FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   what now, popups in rental cars? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/1968610-what-now-popups-rental-cars.html)

s0ssos May 7, 2019 8:37 am

what now, popups in rental cars?

I got the Fusion Titanium, thinking it would have all the features. Apparently it doesn't have a pop-up blocker though.

m907 May 7, 2019 9:31 am

What are you referring to?

s0ssos May 7, 2019 4:49 pm

On the touchscreen you get popups, like Ford wanting to connect to wifi to update software, and then another one telling you you are being watched (something about data collection). They don't go away. They remain. And come on every time you drive.

Rental_Guy May 7, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31077494)
On the touchscreen you get popups, like Ford wanting to connect to wifi to update software, and then another one telling you you are being watched (something about data collection). They don't go away. They remain. And come on every time you drive.

If you answer "Yes/ allow" it should give the option to never ask again. Either way, its just one or two buttons to press on start up.

s0ssos May 9, 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Rental_Guy (Post 31077898)
If you answer "Yes/ allow" it should give the option to never ask again. Either way, its just one or two buttons to press on start up.

It is annoying to have popups on the rental car.

It asks for a data connection, if you click yes it goes to the wifi selection. It does not go away. I do not care to have the car use wifi to update itself.

I guess I have to rule out Fords in the future.

mapelle621 May 9, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31083246)

Sounds good - more for me. Fords in top trims are my go to with few exceptions, even if I have to dismiss a prompt.

qs933 May 9, 2019 7:32 pm

It asks for a data connection, if you click yes it goes to the wifi selection. It does not go away. I do not care to have the car use wifi to update itself.

I just had a 2019 Fusion Hybrid Titanium. I remember getting the pop-up about a data connection, but I clicked “no” and it would go away.

It was not a big deal to me. The Fusion Titanium has been one of my favorites and the 2019 is even better with the additional active safety features.

Joonydell May 9, 2019 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mapelle621 (Post 31084190)
Sounds good - more for me. Fords in top trims are my go to with few exceptions, even if I have to dismiss a prompt.

not more for you for too long...Ford will be discontinuing their production of most of their sedans.

m907 May 11, 2019 12:18 am

National should keep the software updated, but it's a simple thing to close out. There's also nobody stopping you from performing the update yourself if you really want to make it go away.

s0ssos May 11, 2019 10:41 am

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 31089198)
National should keep the software updated, but it's a simple thing to close out. There's also nobody stopping you from performing the update yourself if you really want to make it go away.

Nope, it's not simple to close out. I clicked no, keeps popping up next time. And if I click yes it wants me to connect to a wifi network. Sure, like one is readily available (not going to use mobile hotspot for it).

Toyota Camry has it too, but it actually downloads off its own data connection.

strickerj May 13, 2019 9:59 am

And here I thought this would be about ads popping up on the nav screen during your drive.

Just wait, I’m sure that’s coming...

s0ssos May 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 31096579)
And here I thought this would be about ads popping up on the nav screen during your drive.

Just wait, I’m sure that’s coming...

Yes, and that's when you get asked at checkout, "gps, fuel, popup blocker?"

Mike Rivers May 14, 2019 5:53 am

When I read the subject header of this discussion, I thought it was going to be about things like "Can you use some coffee? There's a McDonald's at Exit 47B." It sounds ilke you're getting operating system pop-ups. That suggests that the rental car company isn't taking care of maintenance. I wouldn't mind (on principle, anyway) a map update for the GPS, but I wouldn't want the car to update the emission control or braking software while I'm driving.

As a travel tightwad, unless the WiFi was free (not bloody likely!), if the car wants to turn it on to update itself, does it go on my bill?

s0ssos May 14, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers (Post 31099549)
When I read the subject header of this discussion, I thought it was going to be about things like "Can you use some coffee? There's a McDonald's at Exit 47B." It sounds ilke you're getting operating system pop-ups. That suggests that the rental car company isn't taking care of maintenance. I wouldn't mind (on principle, anyway) a map update for the GPS, but I wouldn't want the car to update the emission control or braking software while I'm driving.

As a travel tightwad, unless the WiFi was free (not bloody likely!), if the car wants to turn it on to update itself, does it go on my bill?

Then let's hope the operating system isn't made by Microsoft

PDXREX62 May 14, 2019 10:59 am

Is this a real post? The admins usually catch this kind of stuff before it pops in and annoys people.