Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

what does it cost the agent to give you an upgrade?

Old Jul 12, 19, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

For those who know the workings, do you know how much it "hurts" the agent to give you a nicer car, when you have status and there is nothing good on the aisle?
Some people are very reluctant, some people are very willing to help. Why? Does it actually cost them anything?
Only thing I can think of is it takes away a vehicle you may have been able to sell an upgrade for (is that directly money in their pocket?)
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:27 am

Iíve had an agent refuse to give me a downgrade (a CCAR when I reserved a FCAR) saying that itíll hurt his score because Iím EE.
I ended up making a reservation for Economy and then letting myself be ďupgradedĒ to the compact I wanted
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by nd2010; Aug 13, 19 at 4:52 pm
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:33 am

Good question, I've wondered the same. I also wonder if location managers have a yearly budget for the number of free days they can give out. I once wrote their customer service about a couple of fairly minor issues and was credited 4 free days. It was at the end of the year so I wonder if he was just giving them out.
Old Jul 13, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
The employees do get a percentage of the upsells (insurance, upgrades, fuel) they add on. I'm not sure what percentage.

They don't get the commission however if the insurance or prepaid fuel option is selected during the booking process.
Old Jul 13, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
Iíve had an agent refuse to give me a downgrade (a CCAR when I reserved a FCAR) saying that itíll hurt his score because Iím EE
Would it hurt less than a direct complaint about him to corporate customer service?
btonkid12345 likes this.

Search this Thread