Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

ALERT: Key West is now a full blown cluster....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite

EHI has opened an on-airport location at EYW. Previously a National/Alamo rental meant a shuttle ride to the rental office over on N. Roosevelt Blvd. That location is still there, but now EHI and the airport has figured out a way to cram National/Alamo into the airport. They've got a counter in the terminal net to the airline baggage service counters. No room for a queue, so the line blocks the Hertz counter. No express service for Emerald Club, let alone anything for elites. The counter hands you a contract, sends you out to where the cars are. EHI has an area at the far end of the lower level of the parking garage. The spots are not signed, the staffer who meets you looks at your contract and points you to a car. Returns are coming into the same spots at the time, so no idea whats ready to be rented. No Emerald Aisle, no Virtual Aisle. Because it's such a goat rope, you are basically told "take it or leave it". Meanwhile Avis, Hertz, and ever Thrifty have assigned spots and organization. Never thought I'd say that I miss the shuttle, but I do. They knew who was coming and had things ready for your arrival. Moving on to the airport should have been a good thing, but not in this case.....
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Hoping this is better next April when I will be there. Last time I rented in MIA and drove to EYW - this time flying direct into EYW. I know they don't have an exec aisle but hoping they will let me pick something when at the counter (I'm exec and booked standard midsize)
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:47 pm

Anyone have any recent experience in EYW? Arriving soon, with exec status. Have a midsize reserved, would like to end up in an SUV or 4 door pickup or something similar.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Anyone have any recent experience in EYW? Arriving soon, with exec status. Have a midsize reserved, would like to end up in an SUV or 4 door pickup or something similar.
Sorry, no clue. Was in the Keys over Easter but flew in and out of MIA this time. My full size became a BMW 5 series this trip. Be sue to let us know if it's any better down there. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by duxfan; Apr 23, 2021 at 5:04 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:36 am

Got to the counter when multiple flights landed - it was crowded down there, but service was fast. Asked the lady what cars she had, and was told only one: a Jeep Compass. When I went out, there were additional cars in the National area, but all your small-mid average cars, nothing special.

Got outside and it's a 2020 with 35k miles and is about to need tires on the front. If I was leaving EYW, I may have pushed back on it but for local, it's fine. Was hoping for something a little bigger as it has almost no room for luggage, but it got the job done.

I went back the next night to pick up more friends and did see a few pickups and full size Jeeps, so perhaps there are more options at other times.
Ordpc and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Ugh, it sounds to me like they still are operating without the resources they need to do it right. Personally, if the van ride was timely, the ride to the old location wasn't bad. Plus the driver radioed ahead, and they were prepared for you. The old location could have been better organized, and a small Emerald Aisle could've been created. EHI still uses the location as an Enterprise location, it's on N. Roosevelt.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by duxfan
Ugh, it sounds to me like they still are operating without the resources they need to do it right. Personally, if the van ride was timely, the ride to the old location wasn't bad. Plus the driver radioed ahead, and they were prepared for you. The old location could have been better organized, and a small Emerald Aisle could've been created. EHI still uses the location as an Enterprise location, it's on N. Roosevelt.
It wasn't horrible, but they could certainly improve. I never used the location on Roosevelt but I have seen it.

Don't some locations allow you to pick you vehicle in the app just before arrival? I thought I had seen that a while back with National but perhaps getting it mixed up with someone else. Regardless, that'd be a great way to do this - make it where I could pick my vehicle in advance, and have a key pickup only line at the counter to get the key (or have them waiting with the attendant in the garage that also handles returns)
Old May 7, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by bchandler02
It wasn't horrible, but they could certainly improve. I never used the location on Roosevelt but I have seen it.

Don't some locations allow you to pick you vehicle in the app just before arrival? I thought I had seen that a while back with National but perhaps getting it mixed up with someone else. Regardless, that'd be a great way to do this - make it where I could pick my vehicle in advance, and have a key pickup only line at the counter to get the key (or have them waiting with the attendant in the garage that also handles returns)
I've reserved vehicles in the app (pre-Covid) at TUL. Haven't seen it anywhere else though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.