Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Words cannot express how much I HATE the new website

Old Aug 14, 18, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ?!

What did we even gain? The layout is completely nonsensical now- it got worse from the previous iteration than the one before that, a disturbing trend which must come about because someone in Marketing must think that a "pretty" new site will drive up sales (vs. ya know, "prices", "selection" and "site usability").
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:59 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

It's not (only) about a "pretty new site". It's about a single responsive design that can work for both mobile and desktop. The mantra these days is mobile first. A lot of the push for this is that Google will ding your site rankings if your pages are not mobile friendly. National's old site was not very mobile friendly and they were probably paying a price for this in terms of SEO. While we agree there is much to dislike about the new page from a functionality perspective, it does appear to be more mobile friendly--at least to Google's bots.
m907 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Fiiiine. At least there's some ulterior motive involved and not just "new coat of paint".

Too bad one can't opt back into the older site though.
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
https://legacy.nationalcar.com
kennycrudup and m907 like this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 7:08 pm

Fiiiine. At least there's some ulterior motive involved and not just "new coat of paint".

Yes, AutoSlash is correct. A large part of the world has moved on from desktop PC and now use tablets, phones, and other mobile devices.

As such today websites either must be optimized for mobile browsing and or at least "responsive". Those that fit neither get dinged seriously in search engine rankings, including the all important Google.

There are tons of old, orphaned and or whatever websites cluttering up the web that don't look well on mobile devices. Those are slowing finding themselves dropping further and further back in search engine search pages.

Other issue is that Internet Explorer is no longer the king of web browsers.

Chrome, Safari, Firefox make up the top three, with IE coming in fourth just ahead of Opera which is fifth. This means that websites must also work across two or more platforms as well, or again they get dinged in search engine rankings.
AutoSlash and m907 like this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Whoa! Thanks for this!
Old Aug 16, 18, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Spoke too soon- my login doesn't work on the legacy site (yet does on the new one).
Old Aug 19, 18, 2:07 am

Spoke too soon- my login doesn't work on the legacy site (yet does on the new one).
Used legacy site several times last week, worked fine.

As with previous National website changes, won't go over to the "new" until forced to do so by shutting down of previous/legacy.
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Huh. Tried the legacy site again, got in this time. Must have been a transient issue.
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:34 pm

Tried new site today and quickly got fed up and switched over to "legacy".

As part of the "responsive" push everything is drop down with extensive list of choices.

Using LGA as a pick-up location gives "Zagreb" airport which if one is not careful is choice entered. Then one has to go back and correct.

Simply using "NYC" gave only Manhattan and Brooklyn locations, now it returns a huge list of places no where near. One has to scroll down that long list to find proper location.

Again understand why site is designed this way; for tablets and phones it is easier to scroll down a list of choices, but never the less it is aggravating.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:23 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I have mixed feelings about the new site -- I also get the responsive part of it. But the new site wouldn't let me update a free car day reservation correctly --- changing the time slightly didn't seem to calculate correctly. The old site worked fine.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:44 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UAPlat/Million Miler;Honnors Diamond,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Can't find the last minute specials on new site;
classic has them but when I try to go beyond time and place, it just spins goes to blank screen.
Old Sep 3, 18, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rustyr View Post
Can't find the last minute specials on new site;
classic has them but when I try to go beyond time and place, it just spins goes to blank screen.
Go here: https://legacy.nationalcar.com/en_US...l-results.html
Old Sep 15, 18, 7:48 pm

Programs: Southwest
Agree. New site stinks. I can't even get it to recognize the generic code for Emerald Club Members. The one that ends in X125. Why do people fix things that are not broken?
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by lil Gophee View Post
Agree. New site stinks. I can't even get it to recognize the generic code for Emerald Club Members. The one that ends in X125. Why do people fix things that are not broken?
Try this instead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: