Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/Alamo Fleet Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:28 am

Hertz just purchased 65,000 Polestar EVs, in addition to their recent Tesla buys. Wonder if we'll see competition from the rental car agencies to offer more EVs in fleet, looking at you EHI.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Hertz just purchased 65,000 Polestar EVs, in addition to their recent Tesla buys. Wonder if we'll see competition from the rental car agencies to offer more EVs in fleet, looking at you EHI.
I almost grabbed a Polestsr in ATL. Lot attendant said it was “terrible” and the one vehicle they get the most complaints and negative feedback about. He said people don’t like the gutless power and the bare spec interior.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Philip James
If anyone is interested, the Alamo full size lot at HNL last week consisted of 1, poverty spec Charger with no climate control, just AC, but bizarrely a sunroof. A number of Jetta's (Full size? Really??) and a number of Nissan Altima's in SL and SV spec. I ended up with a 2019 Altima SL with 25500 miles on, as I have a Golf at home so didn't want a Jetta, but regretted my decision, what a gutless POS! Also, I have never had to adjust the temperature as much as I had to in this car.
I had a Charger like that last week out of PNS. No auto entry, no auto climate control, no auto cruise control. Oddly, it had a full, unlocked XM subscription.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aww3583
I had a Charger like that last week out of PNS. No auto entry, no auto climate control, no auto cruise control. Oddly, it had a full, unlocked XM subscription.
Adaptive cruise control is still the exception rather than the norm, and I would consider a manual climate control system an upgrade over the fussy automatic ones...
oftech likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by m907
Adaptive cruise control is still the exception rather than the norm, and I would consider a manual climate control system an upgrade over the fussy automatic ones...
Re: ACC... I wonder if National de-activates it for some reason.

I had a Honda Accord Sport that had ACC, even had the distance adjustment button the steering wheel. It would never activate. Cruise could be set, but the ACC functionality would never turn on.

Several months ago, I had a Volvo V60 where the dash flat out said the ACC wasn't functioning.

Last month I had a XT5 that was nearly fully loaded. It had the sensors that indicated I was too close to the vehicle ahead of me, and the "+" and "-" buttons for the cruise control, but the ACC could never be turned on.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:13 am

I had a Honda Accord Sport that had ACC, even had the distance adjustment button the steering wheel. It would never activate. Cruise could be set, but the ACC functionality would never turn on.

Several months ago, I had a Volvo V60 where the dash flat out said the ACC wasn't functioning.

Last month I had a XT5 that was nearly fully loaded. It had the sensors that indicated I was too close to the vehicle ahead of me, and the "+" and "-" buttons for the cruise control, but the ACC could never be turned on.
Definitely not. Every Toyota I've rented has it, along with a couple VWs and Nissans.

With luxury cars, it's more likely the sensor is there for AEB and they aren't purchasing the package that enables ACC functions.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite

Volvos will have the ACC distance adjustment buttons on the steering wheel regardless of whether it's equipped with ACC.

Every Cadillac I've rented in the last 5 years had the button to adjust the following distance warning but not ACC. GM has some strange priorities (like not equipping Automatic Emergency Braking on all but the top trim)
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by xienon
Volvos will have the ACC distance adjustment buttons on the steering wheel regardless of whether it's equipped with ACC.

Every Cadillac I've rented in the last 5 years had the button to adjust the following distance warning but not ACC. GM has some strange priorities (like not equipping Automatic Emergency Braking on all but the top trim)
Good info, thanks!
xienon and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:32 am
Original Poster

I found that one out the hard way. I paid an upgrade fee for a Volvo S60 because it had the buttons on the wheel and I wanted ACC for a long slog, then learned that the buttons are there when it's not equipped. I also didn't look closely at the trunk because when I got on the road I realized it was FWD too.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: National Executive, UA MileagePlus, BA Executive Club, EI AerClub
Anyone know what I'd be likely to get on a PCAR reservation renting this weekend at a NYC city location as an Executive member? Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by jbk1379
Anyone know what I'd be likely to get on a PCAR reservation renting this weekend at a NYC city location as an Executive member? Thanks for any help!
In NYC where everything is sold out during the weekend, it's whatever they have that's PCAR or above. I always reserve PCAR and this year have gotten everything from 3 series, X3 Kona EV, Stelvio, Q3, Q7, Edge, Avalon, Grand Cherokee.

I've been on the good run lately but I have gotten cars below PCAR like Passat/Camry/Altima before when they had absolutely nothing else. Do pick up 1st thing in the morning for best selection.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:50 am

In NYC where everything is sold out during the weekend, it's whatever they have that's PCAR or above. I always reserve PCAR and this year have gotten everything from 3 series, X3 Kona EV, Stelvio, Q3, Q7, Edge, Avalon, Grand Cherokee.

I've been on the good run lately but I have gotten cars below PCAR like Passat/Camry/Altima before when they had absolutely nothing else. Do pick up 1st thing in the morning for best selection.
Wow, that seems like a great selection for a PCAR! Providing they have one, would it be acceptable to ask for a European luxury car/SUV (i.e. Volvo, Audi, etc.) on a PCAR res? (I'm picking up at 8am, so selection should be better, right?)
Old May 1, 2022, 7:07 pm

Got a brand-new but base trim Chevy Equinox today, asked for the GLC they had parked there, said it would be $75 extra, so stuck with the Equinox. Oddly the Equinox is an SFAR, not an IFAR.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:24 pm

Wow, that seems like a great selection for a PCAR! Providing they have one, would it be acceptable to ask for a European luxury car/SUV (i.e. Volvo, Audi, etc.) on a PCAR res? (I'm picking up at 8am, so selection should be better, right?)
Just ask for it if they have one. Almost nobody books Luxury so the nicer cars are usually not spoken for. Yes, best selection first thing in the morning.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:55 pm

Just ask for it if they have one. Almost nobody books Luxury so the nicer cars are usually not spoken for. Yes, best selection first thing in the morning.
see below

Got a brand-new but base trim Chevy Equinox today, asked for the GLC they had parked there, said it would be $75 extra, so stuck with the Equinox. Oddly the Equinox is an SFAR, not an IFAR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.