Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

A friend made opaque reservation on Priceline, and got Alamo. Any way out to Emerald?

A friend made opaque reservation on Priceline, and got Alamo. Any way out to Emerald?

Old Feb 13, 20, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Rental is still 10 days away, but opaque Priceline confirmations state: "You have been charged for this rental car reservation. Your rental car reservation is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-changeable even if the reservation is not used"

He was happy with $135 all-in. But of course once he heard from me that he'll be driving out of that airport in exact same car (Alamo and National share the lot) - but with no benefits he could derive from National paperwork - he freaked out. He could instead click AMEX EE link to become instant Execute Elite, get 1 free National rental day out of it + string up enough 1-2-F points for another free coupon...

Any way out of his predicament (at least partly)? Too bad that Enterprise/Emerald benefits cross a bit - but Alamo/National not at all(?) On my Emerald Aisle reservations, an attendant often actually fetches a vehicle from Alamo for me lol. It's so funny friend ends up with total zero out of this Priceline predicament
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2 View Post
"You have been charged for this rental car reservation. Your rental car reservation is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-changeable even if the reservation is not used"
You answered your own question. Tell your friend to enjoy his good deal. He's not getting "zero" benefits - he's getting a substantially cheaper rate than he would have gotten through National - quite possibly more valuable than the coupons.
Auto Enthusiast and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SixAlpha View Post
You answered your own question. Tell your friend to enjoy his good deal. He's not getting "zero" benefits - he's getting a substantially cheaper rate than he would have gotten through National - quite possibly more valuable than the coupons.
Everything is straightforward in rentals: "you get what you pay for", and "there is no free lunch". You'd be correct in his case, but for the fact that Priceline hardly beat a National code. Poor guy just never got out of town before...

In life, there are always plenty of ways to skin the cat. Obviously, the AMEX offer + the annual 1-2-F Promo (both expiring by February's end) do create a short-term free lunch. If he slips out of Priceline's death grip. I've seen a thread somewhere of how to get out of Priceline opaque hotel, but was that escape route applicable to cars?

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Feb 13, 20 at 11:25 pm
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm not of a mind to be too harsh on him. He knew nothing of Emerald Club, and of the offers still available thru Feb 2020; so he went Priceline...A year ago I made a mistake of clicking on AMEX Executive link, just because I knew nothing of the AMEX EE link. So I lost (the higher) EE benefits past 12mo. Now, those who got EE last year - complain that they can't extend their EE this year. And of course none of us can get the one-time 5 credits...Everyone is trying to do their best navigating promos to max advantage; and maybe he could still correct his situation. Crazy to be stuck like this with 10 days before his easy rental; it's not like it's holiday dates. He just didn't know anything about rentals
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:54 am

If he slips out of Priceline's death grip.
Crazy to be stuck like this with 10 days before his easy rental; it's not like it's holiday dates.
Not to be insulting, but this is an awful lot of drama over a run-of-the-mill rental car. Why create a bunch of extra stress for your friend over what... $50 in rental credits? Sounds like he's not a terribly frequent traveler, so EE status wouldn't be terribly useful anyways. Just allow the poor guy to feel good about his trip!
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:05 am

SinglePapa2, I commend you for a coherent, readable post.

I echo SixAlpha. If he cares that much he can eat the cost of the Alamo reservation and make a new one with National.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SixAlpha View Post
Not to be insulting, but this is an awful lot of drama over a run-of-the-mill rental car. Why create a bunch of extra stress for your friend over what... $50 in rental credits? Sounds like he's not a terribly frequent traveler, so EE status wouldn't be terribly useful anyways. Just allow the poor guy to feel good about his trip!
again miss the mark: someone here insisted two free days are worth $200. My personal valuation is more like $100. So eating $135 is neither here nor there
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:44 am

Ha! I was the one who said I value 1 free day at $243, which seems to be the maximum price for a random long distance one-way.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Ha! I was the one who said I value 1 free day at $243, which seems to be the maximum price for a random long distance one-way.
off-topic, but for that much you could have a week's round-trip lol...Again my opinion of 1-day is $50-60 average
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is much ado about nothing. I've been EE off and on over the years, and sometimes there's a big/unusual/luxurious upgrade sitting there and sometimes there isn't. More often than not, there isn't.

The advent of Uber/Lyft has meant I rent 80% fewer cars than I did years ago. Now, I just focus on the best value for that particular rental and don't put much stock in the loyalty programs and future "free" rentals, even though Hertz and National keep extending my Exec and Five-Star status for reasons I don't understand. (I think they think I still work for a company that has a corp code with them.) As it turns out, my few rentals anymore are often through Alamo, because I won't use the 3rd-tier companies and Alamo tends to have good rates for decent cars. For an infrequent renter, Alamo is probably the first place I'd send them. For someone without access to a bunch of corp discounts, Costco is usually a good place to start your search. But if I'm within a week of a trip that I'm 100% certain will happen, I'll look at Priceline/Hotwire/etc. too.
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:19 am
Original Poster

The gist of the topic is how to get out of this prepaid rez(?)

I once got out of Hotwire hotel rez: they penalized me $40 and placed the balance into Hot Dollars. Again, there was a topic somewhere re: getting out of Priceline hotel rez. But car(?)
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:22 am

No. And I quote
"Your rental car reservation is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-changeable even if the reservation is not used"
Old Feb 14, 20, 10:39 am

And you never mentioned the National rate. Is it 200, 300? There might not even be a point.
Just because they share the same cars does not mean they have the same rate.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
No. And I quote
"Your rental car reservation is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-changeable even if the reservation is not used"
Hotwire hotels state exactly the same thing. But they did only penalize me $40...Plus there was a topic on how to completely refund Priceline hotel. I hope people here share non-standard information. There are way too many commenters that rehash standard print, just to turn people away with nothing. Why post then?

As to your question on National rate: what corporate code is over $35/day, or like $170/week? Why do people assume National is always $300+/week...
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
The 1-2F rental awards aren't usable for one way rentals (at-least not to get an SUV). Only the free days earned by completing 6 rentals (or 5 if EE) are usable for 1 way rentals. I would value a free day from the 1-2F promo at more like $45.

Last edited by Crackedhead; Feb 14, 20 at 1:34 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: