Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Guidance for Executive in extending expiration of award rentals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I always have unused award rental days that are set to expire- in previous years (before 2016) they routinely extended them at the end of the year.

Late in 2017 I called about this and they told me to call back at the beginning of 2018 and they would extend. When I called back they said this was no longer policy and I explained what I had done in the past and what I had recently been told to do by NCR. Things were getting ugly when the agent said I could apply these expired/expiring rentals to previous rentals. Wow, this was a better deal for me than extending the award rentals. She dutifully went through my most recent rentals and applied a credit.

I have no idea if this is/was unusual or what the current policy is so I was seeking any input from readers who may have a handle on what might be expected
when I go to attempt an award extension or credit this month.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:09 pm

That doesn't sound like a deal if your previous rentals were cheap business rates that someone else is already paying for, vs expensive one-way personal rentals that free days are an excellent use for.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Seems like a policy has changed recently as last year when I called them, without hesitation and thanking my loyalty for all the rental I have done, CSR happily rolled over all unused free days for another year with another 12 months expiry. but last week CSR said the most she could roll over is 6 free days. I can gift the remaining 4 days to someone else to be used by Dec 31. Has anyone heard anything else?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Update - Maximum is 6 free days they will allow you to carry over to next year before expiry. Unlike frequent flyer miles which you can redeem before they expire and to use it to book a reward flight in a future time like next year, Emerald Club does NOT allow that. When they expire on a date, the actual car rental has to be rented and returned by that date. They won't allow you to book a future reservation after the free days expire. Anyway, I lost 4 days almost half of my earned benefit. Sigh.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:37 pm

Anyone have any more recent experience with this? I recently emailed and was told they could not extend, but that I could reach out after expiration and they would "consider" reinstating my free day.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

I called a couple of weeks ago to check how many of my free days were due to expire, luckily all my days were good until next year.

The agent volunteered that in future if I did have days expiring if I called they would extend them to the following year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.