Wiki Posts
Search

Received car with 1/4 gas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH, SPG
Received car with 1/4 gas

I received a car with 1/4 gas at Enterprise earlier this week, which is fine. Will I get a credit if I fill it all the way up? Any corporate policy regarding that or is it at the discretion of individual staff?

I remember being requested to do so once at National or Hertz and they gave me credit for difference plus a few extra bucks. I think that is a win-win since returning it with 1/4 is simply painful to either myself or next renter.

Btw it was direct bill by insurance so I guess that further complicates it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:16 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You would get a credit but it may not be exactly what it cost you to fill up. They will calculate it using whatever internal methodology they have. And yes, the direct-bill may complicate it, but I'm assuming you had to give them your credit card when you checked out the rental even if the charges were not being billed to you. Hopefully they can put the credit through on that card, but it's worth a quick call to ask them how it would be handled before you blow $30 or whatever.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:01 pm

It's happened to me before. They told me to bring it back completely empty
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH, SPG
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You would get a credit but it may not be exactly what it cost you to fill up. They will calculate it using whatever internal methodology they have. And yes, the direct-bill may complicate it, but I'm assuming you had to give them your credit card when you checked out the rental even if the charges were not being billed to you. Hopefully they can put the credit through on that card, but it's worth a quick call to ask them how it would be handled before you blow $30 or whatever.
Originally Posted by nd2010
It's happened to me before. They told me to bring it back completely empty
Thanks for the suggestion. They told me later this afternoon that I can prepay 1/4 tank of gas and bring it back empty.... Very good customer care indeed...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wadewei
Thanks for the suggestion. They told me later this afternoon that I can prepay 1/4 tank of gas and bring it back empty.... Very good customer care indeed...
What they should have done is told you to just bring bring it back empty and not force you to prepay anything - at least at National, 9/10 times this happens where the car has less than a half tank, I am told not to worry about it and bring it back empty or with "whatever" and they mark it off as empty on the contract.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
It has not been my experience that you get a credit for bringing back a higher fuel level with National than you took the car out with, unless you ask them to manually do a credit at the return time. But they will often tell you to bring it back at "half" or even bring it back at "empty" if it is not full when they give it to you. They seem very generous in this regard.

Contrast this to Avis/Budget where if you get a vehicle with a lower fuel level than full, then return it full, their system does seem to automatically compute a credit somehow.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:40 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It is REALLY hard to bring a car back "empty"!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
You would get a credit but it may not be exactly what it cost you to fill up.
Any idea how long it usually takes? Nothing has happened yet with my March 17 return. The receipt shows out less than full and returned full.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:15 am

You would get a credit but it may not be exactly what it cost you to fill up.
I was just now told otherwise. " I'm sorry for the misinformation,but we don't issue fuel credits unless there was a fuel charge.I checked the notes and I don't see any notation on contract XXXXXXX abut any credit being issued."

That's not what I was told at the booth, and that's not what I was told at the return.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
In my experience, Enterprise does not give credit for overfueling.
The only way you could get this credit is for a manual adjustment from the counter.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
My past experience was just the manager gave me a signed business card for free full tank next time.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:11 pm

So after an email exchange that went on 5 or 6 times longer than it had to (and I stayed on only to see how it would end, as this cost more in my time than I was likely to see) they did refund 1/8 of a tank at more or less their fuel charge rate (so I am a couple of dollars ahead). This was a "one time exception".

There is definitely a lack of understanding of this policy among front-line workers. The exit clerk said if I brought it back full there would be a credit, and when I returned the car, the person checking me in said the credit would be applied automatically. Neither were correct. The policy is no credit for a higher level at return.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:47 pm

I was back at the airport today, and let them know what EHI told me. Everybody had a different idea on what the policy actually is, something I will keep in mind in the future.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
It is REALLY hard to bring a car back "empty"!
it could be. One time I actually ran out of gas trying to bring a car back empty. I was only a mile away from the return location.
I drank my water bottle, then walked to a gas station and filled the bottle with gas. Put that gas in the car and it started and I drove the last mile. I'm sure if they left the engine on at the return location, it would have run out of gas there.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
National policy used to be to automatically credit the difference in gas if you brought it back with more than you left with. They discontinued that many years ago -- I think probably when they were bought by Enterprise, but I can't find a citation to be sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.