Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Desk pre-printed RA causing additional fees... check your receipts!

Old Aug 29, 19, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE

I recently recently a 3-day reservation at a non-aisle location. Pick up at 3pm on Monday, drop off at 3pm Thursday. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at time of pickup.

At drop-off, the grand total was $70 more than expected.

I studied the receipt closely and saw that my pickup time was shown as 5:58am on Monday. My 3-day reservation was billed as 4 days.

The counter agent had pre-printed the day’s rental agreements to speed up the pick-up process.

A quick call to the general customer service line got things straightened out. The phone agent was very nonchalant about it, but offered an apology.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
The counter agent had pre-printed the dayís rental agreements to speed up the pick-up process.
Not just National, Budget did it to me as well with their Fastpass preprinting the contracts that you pick up at the counter.
Old Sep 2, 19, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
I recently recently a 3-day reservation at a non-aisle location. Pick up at 3pm on Monday, drop off at 3pm Thursday. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary at time of pickup.

At drop-off, the grand total was $70 more than expected.

I studied the receipt closely and saw that my pickup time was shown as 5:58am on Monday. My 3-day reservation was billed as 4 days.

The counter agent had pre-printed the day’s rental agreements to speed up the pick-up process.

A quick call to the general customer service line got things straightened out. The phone agent was very nonchalant about it, but offered an apology.
I rent a LOT from our local private airport Enterprise location - reservations go through my National account - and it's quite common for this office to "get the rental started" the night before I am scheduled to pickup the car. But in all cases, even though the rental contract may start the night before, the "rental start period" is always what is noted on my reservation or when I actually pickup. I rent here very often and have built a great relationship, so it's never been a problem for me. I rent one way to and from this location 2-3 times a month - so I take whatever they don't want anymore to dropoff at JFK/LGA/HPN/BDL and then come back with something nice for them. I ask what they want me to return with when I pickup and try to bring back what they are looking for. I try to find low mileage, newer cars. Sometimes they need a large vehicle - last month I brought a brand new Luxury Ford Expedition from JFK for them that had a $170 upgrade fee, which they refunded for me

Like you noted, a quick call to the cust service line, or even checking with the agent when you pickup, can resolve this
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
I rent a LOT from our local private airport Enterprise location - reservations go through my National account - and it's quite common for this office to "get the rental started" the night before I am scheduled to pickup the car. But in all cases, even though the rental contract may start the night before, the "rental start period" is always what is noted on my reservation or when I actually pickup. I rent here very often and have built a great relationship, so it's never been a problem for me. I rent one way to and from this location 2-3 times a month - so I take whatever they don't want anymore to dropoff at JFK/LGA/HPN/BDL and then come back with something nice for them. I ask what they want me to return with when I pickup and try to bring back what they are looking for. I try to find low mileage, newer cars. Sometimes they need a large vehicle - last month I brought a brand new Luxury Ford Expedition from JFK for them that had a $170 upgrade fee, which they refunded for me

Like you noted, a quick call to the cust service line, or even checking with the agent when you pickup, can resolve this
There are two things at play: they draw up the contract and that is the "rental time" but then there is a second time called the "charged time" which stamps at the point at which they assign a vehicle to your contract. This is quite common for small locations with limited staff that hand keys out at the counter (no "exit gate") to draw up contracts in advance but the "charge time" should not actually start until they attach the vehicle to your contract. It is definitely worth making sure you leave the location with a contract that clearly shows your "charge time" which should appear right below the "rental time" once the vehicle has been assigned to you.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
There are two things at play: they draw up the contract and that is the "rental time" but then there is a second time called the "charged time" which stamps at the point at which they assign a vehicle to your contract. This is quite common for small locations with limited staff that hand keys out at the counter (no "exit gate") to draw up contracts in advance but the "charge time" should not actually start until they attach the vehicle to your contract. It is definitely worth making sure you leave the location with a contract that clearly shows your "charge time" which should appear right below the "rental time" once the vehicle has been assigned to you.
Iíve rented from this location 50+ times in the last few years and this is the first time this has ever happened. Hopefully it was a one-off mistake on an agentís part.
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL KM, B6 Faux-saic, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
That happened to me once at Hertz many years ago. That said, I had texted my friend (the manager lol) that I was going to be arriving early. But when I spotted it they adjusted my return time up half an hour and it evened itself out.

-J.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:51 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
That happened to me once at Hertz many years ago. That said, I had texted my friend (the manager lol) that I was going to be arriving early. But when I spotted it they adjusted my return time up half an hour and it evened itself out.

-J.
The real problem with what my home location does is they pre-print the contract then you go out to the booth in the garage (skip the counter for Emerald only) and they attach a key to that pre-printed contract but don't give you a new contract print out showing your vehicle, since it isn't assigned until you get there and select it. This can be a problem if you get pulled over or you need to file a damage claim as your "original contract" does not show what vehicle you rented.

Bottom line when dealing with these rental car companies is you need to get the necessary paperwork every step of the way. That means a contact when you pick up, showing your exact charged time and what vehicle you have. That means if you spot damage on the vehicle you get it marked before you leave... if you don't see it until you get out of the garage into more light, drive back around and show it to them and get it marked. That also means a receipt when you drop the car off. These steps take minimal extra time but can save you a lot of hassle and delay in the event something goes wrong.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: DL KM, B6 Faux-saic, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
The real problem with what my home location does is they pre-print the contract then you go out to the booth in the garage (skip the counter for Emerald only) and they attach a key to that pre-printed contract but don't give you a new contract print out showing your vehicle, since it isn't assigned until you get there and select it. This can be a problem if you get pulled over or you need to file a damage claim as your "original contract" does not show what vehicle you rented.

Bottom line when dealing with these rental car companies is you need to get the necessary paperwork every step of the way. That means a contact when you pick up, showing your exact charged time and what vehicle you have. That means if you spot damage on the vehicle you get it marked before you leave... if you don't see it until you get out of the garage into more light, drive back around and show it to them and get it marked. That also means a receipt when you drop the car off. These steps take minimal extra time but can save you a lot of hassle and delay in the event something goes wrong.
Oh yikes... no bueno!

At Hertz you didn't pick your own vehicle (at the time) AND there was a gate you had to go through (unless your car was in the back, then no gate). But I would always have an accurate contract. Even that one time, it had the car I was for sure renting on it.

-J.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: