No More Hybrids?

Old Feb 5, 20, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
No More Hybrids?

So the feedback I am getting from my usual National rental locations is the hybrid cars, almost all are Ford Fusions, are being phased out of the fleet, and no more are being bought. This is really disappointing given that I was rather happy with 47MPG combined, vs the low-mid 30s I can try and squeeze out of an Altima.

Just curious if anyone with an ear to the ground at EHI has some insight as to why they are not either ordering 2020 Fusion Hybrids, or looking for alternatives from Hyundai, Toyota, etc
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:31 am

The Fusion itself is being phased out, so maybe Ford stopped selling them to rental fleets.
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
The Fusion itself is being phased out, so maybe Ford stopped selling them to rental fleets.
thatís the point - there are other hybrids they could order but donít seem to be doing so.
Old Feb 6, 20, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL KM, AS, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
I rented a Prius from Hertz several years ago. I wonder if National would consider getting some of those. They are generally low maintenance and pretty roomy. Wouldn't be my first choice for a rental, but this past weekend it would have been great for driving around town.

-J.
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
thatís the point - there are other hybrids they could order but donít seem to be doing so.
I don't usually see hybrids of any kind other than the Fusion at any of the major rental companies. I'm guessing the extra cost of a hybrid versus a gas model is not worth it to rental companies.
xienon likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 10:39 am

I had a hybrid 2019 Prius from Budget 3 weeks ago. 10.1k mi, MA plates. So, fairly new.

To my surprise, this is actually not a car I would choose if it were a choice. The rear window glass has a sharp bend in the middle, so there's a blind spot directly behind the driver. The gear shifter is really a joystick like my old Mac II in kindergarten. It was difficult at first to properly shift from P into D, since you have to follow an illuminated path on the center dash. If you switch into R, N, or B (I guess battery only mode?), the car starts beeping like a dump truck backing up. Actually backing up and turning, like during parallel parking, the car makes alternating beeps and warning chimes, like a trio of intensive care EKG machines. There's a beep and an orange line on the left display whenever the lane departure warning system detects a typical Queens highway with rubbed out lane markings. The default radar adaptive cruise control setting automatically slows the car by 10 mph when the system sees another car 3 lengths ahead. On a Queens highway, that means another car (or 2) will use that as a chance to sneak in and stop short. Overriding it to the shortest allowable distance setting takes some fiddling in the menu screens.

On the flip side, in 113 miles of mixed city, suburban, and highway driving, I calculated I got 49.1 mpg.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL KM, AS, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
I had a hybrid 2019 Prius from Budget 3 weeks ago. 10.1k mi, MA plates. So, fairly new.

It was difficult at first to properly shift from P into D, since you have to follow an illuminated path on the center dash. If you switch into R, N, or B (I guess battery only mode?), the car starts beeping like a dump truck backing up.
The B is for engine braking if you are going down a steep incline, at least from my understanding. Without the motor on, the wheels can spin freely and you would gain speed much more quickly than with in a vehicle with an internal combustion engine and real transmission.

Once you get the hang of how everything works, it drives decently. I have some experience driving larger vehicles so I was able to find my groove.

-J.
Ordpc and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 6:57 pm

You know what else really surprises me in this video? The guy says when the gas engine turned on, but I can hardly hear it. When I drove the Prius, electrical mode would engage on slowing down and at low speeds, like it did for him. But above 25 mph or so, the gas engine turning on would sound like a regional jet engine roaring behind me as it climbs to 35k feet.
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:16 am

Why don't you just rent a Camry if you want the mileage? It is as good as the hybrid you were talking about.
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Why don't you just rent a Camry if you want the mileage? It is as good as the hybrid you were talking about.
Maybe on the highway but not in dense stop and go city traffic.
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by xienon View Post
Maybe on the highway but not in dense stop and go city traffic.
The fusion hybrid does not get 47 mpg if you do any significant amount of city driving. I got 20s with short trips in the city.
Old Feb 9, 20, 11:34 am

Economy and compact were the same price, and I stacked it with a free upgrade coupon to intermediate. The Prius is what I got assigned. This was a one-way with Budget from JFK to the suburbs, not an Emerald Aisle situation where you can take whatever you want.
Old Feb 9, 20, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Economy and compact were the same price, and I stacked it with a free upgrade coupon to intermediate. The Prius is what I got assigned. This was a one-way with Budget from JFK to the suburbs, not an Emerald Aisle situation where you can take whatever you want.
I have gone 100 miles and the Camry's fuel gauge did not drop below full (freeway driving).
Anyway, yea, you get what you get
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

not even close. I was lucky to get 31mpg with the Camry vs my usual 47mpg in the Fusion
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:42 pm

I rented a Camry last week and got in the low 30s or upper 20s. Not even close to a hybrid.

I have gone 100 miles and the Camry's fuel gauge did not drop below full (freeway driving).
Anyway, yea, you get what you get
"F" on a fuel gauge isn't actually full; usually you can fill a little beyond that and it won't move above F for obvious reasons. This is standard across most vehicles, though 100 miles seems a bit of a stretch.

-J.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: