Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding Drivers to a Rental

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Adding Drivers to a Rental

I've been a little confused about National's additional drivers policy.

I'm executive elite if it matters, and when I made the reservation it noted "9 Additional Drivers Included", but elsewhere on National's site I've found references to needing to be at the same address or business associates on contract. I've looked through some previous threads here, and (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems as though the drivers don't actually need to be at the same place.

I see that through the legacy site, I can add drivers when making the reservation, but it seems like I can't at the new site, nor after I've made the reservation. Will there be any hassle (other than obviously needing to stop at the counter) simply adding the additional drivers at the location when renting? If so, is there any way I can modify the reservation to include the additional drivers?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jupiterslament
Will there be any hassle (other than obviously needing to stop at the counter) simply adding the additional drivers at the location when renting? If so, is there any way I can modify the reservation to include the additional drivers?
no hassle. I've added 7 drivers with all diff address all over the US to my reservation with no issue

AFAIK, you cannot add drivers prior to your arrival. Agents have told me that the additional drivers must be present in person WITH valid DL to be added to your reservation. Once I tried adding a driver with just their DL and was denied. So there's no way to add them before your arrival IME.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:27 pm

You can add drivers on the legacy site while making a new reservation or modifying it. I haven't yet tried the new site to see if they have removed this. This is the easiest way to do this.

There are two ways to get a additional driver. The "9 drivers included" is the default National contract & gives you 9 additional drivers free. Addresses do not matter here when renting under this contract. However if you use a different contract, there will be a fee unless you fall into one of the exceptions below or if the contract you use includes free additional drivers as part of it.

https://www.nationalcar.com/en/suppo...iver-fees.html

-Spouse/Partner (same address)
-Family member with same address
-Co-Workers on a business trip
-Disabled

This is when your addresses has to match. Anything else will incur the additional driver fee. Note, some states like California, all additional drivers are free per state law.
ginmqi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.