Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I rented a Camry last week and got in the low 30s or upper 20s. Not even close to a hybrid.

"F" on a fuel gauge isn't actually full; usually you can fill a little beyond that and it won't move above F for obvious reasons. This is standard across most vehicles, though 100 miles seems a bit of a stretch.

-J.
It was 80 miles definitely, and gauge was still at full. All freeway.
But mileage varies a lot depending on how you drive
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by s0ssos
It was 80 miles definitely, and gauge was still at full. All freeway.
But mileage varies a lot depending on how you drive
80 miles I could believe, especially on the highway. Driving conservatively, it would only be a couple of gallons, which is within the F mark on the fuel gauge.

-J.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Avis/Budget seem to have lots of Prius in their fleet. The Fusion Hybrid is pretty common too. I haven't seen any at National since I started using them ~2 months ago.

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I had a hybrid 2019 Prius from Budget 3 weeks ago. 10.1k mi, MA plates. So, fairly new.
To my surprise, this is actually not a car I would choose if it were a choice.
While I'd prefer a Fusion hybrid, I actually quite like the Prius. Sure it's small and the asinine beep when in reverse, but the gas mileage is incredible for something that size. Now if it only had heated seats, but then it'd dent the fuel economy.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Avis/Budget seem to have lots of Prius in their fleet. The Fusion Hybrid is pretty common too. I haven't seen any at National since I started using them ~2 months ago.

While I'd prefer a Fusion hybrid, I actually quite like the Prius. Sure it's small and the asinine beep when in reverse, but the gas mileage is incredible for something that size. Now if it only had heated seats, but then it'd dent the fuel economy.
I've yet to get a hybrid from Avis. I've rented both the Prius and Fusion Hybrid and I think your comments are right on the money. I liked the Fusion Hybrid a lot (I even managed to get a speeding ticket in it!), and I had to sleep in it! The Prius on the other hand can haul a lot more with its huge trunk. They both serve their purpose, though I think I'd give a slight edge to the Fusion as well since it has the potential to be much more nicely equipped.

-J.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think I found a workaround but not sure if it will work. At the airport I am picking up from, Alamo and National share the lot space. I was able to book a hybrid car on Alamo.com, and my full size car on National.com. My plan is to go out to the lot and tell them I am here for the hybrid, which would be put aside for me, and then drive it out of the exit as a National rental. I doubt they will have a problem with it. If it works, this would be my go-to strategy for making sure one of these cars is available for me.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think I found a workaround but not sure if it will work. At the airport I am picking up from, Alamo and National share the lot space. I was able to book a hybrid car on Alamo.com, and my full size car on National.com. My plan is to go out to the lot and tell them I am here for the hybrid, which would be put aside for me, and then drive it out of the exit as a National rental. I doubt they will have a problem with it. If it works, this would be my go-to strategy for making sure one of these cars is available for me.
It will probably work, but it would be better to be above board and simply ask the National greeter for a hybrid.

What is the insistence on a hybrid about, anyway? You don't save many MPG over a gas engine Altima, Sentra, Camry, etc. unless you exclusively drive at low speeds.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by m907
It will probably work, but it would be better to be above board and simply ask the National greeter for a hybrid.

What is the insistence on a hybrid about, anyway? You don't save many MPG over a gas engine Altima, Sentra, Camry, etc. unless you exclusively drive at low speeds.
the difference in mpg is huge, for me an increase of 10-15 mpg over a Camry or Altima, and even better when stuck in Southern California traffic. Sentra’s are not for EE members.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just rented a 2020 Prius at HNL. 2000 miles and it was just put into service 12/19. So they may still be getting them.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:43 am

the difference in mpg is huge, for me an increase of 10-15 mpg over a Camry or Altima, and even better when stuck in Southern California traffic. Sentra’s are not for EE members.
The highway numbers are comparable, which is why I said it's marginal unless you only drive at low speeds.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Tony King
Just rented a 2020 Prius at HNL. 2000 miles and it was just put into service 12/19. So they may still be getting them.
Hawaii has always had a different fleet mix than the rest of the country - different purchasing agreements based on what's available on the islands.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
National at YVR still has Fusion Hybrids floating around. Just picked one up.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Well that was a bust - the location didn't even both putting a hybrid aside for my reservation and just asked me to take another random car
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:53 pm

So the feedback I am getting from my usual National rental locations is the hybrid cars, almost all are Ford Fusions, are being phased out of the fleet, and no more are being bought. This is really disappointing given that I was rather happy with 47MPG combined, vs the low-mid 30s I can try and squeeze out of an Altima.

Just curious if anyone with an ear to the ground at EHI has some insight as to why they are not either ordering 2020 Fusion Hybrids, or looking for alternatives from Hyundai, Toyota, etc
Don't now how widespread it is yet,but National does offer EV options, and expect that is where things will be going in future over hybrids.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:58 pm

Well that was a bust - the location didn't even both putting a hybrid aside for my reservation and just asked me to take another random car
Sadly that is how National rolls 99.5% of time; they promise to get you "a" vehicle, but not necessarily what was reserved or wanted. Yes, rates will be adjusted as required for any modifications, but other than that they consider themselves having upheld their end of contractual agreement.

Find only way to possibly be part of that .5% that does have success is where location (especially manager) knows renter (frequent flyer so to speak), and thus out of courtesy may pull something and put it aside (subject to availability), but if inventory is tight all bets are off.

Depending upon how much of a stink you're willing to make could always reach out to EC CS to see if they will give you something for your troubles.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

I ended up with a Ecoboost Fusion, and it has some of the worst gas mileage I've ever experienced for a full size car - barely 25MPG combined city/hwy. I went back to the location expecting to swap out for an up-trim Altima, but saw a SE Hybrid on the Enterprise side and they pulled it for me to to take. So that takes non-Hybrid Fusions and Camrys off my list due to terrible mileage performance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.