Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Why do employees lie when they will inevitably be called out?

Old Aug 3, 19, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

Rented a car at a downtown branch recently - hated the car, so went to swap it at the airport the next day. The "manager" claims they are sold out and that they can only swap my 100% clean, 100% full of gas, for a pickup truck.

Me: what about these 200 cars in the emerald club aisle?

"Manager": oh those are all reserved.

Me: great, you can give someone my car.

"Manager": sorry every car is taken.

Me: weird, the app shows cars available in pretty much every size to book right now.

I mean, how stupid did the employee think I was? Lot full of cars, easy to check if cars available via app etc.
Old Aug 3, 19, 11:12 am

Yeah...I feel ya...they rarely want you to swap car in a rental...I don't know if it's paper work, or if just everyone would be swapping all the time. As far as I can tell, they don't even have to swap a car at all during a rental, especially not for a "better" one, unless you've informed them of a potential "fault". I think if it was the norm to be able to swap at anywhere, at any point, it would cause a bit of chaos on the supply end.

I've seen some pretty empty lots and still the app said I could rent almost any class...and also seen a full looking lot with little to nothing available in the app so there could have been plenty of aisle reservations...but doubtful they were all reserved, especially if they didn't "check"

How did it end?
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I ended up getting a Maserati!! But, the employees could not do basic math... at first it tried to charge me the Premier selection price for the days prior (i.e. when I was driving a crappy car) and the days after the swap... then after showing the two employees how to do basic math they agreed it was wrong. So we agreed to half the upgrade price in half - since it was the same number of days before and after... but the guy could not be bothered to look at my contract once it printed out and so I was charged $0 for my upgrade. All's well that ends well!!
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
Wow!! So, they actually provided EXCELLENT SERVICE, above and beyond what could ever be expected, then you chose to complain about them on Flyertalk. Well done.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday View Post
Wow!! So, they actually provided EXCELLENT SERVICE, above and beyond what could ever be expected, then you chose to complain about them on Flyertalk. Well done.
well I did intend to pay for the upgrade fee... i don't think the guy being an incompetent moron who doesn't know how to charge an extra $75/day qualifies as "excellent service"....
cestmoi123 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday View Post
Fortunately, OP complained here and not to National, where the Manager would have been "counselled" for the freebie and learned the lesson that no good deed goes unpunished. E.g., never, ever cut someone a break again.
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

again, he did not do me a favor... he spent 30 minutes trying to charge me and at the end thought he had charged me... I donít see how this is him doing me a favor? at no time did he intend not to charge me... he kept overcharging me and I kept calling him out on it with each contract print-out and then I saw him do it once again charge the 75/day but credit me for the one day I had the crappy car.... and when the contract printed out (which he could not be bothered to look at) and the system did not charge me for any days, nor credit me for the one day... hardly stellar customer service...

the fact someone asked me how I ended doesnít change the initial bs I went through in post 1....

I rent 200 days a year, and often pay extra for premier selection and even the exotic collection.... I donít want to save $75/day... I want to walk into an airport location for a swap and not given a hard time...
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
again, he did not do me a favor... he spent 30 minutes trying to charge me and at the end thought he had charged me... I donít see how this is him doing me a favor? at no time did he intend not to charge me... he kept overcharging me and I kept calling him out on it with each contract print-out and then I saw him do it once again charge the 75/day but credit me for the one day I had the crappy car.... and when the contract printed out (which he could not be bothered to look at) and the system did not charge me for any days, nor credit me for the one day... hardly stellar customer service...

the fact someone asked me how I ended doesnít change the initial bs I went through in post 1....

I rent 200 days a year, and often pay extra for premier selection and even the exotic collection.... I donít want to save $75/day... I want to walk into an airport location for a swap and not given a hard time...
yeah good luck explaining to these people sometimes you wonder with some of the comments who would be bigger idiots the people working there or if they were in their shoes
Old Aug 5, 19, 9:08 pm

If this thread is indicative of the attitude that you brought, then I wouldn't count out the possibility that the 30 minutes he spent was just him slow-rolling you to waste your time.

I certainly hope that's what it was.
qs933 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
If this thread is indicative of the attitude that you brought, then I wouldn't count out the possibility that the 30 minutes he spent was just him slow-rolling you to waste your time.

I certainly hope that's what it was.
so it's my fault that they said they had no cars when 200 cars were visible? I hope you're not in customer service and that you don't have a business based on your inability to understand the issue here... and what part of I was happy to pay the asking price don't you understand? I wanted to give them an extra $75 - sheesh... you're unbelievable.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:04 am

so it's my fault that they said they had no cars when 200 cars were visible? I hope you're not in customer service and that you don't have a business based on your inability to understand the issue here... and what part of I was happy to pay the asking price don't you understand? I wanted to give them an extra $75 - sheesh... you're unbelievable.
bro your wasting your time chances are these people were probably in the customer service business so they can't understand you
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Ijones027 View Post
bro your wasting your time chances are these people were probably in the customer service business so they can't understand you
You mean, they are so incompetent that they are only allowed to be in the customer service business.
Cause if they were in a business where their work truly mattered people would be dying.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Hate to say it, but that’s exactly what was going through my head as I read the thread...that may not have been the OP’s intent and not what actually went down, but not sure what the point was of posting other than ragging on the employee.

As for the comments here about customer service employees in general? If you're wondering why you’re also spending 30 minutes asking for a simple exchange, see if treating them a little nicer helps.
Often1 and m907 like this.

Last edited by qs933; Aug 6, 19 at 1:23 am
Old Aug 6, 19, 4:42 am

I also think that national won't reward their staff for swapping cars because a customer doesn't like what they got...so mostly they're just doing their job - stuck between their boss saying don't swap and an unhappy customer...not a fun place to be.
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by qs933 View Post

Hate to say it, but that’s exactly what was going through my head as I read the thread...that may not have been the OP’s intent and not what actually went down, but not sure what the point was of posting other than ragging on the employee.

As for the comments here about customer service employees in general? If you're wondering why you’re also spending 30 minutes asking for a simple exchange, see if treating them a little nicer helps.
Attitude, attitude, and attitude.

5 minute wait for nice guy asking for a swap.

25 extra minutes to teach the guy with a chip on his shoulder a lesson.

Works that way the world round.
m907 and DJ_Iceman like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: