Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Executive upgrade without renting in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I have a trip coming up that would be a lot better if I got to pull from the executive aisle. I'm a "car guy" and getting the right car for the trip REALLY means a lot to me.
The amount of travel I do has plummeted in the last 3 years, so there's no way I'll qualify for exec in the month and a half I have before this trip. Does anyone know any tips or tricks to get upgraded outside of renting?

I've seen the Amex Platinum card, but it looks like that offer may have expired at the end of January?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:20 pm

Have you got any Status with airlines or hotel chains?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
YMMV - friend had no status and asked if he could choose a car from Exec aisle. Greeter said no problem.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT
https://legacy.nationalcar.com/en_US...amex-elan.html
vinny536 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by vinny536
I have a trip coming up that would be a lot better if I got to pull from the executive aisle. I'm a "car guy" and getting the right car for the trip REALLY means a lot to me.
The amount of travel I do has plummeted in the last 3 years, so there's no way I'll qualify for exec in the month and a half I have before this trip. Does anyone know any tips or tricks to get upgraded outside of renting?
I think this one is a big YMMV depending on the location, time of day, whether they are strapped for cars, etc.

When I didn’t have Executive status, if I reserved at least a Premium class car, the attendants at locations I frequented were generally very helpful accommodating me.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by qs933

I think this one is a big YMMV depending on the location, time of day, whether they are strapped for cars, etc.

When I didn’t have Executive status, if I reserved at least a Premium class car, the attendants at locations I frequented were generally very helpful accommodating me.
Occasionally if they are low on cars or staff they will tell everyone to pick anything. DCA does this a lot, I think because it's a small lot and they want to keep cars moving.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linglingfool

Perfect. Thank you.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wadda
Have you got any Status with airlines or hotel chains?
Not anymore. For a while, I was traveling at least once a month for work. I've found a ton of efficiencies and now travel once a year. Everything has reverted to newb status.

Originally Posted by kxc262
YMMV - friend had no status and asked if he could choose a car from Exec aisle. Greeter said no problem.
I've had some luck with this. Typically in non-aisle cities I'll walk the lot and pick out a few. When I get to the window I'll enthusiastically say something like "Hello (name on name tag), That (make, model) would really make this trip awesome. Is there any chance I can get it at my company's rate?" They tap away at their computer and usually tell me "sure thing!". Occasionally they can't get that particular car, I tell them thanks for trying and they'll list off 3 or 4 similar cars they can get me into. It's rare that I've ended up with a basic car. I could only think of twice, and both times were in cities with major events and nearly empty rental lots.

I'm a car guy, A fun or interesting rental car really does make a business trip better. The time I got stuck with a dodge avenger in JAX was miserable. It was all they had. The last trip I had a brand new 4 door wrangler. I've had something like 14 jeeps over the years and was thrilled to get to drive the new one. It made the trip fun.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by vinny536
The last trip I had a brand new 4 door wrangler. I've had something like 14 jeeps over the years and was thrilled to get to drive the new one. It made the trip fun.
I picked up a 2019 Wrangler Sport Unlimited at ATL today, with 7 miles on the odometer. It still has some of the white crayon marks on the window. I would never own one, but they are fun to bounce around in for a couple of days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.