Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Are there any real benefits in being "Executive Elite"

Are there any real benefits in being "Executive Elite"

Old Sep 17, 18, 9:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: UA 1K | UA 2M Miler | SPG Plat | Hilton Gold | National Executive Elite | Global Entry | TSE Pre
Posts: 20
Are there any real benefits in being "Executive Elite"

I rent from National every week and recently earned "Executive Elite" status, which requires 25 rentals a year or 85 days of rental. Yes, I earn free rentals days slightly faster, but beyond that, I see no material benefit from the Elite status. There isn't an "Elite" section and even when I have gone to the rental desk asking for a complimentary "Elite" upgrade, I've simply been told, "I can offer you "x" car for "y" extra a day", which is basically the same deal anyone off the street would be offered.

Has anyone reaped any material benefits from being National Executive Elite?
Lane412000 likes this.
moneesh is offline  
Old Sep 17, 18, 9:27 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,288
Free Days for almost any car class is the benefit I most enjoy. The ability to apply them after a rental makes it even better.

The "Elite" upgrade is called the Executive Aisle. Drive away in a Full-Size or higher vehicle for the midsize price. There is no other complimentary upgrade, so anything else that a station offers/gives you that is not on the Aisle, is simply gravy.

EE pricing for cars in PS is supposed to be lower than any other member group or a non-member off the street.
Yellowjj is online now  
Old Sep 18, 18, 8:39 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA USA
Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Posts: 3,122
I agree that EE is a very underwhelming step up from Exec (which is a huge step up from basic EC). I'm not sure what I'd want them to give to make the status more meaningful, but anything that costs them money is probably going to require a lot more than 25 rentals a year...
ginmqi likes this.
DJ_Iceman is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 4:36 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,917
Originally Posted by Yellowjj View Post
Free Days for almost any car class is the benefit I most enjoy. The ability to apply them after a rental makes it even better.

The "Elite" upgrade is called the Executive Aisle. Drive away in a Full-Size or higher vehicle for the midsize price. There is no other complimentary upgrade, so anything else that a station offers/gives you that is not on the Aisle, is simply gravy.

EE pricing for cars in PS is supposed to be lower than any other member group or a non-member off the street.
He's asking about the benefits of executive elite over executive. EA access is available to executive.
m907 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 1:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Avis Pref Plus
Posts: 58
What I value the most is being able to use the Emerald Reserve service for any car for my reward days -- I usually get Suburbans or Expeditions for family vacations, something you can't always count on being available via the Executive Aisle. I should point out that I don't believe I have ever been turned down -- when the upgraded vehicle I want is actually available -- when asking for an upgrade to an SUV at a counter service location or for an SUV when renting at an Executive Aisle location where there are SUV's available but not actually in the Aisle. But I don't know that this is necessarily a result of Executive Elite status; I might get the same treatment as an Exec.
wm47 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 4:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MCI
Posts: 693
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
I agree that EE is a very underwhelming step up from Exec (which is a huge step up from basic EC). I'm not sure what I'd want them to give to make the status more meaningful, but anything that costs them money is probably going to require a lot more than 25 rentals a year...
I had 365 rental days this past year and will have another 365 rental days this year. I don't expect any special treatment other than the standard EE benefits and kind managers doing their thing.

There was a thread discussing VIP status (which does exist but is not advertised and out of reach of most mortals) which is a step above EE, but for that it was discussed that you'll need to wield travel accounts power to bring in alot of business to National OR Friend of Taylors OR be an actual VIP (and the usual mantra seem to apply...if you have to wonder if you qualify for VIP...you probably don't)

But otherwise I will also echo other sentiments here that I wish there was something nicer for the EE customers.....
ginmqi is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
He's asking about the benefits of executive elite over executive. EA access is available to executive.
I know, I was pointing out that the Executive Aisle was the defacto upgrade for all elites and asking at the counter for your "complimentary upgrade" likely will result in nothing, because it's not a published benefit. I would take the words complimentary upgrade out my vocab and simply ask nicely if their is a chance I'll be able to get anything nicer than what's on the Aisle.

It would be nice if National had more EE benefits. Perhaps reserve and pay one car class less including SUV's , Or a separate area with Premium Cars or higher for EE.
Yellowjj is online now  
Old Sep 20, 18, 8:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sarasota, FL (SRQ)
Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Posts: 435
If there is a greeter at the lot, I will engage with him/her briefly while walking towards the Exec aisle and indicate that I am Exec Elite. Maybe half the time, they ask if there is something specific I am looking for that they can pull around for me. The other half of the time they ignore. YMMV.
Hot Pocket is offline  
Old Sep 23, 18, 12:16 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salt Lake City
Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, AA Plat, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titnmn, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 1,490
Originally Posted by wm47 View Post
What I value the most is being able to use the Emerald Reserve service for any car for my reward days -- I usually get Suburbans or Expeditions for family vacations, something you can't always count on being available via the Executive Aisle. I should point out that I don't believe I have ever been turned down -- when the upgraded vehicle I want is actually available -- when asking for an upgrade to an SUV at a counter service location or for an SUV when renting at an Executive Aisle location where there are SUV's available but not actually in the Aisle. But I don't know that this is necessarily a result of Executive Elite status; I might get the same treatment as an Exec.
This is my favorite benefit -- while National plays games with luxury cars, being able to reserve something like a good SUV for the free days is the best EE perk. This varies greatly by location though, for example I generally rent in SEA, LAS, or SLC. SLC (I think a franchised location) has terrible recognition of status and won't release any nicer cars (and just try talking them into it... it won't go well.) LAS and SEA have been great -- lots available and generally they will work hard to find you something good if you need it.
bworrell is offline  
Old Sep 29, 18, 1:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 87
Another advertised benefit is delivery to FBOs, not a pilot yet but I imagine it would be nice when you fly into a small airport for a few days.
Yu Zhong is offline  
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:39 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post
I have a hard time believing that you consistently get low mileage luxury cars for the price of a Corolla from Hertz as a PC member. The whole reason I left Hertz was their stinginess with PC members, rarely even giving out the "Guaranteed" one class car upgrades. And a lot of high mileage worn down garbage. That was several years ago and maybe things have changed for the better with their new choice program, but I don't miss them.

Once in a while I do rent from Hertz, when I don't think the price premium National charges is worth it (and this seems to be happening more and more). And I'm usually reminded why I left.

Finally, there is no "Hype" to EE. It barely has any benefit over Exec. Slightly easier to earn a free day, free days are good for almost any car class, and guaranteed availability.

I find the customer service to be better overall with National as well.
are there any aisle called elite in certain airports special for executive elite?
Ijones027 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 19, 3:54 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
He's asking about the benefits of executive elite over executive. EA access is available to executive.
are there certain airports like mco with a special ee aisle?
Ijones027 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,739
No, just the same ES with better benefits.
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:54 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,739
No. Don't we have 2 threads on the same topic now?
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 2, 19, 11:27 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by Ijones027 View Post
are there certain airports like mco with a special ee aisle?
Last week at SEA I think there was like one Escalade all by itself they said was the EE aisle or something (or maybe I misheard, I was in a hurry and just grabbed my car and jetted out).

Would be nice to see more of them though!
HonoraryOrange is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: