One-way unavailable out of ORD

Old Apr 3, 19, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Silver; National Exec; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
One-way unavailable out of ORD

Am trying to book a last-minute one-day, one-way ORD-South Bend (SBN) for this Friday, want to use a 1-2-Free day. But website says no cars available (even without entering free day info).

I could understand this if it were the reverse since SBN is a small station and has limited vehicles they wouldn't like to lose, but ORD??
Cars ARE available for ORD pickup/return.

And yes, I know that SBN is closed on Sat, so I'm entering info for pickup Fri morning and return Fri evening.

Any recourse or workaround? This is for my wife, for whom both arriving into ORD and renting a car on her own will be 1st-time experiences, so want to keep things as easy as possible.
Old Apr 3, 19, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
No issues when I do a test booking. ORD-SBN. Pick up Friday noon, Return Sat. noon. Emerald Club Contract.
Old Apr 3, 19, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Silver; National Exec; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
No issues when I do a test booking. ORD-SBN. Pick up Friday noon, Return Sat. noon. Emerald Club Contract.
Nope, no dice. Nationalcar.com (new site) says:
"Error We’re sorry, but this location has no vehicles available during the selected dates and/or times. Please modify your dates and/or times or choose a different location."

Legacy site says:
" We are sold out of your Emerald Aisle ® eligible vehicle. Please make another vehicle selection."

Mobile app says something similar.

And it appears they are open on Saturday, for some reason a line was being truncated on my browser.
Old Apr 3, 19, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
Nope, no dice. Nationalcar.com (new site) says:
"Error We’re sorry, but this location has no vehicles available during the selected dates and/or times. Please modify your dates and/or times or choose a different location."

Legacy site says:
" We are sold out of your Emerald Aisle ® eligible vehicle. Please make another vehicle selection."

Mobile app says something similar.

And it appears they are open on Saturday, for some reason a line was being truncated on my browser.
I see what you mean. I did a test booking noon Friday returning noon Saturday while logged out and got the No Availability message. When I logged in, cars were available up to full size for the one-way. It might have to do with the fact that I'm Executive Elite, as a benefit of that level is guaranteed availability 24 hours out. Try again when logged in.

***Edit*** I see on your profile that you're EE. If you still have trouble booking it, call in and tell them you're EE and want to use your guaranteed availability benefit. They can force availability, as they've done so before for me.
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 View Post
I see what you mean. I did a test booking noon Friday returning noon Saturday while logged out and got the No Availability message. When I logged in, cars were available up to full size for the one-way. It might have to do with the fact that I'm Executive Elite, as a benefit of that level is guaranteed availability 24 hours out. Try again when logged in.

***Edit*** I see on your profile that you're EE. If you still have trouble booking it, call in and tell them you're EE and want to use your guaranteed availability benefit. They can force availability, as they've done so before for me.
Ah, that must be it. I'm no longer EE, only Exec (need to change the profile info!). FT wisdom again saves me from wasting time trying to figure this out!

Upon further research, interestingly, Hertz, Avis, and Budget all have 1-way availability for no-status bookings, but National/Enterprise/Alamo do not.

No matter, was able to book a full-size 1-way with Budget for a quite reasonable $65 through Costco Travel, so should be good to go.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
No matter, was able to book a full-size 1-way with Budget for a quite reasonable $65 through Costco Travel, so should be good to go.
Check the fine print closely. Budget one-ways don't always include free mileage. But you won't see the per mile charge until you book. And if you booked thru a 3rd party like Costco, you might not see it at all.
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:59 am

Just book it as a round trip and return it to South Bend anyway. If you're using free days it'll be free anyway
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duxfan View Post
Check the fine print closely. Budget one-ways don't always include free mileage. But you won't see the per mile charge until you book. And if you booked thru a 3rd party like Costco, you might not see it at all.
Very good point, I'm used to assuming unlimited mileage with National. I went back to check, and the confirmation specifically does say "Unlimited Mileage".

But it all ended up being moot, late yesterday award space opened up to SBN, so now she's flying directly there, no need for the rental car at all! ^
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
Just book it as a round trip and return it to South Bend anyway. If you're using free days it'll be free anyway
That will work 90% of the time as long as either the renting or receiving location don’t decide to add an unauthorized drop charge. I always call customer service first when I decide to change drop locations.
Old Apr 5, 19, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123 View Post

That will work 90% of the time as long as either the renting or receiving location don’t decide to add an unauthorized drop charge. I always call customer service first when I decide to change drop locations.
it works between two airports. The only time I've heard about drop charges being added was a one way to Manhattan. That's because Enterprise rents space in parking garages, and if they get an extra car that they didn't plan on getting, they'll have to pay to park that car
Old Apr 6, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

it works between two airports. The only time I've heard about drop charges being added was a one way to Manhattan. That's because Enterprise rents space in parking garages, and if they get an extra car that they didn't plan on getting, they'll have to pay to park that car
Are you saying this will work between two airports because the OP is using a 1-2 Free Day? Or are you saying it would work to book a RT but drop at another airport even on a paid rate?
Old Apr 6, 19, 9:17 am

Which is why I said 90% of the time. Technically you’re breaking the rental agreement by dropping in another location without pre-coordinating a change. Some cars, like premier selection type vehicles, managers don’t want one-way’ed, and if you do it anyway, they reserve the right to tack on an extra fee for doing so.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:46 pm

Pretty much same for all Enterprise/National/Alamo locations in Manhattan, NYC.

Have been asking managers for over a year now when LGA or other local airports will start allowing one way rentals into Manhattan; answer is pretty much now "never" or "rarely". *LOL*

Margins are tight and garage space (what there is left of it in Manhattan below 125th street) is at a premium. So places are raising rates when car rental places store more than their contracted allotment of rides overnight.

This also goes a long way in explaining why inventory is so tight for Manhattan. Thanksgiving 2019 has been sold out since about late January or February and Christmas not much longer afterwards. In fact the past few holiday seasons inventory has been really, really tight for National to point am back to waiting several hours for things to arrive from airports or whatever.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: