Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

A friend made opaque reservation on Priceline, and got Alamo. Any way out to Emerald?

A friend made opaque reservation on Priceline, and got Alamo. Any way out to Emerald?

Old Feb 14, 20, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crackedhead View Post
The 1-2F rental awards aren't usable don't seem to be usable for one way rentals (at-least not to get an SUV). Only the free days earned by completing 6 rentals (or 5 if EE) are usable for 1 way rentals. I would value a free day from the 1-2F promo at more like $45.
Incorrect on all counts. u use 1-2-F coupon to bring rental rate of one-way to zero. u drive whatever u find on Aisle; may well be SUV
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I would like my cake. And I would like to eat it. Seriously, predicament?
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:24 pm

I stopped trying to "help" others long time ago - most ppl want to keep things simple.
Not only that but over the last few years i started realizing that loyalty perks are very limited and not worth the extra costs, headaches and inconveniences.
National is still one of the bright spots but still may not be worth it for one off travelers.
YMMV
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2 View Post
Incorrect on all counts. u use 1-2-F coupon to bring rental rate of one-way to zero. u drive whatever u find on Aisle; may well be SUV
I'm referring to actually making an SUV booking (and not a midsize / fullsize) to get access to the Aisle. In some markets (think Seattle/ other areas with Ski slopes) its impossible to get an SUV from the Aisle in the winter. All SUV's are held for folks with SUV rentals.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I would like my cake. And I would like to eat it. Seriously, predicament?
I think either the OP is making much ado about nothing, or the OP is the "friend" and was hoping this forum knew of a loophole to get the Priceline rate along with the free days from the EE promo.

If it's a legit infrequent-traveling friend, the $135 PL rental is very likely the best option. He/she wouldn't get much out of EE, nor does he likely have some theoretical max-value one-way use for the free days.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I think either the OP is making much ado about nothing, or the OP is the "friend" and was hoping this forum knew of a loophole to get the Priceline rate along with the free days from the EE promo.

If it's a legit infrequent-traveling friend, the $135 PL rental is very likely the best option. He/she wouldn't get much out of EE, nor does he likely have some theoretical max-value one-way use for the free days.
no wonder 47k posts - if never even reading the topic. The entire free lunch is available because THE 2 OFFERS are still available thru February. Friend never heard of FT, and had no idea. Which is not surprising, cuz someone with 47k posts appears to have no idea. Why assume there can be absolutely no way out of prepaid car, if there have been found ways out of prepaid hotels?
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rental is still 10 days away, but opaque Priceline confirmations state: "You have been charged for this rental car reservation. Your rental car reservation is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-changeable even if the reservation is not used"
I don't understand what is unclear about this???
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

u r Elite, and from London no less. So what's unclear about (google the forum with discussion headlined:

PSA: How to Cancel Priceline Express Deal / Name Your own Price Hotels.)

03-22-2018 at 07:49 AM#7
I JUST called and got this done for me! Priceline gave me a hotel that wasn't even showing on their regular hotels to choose from! I nicely called the hotel, they told me to call priceline. I called priceline and the 3-way called the hotel for me and got it cancelled! Thanks so much for the tip!

or https://reneedezvous.wordpress.com/2...l-reservation/ , or (10 other) how-to-cancel-Priceline that one can google.

YES. SO I'M SOLICITING SOPHISTICATED ADVICE ON CAR RENTAL CANCELLATION. NOT "I REMEMBER FIRST GRADE TEACHER TELLING ME 2+2 can never be 5"
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Feb 14, 20 at 2:39 pm
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Maybe he should just call then?
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy View Post
Maybe he should just call then?
but it's not JUST call. You know how all CSRs are by default. Those lodging consumers were PREPARED with what to grasp onto
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, follow the advice of that silly link you posted. Call Alamo, try to get them to cancel.

Just admit you booked an Alamo car, then came on here and saw this cool EE offer, and want us to help you get out of the Alamo deal. And now you're annoyed that most of us are saying this is basically the drill when you use Priceline. You get cheap but nonrefundable.

But go ahead, try the approach of the butthurt hotel guest. Maybe it'll work. Who knows.
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
OK, follow the advice of that silly link you posted. Call Alamo, try to get them to cancel.

Just admit you booked an Alamo car, then came on here and saw this cool EE offer, and want us to help you get out of the Alamo deal. And now you're annoyed that most of us are saying this is basically the drill when you use Priceline. You get cheap but nonrefundable.

But go ahead, try the approach of the butthurt hotel guest. Maybe it'll work. Who knows.
Even if your post count gets to 50k via this thread, there will be an exclusive lesson from you to the world: birth will be followed by life, followed by death. In a different sub-forum, you can try a few paragraphs on that. Enter a dozen hotel forums to tell them how pointless their discussions are. Here, maybe someone had experience with prepaid car reservations
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if your post count gets to 50k via this thread, there will be an exclusive lesson from you to the world: birth will be followed by life, followed by death. In a different sub-forum, you can try a few paragraphs on that. Enter a dozen hotel forums to tell them how pointless their discussions are. Here, maybe someone had experience with prepaid car reservations
Em,...ok whatever you say
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:20 pm

off-topic, but for that much you could have a week's round-trip lol...Again my opinion of 1-day is $50-60 average
Depends on where you're going. You couldn't really do a cross country roadtrip and be back in the original area within a week. Or if you did, you probably didn't have time to do anything, and would be at risk of excessive mileage bans. On the other hand, if you plan it right, you could sometimes get a weeklong cross country one-way with Hertz, yes, for that price
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

u r Elite, and from London no less. So what's unclear about (google the forum with discussion headlined:

PSA: How to Cancel Priceline Express Deal / Name Your own Price Hotels.)

03-22-2018 at 07:49 AM#7
I JUST called and got this done for me! Priceline gave me a hotel that wasn't even showing on their regular hotels to choose from! I nicely called the hotel, they told me to call priceline. I called priceline and the 3-way called the hotel for me and got it cancelled! Thanks so much for the tip!

or https://reneedezvous.wordpress.com/2...l-reservation/ , or (10 other) how-to-cancel-Priceline that one can google.

YES. SO I'M SOLICITING SOPHISTICATED ADVICE ON CAR RENTAL CANCELLATION. NOT "I REMEMBER FIRST GRADE TEACHER TELLING ME 2+2 can never be 5"
Why didnít your friend book with National or Hertz or Avis in the first place?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: