FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Safest car? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/1956488-safest-car.html)

Joonydell Feb 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Safest car?

I will be adding my SO as an authorized driver for our trip next week. I'm primarily looking for a full size sedan which has at least blind spot monitoring and active collision breaking. (Of course I trust her, but better to be safe than sorry ;) ) What makes and models should I keep my eyes peeled for when scavengering through the isle?

kxc262 Feb 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Nissan Platinums come pretty loaded with safety tech. Some lower trims will have safety tech too.

kennycrudup Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

OT, but Christ I hate those "features"; all they do is get in my way and unfortunately they turn back on after a restart :(

m907 Feb 16, 2019 5:52 am

If you want blind spot monitoring just look for an icon on the mirrors. Altimas have a light on the A-pillar. Then once you've narrowed those down you can research the specific car. There's no way of knowing which model is going to have it because those things are usually optional unless you're talking about a Volvo or Mercedes.

KevinMD Feb 16, 2019 5:59 am

Standard on every Camry is Toyota Safety Sense, which is a suite of driver assistance features including adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure alert with steering assistance, and automatic high beams. This is the 2019.

aww3583 Feb 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by KevinMD (Post 30785362)
Standard on every Camry is Toyota Safety Sense, which is a suite of driver assistance features including adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure alert with steering assistance, and automatic high beams. This is the 2019.

I had a 2019 Camry last week that had all of these features.

Additionally, it had no keyless start, no leather seats, no XM radio (antenna or software), no dimming rear view mirror , no sound insulation, and no navigation (despite having a “MAP” button on the dash).

Do not recommend.

Joonydell Feb 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by KevinMD (Post 30785362)

Thank you Kevin MD! The camry is my top pick at this point, as I am guaranteed to have those features. I doubt I'll have time to analyze each car for the futures.

klanfa Feb 17, 2019 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Joonydell (Post 30787238)
Thank you Kevin MD! The camry is my top pick at this point, as I am guaranteed to have those features. I doubt I'll have time to analyze each car for the futures.

I think a high trim 2019 Fusion will also have those features. I had a 2019 Fusion Hybrid and it had all the bells and whistles.

Miles Ahead Feb 18, 2019 4:38 pm

I rented a Camry and did not care for its lane departure warning, It got very confused about where the lane was when going through construction and would shake the wheel at some very inopportune times.

Repooc17 Feb 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262 (Post 30783307)
Nissan Platinums come pretty loaded with safety tech. Some lower trims will have safety tech too.

Nissan Platinums? :D

How many points for redemption?

qs933 Feb 18, 2019 7:36 pm

The 2018 and 2019 Camry will have Toyota Safety Sense P standard, but the blind-spot monitor is an option on the LE and SE trims, so unlikely that you’ll find one in the rental fleet with that package ticked.

The 2019 Fusion has Ford’s Co-Pilot 360 standard on all trims, which includes Blind Spot monitor, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, and auto high beams. This is where the model year will make a huge difference, as these safety items were optional on the 2018 model — and none of the 2018 Fusions I’ve driven have had that package.

The 2019 Altima has automatic emergency braking standard on all trims. If you find an SR or above, you’ll also get the blind spot monitor, which is standard. I had a 2017 Altima SV from Enterprise last year and it had the blind spot monitor.

I’m in a 2017 Malibu right now with 36K miles from Enterprise and it doesn’t have any of these features standard — and from a quick scan of the Chevy website, it looks like it remains that way for 2019.

kxc262 Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30794532)
Nissan Platinums? :D

How many points for redemption?

Any Nissan car in the Plat trim.

m907 Feb 19, 2019 4:07 am

Originally Posted by qs933 (Post 30794988)
The 2019 Altima has automatic emergency braking standard on all trims. If you find an SR or above, you’ll also get the blind spot monitor, which is standard. I had a 2017 Altima SV from Enterprise last year and it had the blind spot monitor.

2019 Altima SL from National has adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist as well.

Wiley Feb 21, 2019 12:11 am

I like that lane assistance feature on the Chevy/GMC SUVs. I think it's one of the better features in modern cars...until I had a Jaguar F-Pace recently. That thing must have caused more accidents than avoided them given the way Jaguar programmed that!

Joonydell Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm

update: i ended up going with a 2019 Nissan Maxima plat. Very aesthetically pleasing car and very well equipped with safety tech.

thank you everyone for all your input!