Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Using a free rental when the rate is based on mileage usage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold

If I use a coupon code for a one way rental that charges me per mile, will it still be completely free (except for taxes)? Or is the base rental free and I’ll have to cover the cost per miles?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by htown
If I use a coupon code for a one way rental that charges me per mile, will it still be completely free (except for taxes)? Or is the base rental free and I’ll have to cover the cost per miles?

The coupon only takes the charge off the base daily rate. If you pick a rate that charges mileage, you'll pay for it. Assuming you have enough coupons to cover your entire rental, delete your contract and reserve at the Emerald club rate, even if it's something ridiculous like $250 a day. All domestic US rentals should show unlimited mileage for any car class on a one way, but depending on the class reserved, I've seen as high as $500 + tax per day for Premium SUV.
Auto Enthusiast and htown like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
The coupon only takes the charge off the base daily rate. If you pick a rate that charges mileage, you'll pay for it. Assuming you have enough coupons to cover your entire rental, delete your contract and reserve at the Emerald club rate, even if it's something ridiculous like $250 a day. All domestic US rentals should show unlimited mileage for any car class on a one way, but depending on the class reserved, I've seen as high as $500 + tax per day for Premium SUV.
Thanks, I did exactly that.
Joonydell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.