my very bad, no good, horrible day

Old Feb 25, 20, 3:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
my very bad, no good, horrible day

It started out well, with a great selection and very friendly staff at JFK. And a very loaded aisle. Even though I have never driven the GLE the Camry was a much more suitable pick. The fuel was a little below full (and for those who rent frequently you know that means it has been driven quite a bit), and they marked it at 3/4 (after acknowledging my executive elite status at the gate).
Then I notice the car shakes at around 40-50mph. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But it shook more violently and so I called to ask where I can exchange a car. The nearest National was half an hour away and I wasn't about to drive half an hour like that, so the agent said there was an Enterprise nearby with full-sized vehicles available (and offered their phone number to me, which I declined). So I went there, which was just 7 minutes away, and they said "no, we don't have any sedans. Only what you see. Large vehicles." They ended up giving me a new Ford Ranger, which I then found out after the walk-around (cause it was Enterprise, not National) that there was no fuel (when you turn it on it says 37 miles til empty).
I went back in to tell them (the lady was new, it seems). And her boss said she can go fill it up, but that would take time and I said just mark it as empty.

Now, thinking about it, if I were to get a gas-guzzler I wouldn't prefer a Ford Ranger. An Explorer would be nicer, and GLE would at least be something new to try.

Is this a bad day, or just a fagetabbit and just be thankful I didn't have anything seriously wrong with the car?
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 4:46 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Posts: 536
Not sure what I was expecting when I clicked on it, but If this is what you’d consider a “very bad, no good, horrible day,” I think you should be very grateful.
qs933 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 5:17 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boston MA
Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Posts: 663
You had to exchange a car and consider it a "very bad, no good, horrible day"

Wow.
sweeper20 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 8:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lexington KY/Coronado, CA
Posts: 939
You talked national into allowing you to swap a car at enterprise over an out-of-balance tire. Given my past experiences with enterprise car swaps , Id say you had a great day!
SixAlpha is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 9:11 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
But I got stuck with a Ranger instead of a nice SUV! When I really wanted a Camry.

It wasn't an out of balance tire, it was something with the engine (transmission)? Because it only happens every other time when I go to 40.
Are Enterprise National swaps hard?
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:31 am
  #6  
Moderator: National Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SE MI
Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Posts: 1,936
So you got a vehicle on an Enterprise swap (not typically allowed, by the way), over a tire issue, and it gets better fuel mileage than the vehicle you wanted. And the vehicle you swapped into is brand new, also highly unusual for Enterprise rentals. I'm not seeing the issue here.
dwbf11 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:03 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Originally Posted by dwbf11 View Post
So you got a vehicle on an Enterprise swap (not typically allowed, by the way), over a tire issue, and it gets better fuel mileage than the vehicle you wanted. And the vehicle you swapped into is brand new, also highly unusual for Enterprise rentals. I'm not seeing the issue here.
I was confused. It obviously does not have better mileage than a Camry. You mean GLE? It has basically the same mileage but is not as nice
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 9:49 am
  #8  
QBK
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: WAS-ish
Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.97MM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,322
Sorry you had a rough experience! My rental experiences with National have mostly been 100% smooth and easy, so I can empathize with your experience that any hitch in the process is disappointing and disruptive.

With that said, my answer to your question is clear, and reflects most of the other commentary in the thread: "Fagetabbit and be thankful there wasn't anything seriously wrong with the car!" Yeah, it was inconvenient for you -- but screwups happen occasionally in any business, and it sounds like National not only took care of you in a meat-and-potatoes kind of way (you got a working car without too much hassle or delay), but went above and beyond their policies (allowed an exchange at an Enterprise, which is in fact a separate company even if it's part of the same family of businesses).

What I expect from a National rental is to get a clean, safe, functional, moderately comfortable car that gets me where I'm going, with minimal time wasted at pickup and dropoff. What I hope to get (and often do get!) is my choice of premium or even "cool" vehicles. But that's above and beyond. And when I get a little less than my expectations (e.g., have to do an exchange, or get stuck with a truck or minivan)... yeah, I'm not happy, but I match those rare experiences up against the many upgrades that I get, and call it a win overall.

So, IMO (and since you asked!), what you had isn't a bad day. Just an "eh, some days are better than others" day.
QBK is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 10:56 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
Sorry you had a rough experience! My rental experiences with National have mostly been 100% smooth and easy, so I can empathize with your experience that any hitch in the process is disappointing and disruptive.

With that said, my answer to your question is clear, and reflects most of the other commentary in the thread: "Fagetabbit and be thankful there wasn't anything seriously wrong with the car!" Yeah, it was inconvenient for you -- but screwups happen occasionally in any business, and it sounds like National not only took care of you in a meat-and-potatoes kind of way (you got a working car without too much hassle or delay), but went above and beyond their policies (allowed an exchange at an Enterprise, which is in fact a separate company even if it's part of the same family of businesses).

What I expect from a National rental is to get a clean, safe, functional, moderately comfortable car that gets me where I'm going, with minimal time wasted at pickup and dropoff. What I hope to get (and often do get!) is my choice of premium or even "cool" vehicles. But that's above and beyond. And when I get a little less than my expectations (e.g., have to do an exchange, or get stuck with a truck or minivan)... yeah, I'm not happy, but I match those rare experiences up against the many upgrades that I get, and call it a win overall.

So, IMO (and since you asked!), what you had isn't a bad day. Just an "eh, some days are better than others" day.
You're right. It wasn't that bad. I was delayed an hour, had somewhat of a downgrade and have to shell out for a few extra gallons of gas, and had to fill up immediately after I picked up the car from Enterprise (which I wasn't planning on doing)
I guess I've never had a bad car from National, even though I've rented hundreds of days with them. I don't know how common it actually is to need help with the car.
As for exchanging with Enterprise, the branch gave me no hassle, even though they weren't notified by National. Plus, if google maps pulls up Enterprise locations when you search for National, it must mean they are more integrated than we thought

Well, thanks for the feedback. It wasn't that bad of a day. Just not the best.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 12:22 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,256
The 20 minutes you saved by going to Enterprise, was ate right back up by the time it took to stand on the line, get processed, do a walk-around and still have to go back inside to the counter. I would have just went to the National location. Last time I called in for a mechanical swap, the location was notified by National and had my contract & new vehicle waiting for me; same model. I was back out the door in 30 seconds.
Yellowjj is online now  
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,709
Originally Posted by Yellowjj View Post
The 20 minutes you saved by going to Enterprise, was ate right back up by the time it took to stand on the line, get processed, do a walk-around and still have to go back inside to the counter. I would have just went to the National location. Last time I called in for a mechanical swap, the location was notified by National and had my contract & new vehicle waiting for me; same model. I was back out the door in 30 seconds.
In cases where I've had to swap, with any company, the agent has typically suggested another car of the same model. I respond that's the last thing I need right now. It could be an undiagnosed flaw they all have. I've then had no pushback taking something else.
SinglePapa2 and Yellowjj like this.
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Old Feb 26, 20, 11:55 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
In cases where I've had to swap, with any company, the agent has typically suggested another car of the same model. I respond that's the last thing I need right now. It could be an undiagnosed flaw they all have. I've then had no pushback taking something else.
nice. I had a Tahoe given for a Wrangler I was tired of
SinglePapa2 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 20, 8:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
You're right. It wasn't that bad. I was delayed an hour, had somewhat of a downgrade and have to shell out for a few extra gallons of gas, and had to fill up immediately after I picked up the car from Enterprise (which I wasn't planning on doing)
I guess I've never had a bad car from National, even though I've rented hundreds of days with them. I don't know how common it actually is to need help with the car.
As for exchanging with Enterprise, the branch gave me no hassle, even though they weren't notified by National. Plus, if google maps pulls up Enterprise locations when you search for National, it must mean they are more integrated than we thought

Well, thanks for the feedback. It wasn't that bad of a day. Just not the best.
Am from NYC area, and when search for "National" get just that, not Enterprise locations anywhere in NJ, NYC, LI, etc...

Yes while Enterprise corporate umbrella includes National and Alamo, their fleets are separate and there are other differences.

During very low inventory periods (major holidays mostly) have had to wait at local National location while vehicles were sourced from (also local) Enterprise. But that doesn't happen very often.

Problem comes with getting vehicles back to their home or whatever location. Something from Enterprise fleet that somehow ends up with National some how or way must get back where it belongs and vice versa.

National like all car rental places does ask at return if vehicle had any issues. Sometimes people don't bother reporting, or vehicle was just dropped off and RA closed out later. If issues aren't picked up by a hiker or other staff as vehicle is moved about/prepared for next rental, then yes it is likely next driver will be the lucky one.
BugsyPal is offline  
Old Feb 27, 20, 8:55 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,709
I bet cars "borrowed" from Enterprise can stay with National, or vice versa, if they are "normal" cars, and as long as mileage meets the criteria for each brand. Ex no 40k mi cars at National, but may be fair game for Enterprise.

Also keep in mind that some of the cars city National offices take from surrounding Enterprise local stores may never come back to that particular branch, but could be one-wayed somewhere entirely different. Even where predominant city patterns tend to be locals shopping or touring on weekends, you might be surprised. Last month I did a Budget one-way from Times Square to JFK. Unusually, the car had NY plates. (Most don't. I later checked the glovebox, and saw the car was registered to LGA originally.) The agent said I'm correct, but they recently bought some new stuff. But it doesn't matter. The week before me, he had another customer going to LAX. A NY-plated car was what was available, so it's gone.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Feb 28, 20 at 10:32 am
Auto Enthusiast is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: