Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free days value

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
BugsyPal were you EE at the time of the rental? If not, I think that's why your free days does not cover the full amount on the SUV you booked.
What a difference a day makes....

Reached out to EC CS again today and things went smooth as silk; full daily cost plus taxes, fees, etc... covered by FD.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
It seems that one-ways into Manhattan have recently been blocked for the foreseeable future, from anywhere in the country. That could be behind your observed error message.
According to my sources one way rentals into Manhattan are now pretty much off the table. Certainly from area airports (LGA, Newark, JFK). Not sure about say picking up in Jersey City or similar off airport location and dropping off in Manhattan.

Thing is there isn't a specific message telling people why reservations are blocked; all you get is generic "location has no vehicles available..." Am guessing many simply give up rather than changing drop off location to same as pick-up or some place else that will go through.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Flying Blue/SPG/Sixt platinum, Hertz PC, Club Carlsson, Best Western Diamond, IHG
Hi
It is working for the moment. We can drop off in Manhattan. But I confirm that "No vehicule available..." was displayed before when you choose a Manhattan location. Any other location was working.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by play3000
Hi
It is working for the moment. We can drop off in Manhattan. But I confirm that "No vehicule available..." was displayed before when you choose a Manhattan location. Any other location was working.
Sometimes there is no ryhyme or reason to National's reservation systems. If you can book a one way with drop off in Manhattan or whatever do it at that time. Because you cannot be certain option will exist if you try again at later time.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:43 am

If you have a free day you can drop off anywhere without being charged. I can’t confirm for simply dropping in Manhattan. I’ve only used free days to one way into Manhattan and then immediately open another contract at the Manhattan location keeping the same car.
The reason is because EHI doesn’t own the parking garages it operates from in Manhattan. They have to pay per space and only have a limited number of spaces. No point paying $50 to park a car in Manhattan when they own their lot at LGA.
They also don’t want an unpredictable inventory at their Manhattan locations. They’ll keep enough to fill the day’s reservations, plus a few extra.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:44 pm

Not necessarily true. Some one-ways into Manhattan have a separate taxable drop fee, sometimes $100 or more, to avoid price insensitive free day inbounds messing up their inventory forecasts.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Flying Blue/SPG/Sixt platinum, Hertz PC, Club Carlsson, Best Western Diamond, IHG
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Sometimes there is no ryhyme or reason to National's reservation systems. If you can book a one way with drop off in Manhattan or whatever do it at that time. Because you cannot be certain option will exist if you try again at later time.
Hi
It is also true for any other drop off you want to made to a different location. Got the case in France, taking a car at CDG and dropping in Rennes => not working one day, but working few days after.
For my rental in US, no point to change now my reservation: free days valuation is too low with the rate I got (25USD a day), and if I book with a new rate, the price is over the price I got (even if add more than one free day) and does not include LDW and SLI (where it is inlcuded in my current rate). So, I will end up with current price and one free day.
Conclusion: you have no way to be sure that a rate and conditions you have one day, will be the same the day after...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.