Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Does National only want corporate business customers?

Does National only want corporate business customers?

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Many times National's prepaid leisure rates are within a few dollars of Alamo like this or this. Sometimes, you'll find National even lower than Alamo like this. The nice thing about these deals is that you can still take advantage of all of your EC benefits as they can associate your member number at the exit booth (no need to stop at the counter).
As far as I know, National doesnt do prepaid leisure rates on their website. All the $15 rates Ive been booking at LAS lately for this month and January have been with the regular Emerald Club discount. Are you talking about prepaid rates on some of the European sites?

edit: Nevermind, just saw you were referring to rates bookable on Autoslash.

edit#2: The example you posted for Orlando in which National was cheaper than Alamo is only showing as $102.57 for a midsize when booking with the regular Emerald Club discount vs the $132 showing up as the prepaid midsize rate. In fact, in that example, you could also apply a free weekend day or the $20 off 3 day weekend coupon to the Emerald Club rate and get it into the 80s without pre-paying.

Last edited by NCLSEA123; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is the best example of why National charges what it charges.

A car is a car is a car. Yet, he is willing to pay more to National.

If you want a 4-door mid-sized car, then rent from the cheapest and most convenient place for you. If you are paying double for the same car, don't blame National.

Blame yourself.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many times National's prepaid leisure rates are within a few dollars of Alamo like this or this. Sometimes, you'll find National even lower than Alamo like this. The nice thing about these deals is that you can still take advantage of all of your EC benefits as they can associate your member number at the exit booth (no need to stop at the counter).
I'm confused. National offers prepaid rates? Where? When I clicked your links, there were no cheap National rates quoted.

Alamo, of course, does offered prepaid rates, but they're rarely worth using. Alamo just offers cheap rates to everyone who looks. Go to their webpage, search "deals" and viola.

In Florida this week, I'm paying less than $21/day for a full size midweek rental. I did cashback with that, and even gave them a $50 Daily Getaways coupon. It took me 1 minute at the counter and I got a brand new Ford Fusion Hybrid (I still picked my own car, turning down stuff like Camrys). This is why National's strategy seems silly to me.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:46 am

It's not so silly when it doesn't impact National's premium brand image to the average person, nor does it accrue liabilities of offering you free days, that of course you use for the most expensive long distance one-ways.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:42 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm confused. National offers prepaid rates? Where? When I clicked your links, there were no cheap National rates quoted.

Alamo, of course, does offered prepaid rates, but they're rarely worth using. Alamo just offers cheap rates to everyone who looks. Go to their webpage, search "deals" and viola.

In Florida this week, I'm paying less than $21/day for a full size midweek rental. I did cashback with that, and even gave them a $50 Daily Getaways coupon. It took me 1 minute at the counter and I got a brand new Ford Fusion Hybrid (I still picked my own car, turning down stuff like Camrys). This is why National's strategy seems silly to me.
Enterprise, National and Alamo all offer prepaid leisure rates through various channels like credit card reward portals like for Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi Thank You. They are also offered as opaque rates through Priceline. AutoSlash will show these deals when they are lower than pay-later deals.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
It's not so silly when it doesn't impact National's premium brand image to the average person, nor does it accrue liabilities of offering you free days, that of course you use for the most expensive long distance one-ways.
The "image" argument doesn't strike me as compelling (National ain't Gucci), and I very much doubt that the National folks are laser focused on the relatively few customers who have the skills and need to most effectively "game" their rewards program.

Enterprise, National and Alamo all offer prepaid leisure rates through various channels like credit card reward portals like for Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi Thank You. They are also offered as opaque rates through Priceline. AutoSlash will show these deals when they are lower than pay-later deals.
Well, you've effectively convinced me to try your service again. That said, being very candid, I don't use your service very often because you have yet to find me a rate lower than what I have found for myself.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:41 pm

The "image" argument doesn't strike me as compelling (National ain't Gucci), and I very much doubt that the National folks are laser focused on the relatively few customers who have the skills and need to most effectively "game" their rewards program.

Well, you've effectively convinced me to try your service again. That said, being very candid, I don't use your service very often because you have yet to find me a rate lower than what I have found for myself.
Well, look at it this way... Entering a reservation for tracking takes about 2 minutes. If we find you a lower rate then it's money in your pocket. If not, then you know you know for certain you didn't leave anything on the table.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, look at it this way... Entering a reservation for tracking takes about 2 minutes. If we find you a lower rate then it's money in your pocket. If not, then you know you know for certain you didn't leave anything on the table.
Yup, that's why I keep doing it. It's easy and maybe someday it will work. But, yet again, it didn't work. Which is a shame because I really want your service to be useful. As you know, no trick works all the time when it comes to cheaper car rentals, you have to try different things (and the higher the price, the more things you try!). I want your service to be another useful tool. You get good reviews from some the bloggers who I have apparently overestimated in their travel booking skills.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:36 pm

Yup, that's why I keep doing it. It's easy and maybe someday it will work. But, yet again, it didn't work. Which is a shame because I really want your service to be useful. As you know, no trick works all the time when it comes to cheaper car rentals, you have to try different things (and the higher the price, the more things you try!). I want your service to be another useful tool. You get good reviews from some the bloggers who I have apparently overestimated in their travel booking skills.
Just out of curiosity, do you typically use corporate discount codes for your rentals or only discount codes that are in the public domain (frequent flyer programs, AAA, Costco, etc? We don't search corporate discount codes for obvious reasons, so that might explain why our service is more useful to some than others.
Auto Enthusiast and c502cid like this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 13, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just out of curiosity, do you typically use corporate discount codes for your rentals or only discount codes that are typically in the public domain (frequent flyer programs, AAA, Costco, etc? We don't search corporate discount codes for obvious reasons, so that might explain why our service is more useful to some than others.
I do have corporate codes. Honestly, though, for my leisure rentals, I only find them useful at National (because National otherwise has uncompetitive rates). For the other car rental companies, I rarely use corporate rates.

I don't think I am your target customer though. I'd probably be classified as a Professional Car Renter. I am certain I have rented more cars than 99.9% of the population. I would think your service would be more useful to more typical car rental customers.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:04 pm

I do have corporate codes. Honestly, though, for my leisure rentals, I only find them useful at National (because National otherwise has uncompetitive rates). For the other car rental companies, I rarely use corporate rates.
It will probably be hard for us to compete against corporate discount codes in many cases. If you have a rental where you're not using a corporate code and you find that you're able to beat the best rate we've found, we'd love to hear about it. Feel free to PM us. We may be able to get creative and find you an alternative.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It will probably be hard for us to compete against corporate discount codes in many cases. If you have a rental where you're not using a corporate code and you find that you're able to beat the best rate we've found, we'd love to hear about it. Feel free to PM us. We may be able to get creative and find you an alternative.
Thank you. I will try that sometime!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.