Safest car?

Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Safest car?

I will be adding my SO as an authorized driver for our trip next week. I'm primarily looking for a full size sedan which has at least blind spot monitoring and active collision breaking. (Of course I trust her, but better to be safe than sorry ) What makes and models should I keep my eyes peeled for when scavengering through the isle?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Nissan Platinums come pretty loaded with safety tech. Some lower trims will have safety tech too.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
OT, but Christ I hate those "features"; all they do is get in my way and unfortunately they turn back on after a restart
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:52 am

If you want blind spot monitoring just look for an icon on the mirrors. Altimas have a light on the A-pillar. Then once you've narrowed those down you can research the specific car. There's no way of knowing which model is going to have it because those things are usually optional unless you're talking about a Volvo or Mercedes.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Standard on every Camry is Toyota Safety Sense, which is a suite of driver assistance features including adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure alert with steering assistance, and automatic high beams. This is the 2019.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Standard on every Camry is Toyota Safety Sense, which is a suite of driver assistance features including adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure alert with steering assistance, and automatic high beams. This is the 2019.
I had a 2019 Camry last week that had all of these features.

Additionally, it had no keyless start, no leather seats, no XM radio (antenna or software), no dimming rear view mirror , no sound insulation, and no navigation (despite having a MAP button on the dash).

Do not recommend.
m907, ginmqi and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Thank you Kevin MD! The camry is my top pick at this point, as I am guaranteed to have those features. I doubt I'll have time to analyze each car for the futures.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Joonydell
Thank you Kevin MD! The camry is my top pick at this point, as I am guaranteed to have those features. I doubt I'll have time to analyze each car for the futures.
I think a high trim 2019 Fusion will also have those features. I had a 2019 Fusion Hybrid and it had all the bells and whistles.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I rented a Camry and did not care for its lane departure warning, It got very confused about where the lane was when going through construction and would shake the wheel at some very inopportune times.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by kxc262
Nissan Platinums come pretty loaded with safety tech. Some lower trims will have safety tech too.
Nissan Platinums?

How many points for redemption?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
The 2018 and 2019 Camry will have Toyota Safety Sense P standard, but the blind-spot monitor is an option on the LE and SE trims, so unlikely that youll find one in the rental fleet with that package ticked.

The 2019 Fusion has Fords Co-Pilot 360 standard on all trims, which includes Blind Spot monitor, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, and auto high beams. This is where the model year will make a huge difference, as these safety items were optional on the 2018 model and none of the 2018 Fusions Ive driven have had that package.

The 2019 Altima has automatic emergency braking standard on all trims. If you find an SR or above, youll also get the blind spot monitor, which is standard. I had a 2017 Altima SV from Enterprise last year and it had the blind spot monitor.

Im in a 2017 Malibu right now with 36K miles from Enterprise and it doesnt have any of these features standard and from a quick scan of the Chevy website, it looks like it remains that way for 2019.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Nissan Platinums?

How many points for redemption?
Any Nissan car in the Plat trim.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by qs933
The 2019 Altima has automatic emergency braking standard on all trims. If you find an SR or above, youll also get the blind spot monitor, which is standard. I had a 2017 Altima SV from Enterprise last year and it had the blind spot monitor.
2019 Altima SL from National has adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist as well.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Gold
I like that lane assistance feature on the Chevy/GMC SUVs. I think it's one of the better features in modern cars...until I had a Jaguar F-Pace recently. That thing must have caused more accidents than avoided them given the way Jaguar programmed that!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

update: i ended up going with a 2019 Nissan Maxima plat. Very aesthetically pleasing car and very well equipped with safety tech.

thank you everyone for all your input!
PKCorey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.