FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Have to stop by counter but no one can tell me why (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/1966916-have-stop-counter-but-no-one-can-tell-me-why.html)

KE81 Apr 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Have to stop by counter but no one can tell me why

After modifying the time I was picking up/returning on an upcoming reservation, I noticed that I was being directed to the counter instead of to the aisle. I initially thought it had to do with my late arrival and/or the station I was renting from (hence my post on this issue in the BWI thread), but I spoke with the lead customer service rep at BWI who said it had to do with something coming from corporate, and that everything in my reservation and in my profile looked fine. I called the general customer service line a couple of times, and was eventually transferred to a very unhelpful supervisor who sounded like she just woke up, refused to look at anything in my account, and told me that there was absolutely nothing she could do because there's nothing in her system that shows her why I have to stop at the counter. She suggested that typically this occurs when there's some issue with payment, your driver's license, etc. But my payment method hasn't changed, and although I changed driver's licenses earlier this year, I've rented twice since then without being prompted to stop at the counter.

Does anyone know what might be going on? I'm also baffled that neither the corporate customer service supervisor nor the station lead customer service rep can tell me what's wrong.

kxc262 Apr 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Did your credit card expire? Usually counter visits are due to payment methods or DL issues.

whistler814 Apr 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I noticed this too for a reservation at BWI. If I booked to pick up at 630am it said counter but 7am gave me ES. It was really strange but I just set the res for later and will just show up early.

KE81 Apr 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 31037292)
I noticed this too for a reservation at BWI. If I booked to pick up at 630am it said counter but 7am gave me ES. It was really strange but I just set the res for later and will just show up early.

I think this is right -- I played around with the times, and if I set pickup at 11pm, it sends me to the aisle, but from 11:30 onward (presumably until 7 am) it directs me to the counter. Very odd. Are there any other stations that are like this?

Andykh Apr 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Had a similar experience at SJC 2 weeks ago - had modified the reservation online (not even time, just added XM radio) and was sent to the counter as a result. Lady at the counter said that there was absolutely no reason for me to come there and sent me directly to the cars.
Ironically, last time when my card expired and I was supposed to come to the counter to update it, I forgot to do that and went directly to Emerald Aisle. Still was processed at the exit with no problems.

tstad Apr 26, 2019 6:57 am

My credit card on file has been expired for over a year and I've never been told to go to the counter. I obviously present a different card at the gate booth

javabytes Apr 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Even when my reservation said I need to go to the counter, I just took a car from the ES and went to the exit. No issues.

Radiocarpalis Apr 29, 2019 4:31 am

Had this happen to me too. Seems something in the account triggers the counter stop, but no-one really knows what. My stop by the counter at Miami airport took a few seconds. They looked at my reservation and the exec status and where wondering why the system said I needed to stop there. So without doing anything besides looking on my printed reservation I went to the aisle, grabbed a car and left without any problems. So if you know all your account data is ok, just go to the car and there shouldn't be a problem.

shadow520 Apr 29, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 31047264)
Even when my reservation said I need to go to the counter, I just took a car from the ES and went to the exit. No issues.

Ditto. I've done this on more than one occasion.

KE81 Apr 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks all! I’ll plan to do that.

KE81 Jun 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Just to close the loop on this: I went straight to the aisle and experienced no issues when checking out at the booth (although the CSR did seem to have to do more on the computer than I've seen in the past). In fact, there was a sign at the counter that directed all EC members to the garage.

Oddly, and I've seen some posts about this in the past, the app advised me that Emerald Checkout was unavailable until 7am (I arrived around 1am). So I do think that this issue (being directed to the counter) was, in my case, related to my late pickup time.