Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Emerald Executive SAN (San Diego)BEWARE!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Ok, stay away from National at SAN. I’ve been Executive and Executive Elite for years and was treated like I had NO status whatsoever by the people manning the kiosk in the garage. ESPECIALLY, the older gentleman. They had compacts and pickups in executive aisle and a dozen larger cars to the side but you were charged double to get one.....such a joke, taking advantage of their best customers.

STAY AWAY!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by readytgo
STAY AWAY!
How about YOU go away? I rent from SAN 15-20 times a year and they've always taken great care of me.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:41 pm

STAY AWAY!!!!
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. SAN has always been a one of my best locations for car choices. Very frequently get the cars I'm looking for - large SUVs and/or decently equipped sedans
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
If the OP’s Do-You-Know-Who-I-Am attitude towards the National staff is similar to the tone of what was written here, I probably would have charged the OP double too.
m907 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Ok, stay away from National at SAN. I’ve been Executive and Executive Elite for years and was treated like I had NO status whatsoever by the people manning the kiosk in the garage. ESPECIALLY, the older gentleman. They had compacts and pickups in executive aisle and a dozen larger cars to the side but you were charged double to get one.....such a joke, taking advantage of their best customers.

STAY AWAY!!!!
Originally Posted by BlueEngineer
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. SAN has always been a one of my best locations for car choices. Very frequently get the cars I'm looking for - large SUVs and/or decently equipped sedans

Glad to hear you’ve had good experiences there. I must have just caught them on an off day....but it was really bad. I’ve been a big fan of National for years but have never been treated that way. Oh well, it happens.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:52 am

this mirrored my pre-Xmas Thrifty experience
1. instant Blue Chip member, I just walked to airport lot like it was Emerald Aisle
2. My $28.27 all-in rental gave me a FREE DAY to use all next year
3. Joked with manager, and got Mid-Size SUV choice on mid-size reservation
4. Picked 2020 Encore (which for 3,000mi on the odometer, shifted oddly btw)
5. Exit booth, upon hearing that the needle pointed hardly F, marked me 1/2 tank

I must admit that staff is likely 30% lower paid than National's
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Once returning at SAN, I returned a car after I drove it into a curiously tall curb when parking on a hill in La Jolla. There was a giant dent in the front of the car. It was very ugly. Very visible. The return clerk marked me as no damage and gave me the receipt. I pointed out the damage to him (yeah, I know...) because I just wanted to get the claim process going with my credit card and get it over with. I damaged the car and it was significant damage in my opinion. Something I would have to get fixed had it been my personal car. Since he had already checked me in and marked no damage in the system, instead he filled out some other kind of express incident form and gave me that so I would have something to submit over to the credit card. But I got the impression he would have rather I not pointed out the damage.

It took a good six weeks before they finally sent me a payment notice and I was able to submit that last piece of documentation to the credit card so they could pay it.

Oddly the damage was less than $400. They got the repair done all the way out in El Cajon. I was quite impressed with the low repair cost given the magnitude of the damage.
JaysonW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.