what now, popups in rental cars?

Reply

Old May 7, 19, 8:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,626
what now, popups in rental cars?

I got the Fusion Titanium, thinking it would have all the features. Apparently it doesn't have a pop-up blocker though.
s0ssos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 9:31 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 968
What are you referring to?
m907 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 4:49 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,626
On the touchscreen you get popups, like Ford wanting to connect to wifi to update software, and then another one telling you you are being watched (something about data collection). They don't go away. They remain. And come on every time you drive.
s0ssos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 7:54 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Everett,WA
Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
On the touchscreen you get popups, like Ford wanting to connect to wifi to update software, and then another one telling you you are being watched (something about data collection). They don't go away. They remain. And come on every time you drive.
If you answer "Yes/ allow" it should give the option to never ask again. Either way, its just one or two buttons to press on start up.
Rental_Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 8:38 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,626
Originally Posted by Rental_Guy View Post
If you answer "Yes/ allow" it should give the option to never ask again. Either way, its just one or two buttons to press on start up.
It is annoying to have popups on the rental car.

It asks for a data connection, if you click yes it goes to the wifi selection. It does not go away. I do not care to have the car use wifi to update itself.

I guess I have to rule out Fords in the future.
s0ssos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 12:50 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
I guess I have to rule out Fords in the future.
Sounds good - more for me. Fords in top trims are my go to with few exceptions, even if I have to dismiss a prompt.
mapelle621 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 7:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
It is annoying to have popups on the rental car.

It asks for a data connection, if you click yes it goes to the wifi selection. It does not go away. I do not care to have the car use wifi to update itself.

I guess I have to rule out Fords in the future.
I just had a 2019 Fusion Hybrid Titanium. I remember getting the pop-up about a data connection, but I clicked ďnoĒ and it would go away.

It was not a big deal to me. The Fusion Titanium has been one of my favorites and the 2019 is even better with the additional active safety features.
qs933 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 8:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Miami,Fl
Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by mapelle621 View Post
Sounds good - more for me. Fords in top trims are my go to with few exceptions, even if I have to dismiss a prompt.
not more for you for too long...Ford will be discontinuing their production of most of their sedans.
m907 likes this.
Joonydell is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 968
National should keep the software updated, but it's a simple thing to close out. There's also nobody stopping you from performing the update yourself if you really want to make it go away.
m907 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 10:41 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,626
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
National should keep the software updated, but it's a simple thing to close out. There's also nobody stopping you from performing the update yourself if you really want to make it go away.
Nope, it's not simple to close out. I clicked no, keeps popping up next time. And if I click yes it wants me to connect to a wifi network. Sure, like one is readily available (not going to use mobile hotspot for it).

Toyota Camry has it too, but it actually downloads off its own data connection.
s0ssos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 9:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DTW
Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Posts: 793
And here I thought this would be about ads popping up on the nav screen during your drive.

Just wait, Iím sure thatís coming...
strickerj is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 9:37 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,626
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
And here I thought this would be about ads popping up on the nav screen during your drive.

Just wait, Iím sure thatís coming...
Yes, and that's when you get asked at checkout, "gps, fuel, popup blocker?"
strickerj likes this.
s0ssos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 19, 5:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Falls Gulch VA
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
It is annoying to have popups on the rental car.

It asks for a data connection, if you click yes it goes to the wifi selection. It does not go away. I do not care to have the car use wifi to update itself.

I guess I have to rule out Fords in the future.
When I read the subject header of this discussion, I thought it was going to be about things like "Can you use some coffee? There's a McDonald's at Exit 47B." It sounds ilke you're getting operating system pop-ups. That suggests that the rental car company isn't taking care of maintenance. I wouldn't mind (on principle, anyway) a map update for the GPS, but I wouldn't want the car to update the emission control or braking software while I'm driving.

As a travel tightwad, unless the WiFi was free (not bloody likely!), if the car wants to turn it on to update itself, does it go on my bill?
scfw0x0f and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Mike Rivers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 19, 9:07 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,626
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
When I read the subject header of this discussion, I thought it was going to be about things like "Can you use some coffee? There's a McDonald's at Exit 47B." It sounds ilke you're getting operating system pop-ups. That suggests that the rental car company isn't taking care of maintenance. I wouldn't mind (on principle, anyway) a map update for the GPS, but I wouldn't want the car to update the emission control or braking software while I'm driving.

As a travel tightwad, unless the WiFi was free (not bloody likely!), if the car wants to turn it on to update itself, does it go on my bill?
Then let's hope the operating system isn't made by Microsoft
strickerj likes this.
s0ssos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 19, 10:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 6
Is this a real post? The admins usually catch this kind of stuff before it pops in and annoys people.
PDXREX62 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread