Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Company Ditching National - Best Alternative?

Old Mar 13, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold

My companies supply chain org just renegotiated our rental car contracts and now National is no longer an option. I have a monthly fleet replacement rental for over a year now that grants me Exec Elite status at National. My options are Avis, Hertz or Enterprise. I can only book a standard or intermediate car, which is what made National so attractive with the Emerald Aisle. I can status match to any program.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 13, 19, 5:59 pm

Suggestions? Cry?

Someone else asked this question several years ago, in another thread. Count yourself lucky. This other person's company was switching from exclusively National to exclusively Avis. Most companies only have enough travel spend to consolidate in one vendor. Splitting the business would mean not enough rebates and discounts with either.
Old Mar 13, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Probably Hertz if you can get PC status. The PC section at most airports is comparable to the National Exec selection.

Definitely not Enterprise since they're trained to only give you paid upgrades. And I can't stand having to talk to someone to get a car.
m907 and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold
My first reaction involved many curse words, and weve now progressed into Mourning. Im hoping my Hertz Status Match comes through fast enough since my next monthly renew is set for Saturday. Unfortunately my airport location does not have Ultimate Choice
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:06 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Yes, Hertz PC is the way to go. Definitely not as good as National Emerald Executive, but better than the alternatives. You might want to pop into the airport Hertz and explain the situation to the local manager. Give the impression that you haven't yet made up your mind and that you were hoping they might get Ultimate Choice in the near future to match the type of service you'd typically get at National. That opens the door for him/her to offer you their card and promise that they will take care of you, without you having to explicitly come right out and ask for it.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:29 am

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Hertz is probably as close to National as you can get.

Company dropped National and went to Hertz/Avis. Then we dropped Hertz and only use Avis now.

National is still my go to for personal travel.
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:02 am

Hertz Ultimate Choice is a poor man's Emerald Aisle. UC is inconsistent and often bland. That said, some locations are really stellar and could hold their own with National. I'd put PIT and TPA in this group. Others are horrid, like DCA. But it's going to be the best one to switch to if you've been spoiled by National.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Hertz Ultimate Choice is a poor man's Emerald Aisle
Agreed. But if I could offer a silver lining, in my experience, Hertz airport counters/HLE's have been somewhat more generous with upgrades than National counters. And Hertz Ultimate Choice is still better than anything Avis offers.
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by wm47 View Post
Agreed. But if I could offer a silver lining, in my experience, Hertz airport counters/HLE's have been somewhat more generous with upgrades than National counters. And Hertz Ultimate Choice is still better than anything Avis offers.
Don't get me wrong, I'll take Hertz over Avis any day. Hertz is a solid second place and I agree that they usually are more generous at the counter. Just saying they don't usually hold a candle to National when it comes to choosing your own car, except at a handful of locations where they're comparable.
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:30 pm

Programs: MR,UR,SPG,AA
Isn't Hertz mid-sized generally better priced than National?
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by cloudskipper View Post
Isn't Hertz mid-sized generally better priced than National?
Hertz is cheaper most, but not all, of the time in my experience but it depends on what kind of coupons and corporate rates you have.
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:49 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Hertz Ultimate Choice is a poor man's Emerald Aisle. UC is inconsistent and often bland. That said, some locations are really stellar and could hold their own with National. I'd put PIT and TPA in this group. Others are horrid, like DCA. But it's going to be the best one to switch to if you've been spoiled by National.
I am glad you mentioned TPA lol Hertz PC there usually knocks the socks of National, even the 5* usually looks better.
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd go with Hertz. I typically rent from them and for the most part am happy. If you get Presidents Circle (some credit cards and airline status give it) their Presidents Circle aisle at major airports is similar to the Emerald Aisle though Hertz has a lot of higher mileage vehicles. At smaller airports they've taken pretty good care of me too.

Avoid Enterprise, there's very little good to say about them. I don't have much Avis experience but what I have had I feel is substandard to Hertz.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: