Higher rate with AMEX EE and INFINITE?

Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Higher rate with AMEX EE and INFINITE?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but I recently noticed that I was getting quoted higher prices with AMEX EE and INFINITE than I was if I didn't specify a contract ID? Does anyone know if this is normal? Oddly, AMEX EE was the most expensive of the bunch, then INFINITE, then no contract ID.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Quite normal, IME. EHI presumably targets these cardholders with status because they are big spenders -- sometimes unnecessarily so.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:26 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by juhlee
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but I recently noticed that I was getting quoted higher prices with AMEX EE and INFINITE than I was if I didn't specify a contract ID? Does anyone know if this is normal? Oddly, AMEX EE was the most expensive of the bunch, then INFINITE, then no contract ID.
Just curious, did you try both when logged into your Emerald account as well as a guest? It's certainly possible that the contract ids could yield a higher rate, but it's also possible it's login dependent, so before you conclude it's definitely the contract id, we'd suggest trying both ways.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Just curious, did you try both when logged into your Emerald account as well as a guest? It's certainly possible that the contract ids could yield a higher rate, but it's also possible it's login dependent, so before you conclude it's definitely the contract id, we'd suggest trying both ways.
I was logged in, so I was technically receiving the "Emerald Club Members" rate. The rate without logging in is the same as the AMEX EE rate.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:48 am

Be logged in but Just deselect the AMEX rate. Then it reverts to the much cheaper Emerald rate.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wadda
Be logged in but Just deselect the AMEX rate. Then it reverts to the much cheaper Emerald rate.
I did end up doing that — I was just surprised that either code gave me a worse deal than no code at all.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:40 am

I had quite the odd experience when reserving last night for an upcoming trip to ORD.

AmEx EE rate for most categories was in the $45-50/day range. When I deleted the Contract ID, the Emerald rate showed exactly the same. Tried a few other Contract IDs and got the same exact pricing every time. So, I got fed up and walked away thinking there was a glitch. About 2 hours later came back after clearing cache, etc. and got the same rates again under AmEx EE with one notable exception...at the top of the list of car classes was one highlighted in green stating "An Exclusive Offer For You" and it was a Luxury cat. for $19.99/day. Of course, I jumped on it but still don't understand why or where that came from.

Curiously, I checked the iPhone app to see if I could duplicate the results (to verify if this was an error or something else)...but instead of Luxury, Premium was offered at $19.99/day under the "An Exclusive Offer For You" heading.

I'm truly confused. Has anyone else ever seen this before? These "An Exclusive Offer For You" rates were for the AmEx EE Contract ID.

Last edited by HockeyCoachBen; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:42 am Reason: Edited for Spelling & Consistency
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
I'm truly confused. Has anyone else ever seen this before? These "An Exclusive Offer For You" rates were for the AmEx EE Contract ID.
I have seen such offers and not just with National. (And not just with car rentals.) The idea is that if you get to a certain point in the booking process, quit, and come back, the merchant might peg you as a bargain-hunter and (under the right circumstances) offer you a deal on a surplus item.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I have seen such offers and not just with National. (And not just with car rentals.) The idea is that if you get to a certain point in the booking process, quit, and come back, the merchant might peg you as a bargain-hunter and (under the right circumstances) offer you a deal on a surplus item.
Ah, yes. Good point. But, in any case, I’ll take the more than 50% discount!
Joonydell likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.