FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Waiving airport fees if you didn't arrive by plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/1924420-waiving-airport-fees-if-you-didnt-arrive-plane.html)

m907 Aug 9, 2018 8:56 pm

Waiving airport fees if you didn't arrive by plane

I live near a major airport and occasionally rent from there without flying. As described in this thread, National updated their terms of service last year:

At certain locations, the fees and other charges described in Section 3(b)(11), above, may not apply in the event Renter did not arrive at certain airports by plane within a specified period prior to the commencement of a rental transaction. Certain other fees and charges described in Section 3(b)(11) may not be applicable to vehicles rented as temporary replacements for vehicles unavailable due to mechanical breakdown, repair, service, damage or loss. These fees and charges may not be assessed if (A) Renter advises Owner at the counter at the time of the rental transaction that either (i) the Renter did not arrive at the airport by plane prior to the commencement of the rental transaction or (ii) Vehicle will be utilized as a replacement vehicle, and (B) the Owner determines that the fee and/or charge is not applicable to such Renter as a result of same. In the event Renter bypasses the counter at the time of the rental transaction without advising Owner of the foregoing facts, Renter acknowledges and agrees to incur certain fees and charges that may not otherwise have been applicable.
Has anyone tried to get the fees waived, or know which "certain locations" this qualifies to? Any experience with this clause? Airport-related fees can be pretty hefty so this would amount to a savings of $10-$20 or more in some places.

BugsyPal Aug 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 30066695)
I live near a major airport and occasionally rent from there without flying. As described in this thread, National updated their terms of service last year:

Has anyone tried to get the fees waived, or know which "certain locations" this qualifies to? Any experience with this clause? Airport-related fees can be pretty hefty so this would amount to a savings of $10-$20 or more in some places.

We've had several discussions on the matter.

Myself and others have had fees waived at LGA when informing counter agents did not arrive via plane. In fact most of the time now they just waive the fees without my even asking. Guess they see the NYS drivers license and or know the look of me by now.

LGA however is located off airport property, and not sure if that makes a difference.

Reach out to location in question and speak with a manager or counter agent to see what their policy is regarding the situation.

m907 Aug 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal (Post 30069989)
We've had several discussions on the matter.

Myself and others have had fees waived at LGA when informing counter agents did not arrive via plane. In fact most of the time now they just waive the fees without my even asking. Guess they see the NYS drivers license and or know the look of me by now.

LGA however is located off airport property, and not sure if that makes a difference.

Reach out to location in question and speak with a manager or counter agent to see what their policy is regarding the situation.

Thanks for the info. Would be nice if we could start a list of locations that allow it. I'll be trying this and will report back.

3Cforme Aug 12, 2018 6:14 am

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 30072425)
Would be nice if we could start a list of locations that allow it.

That's a function of taxing authority law - state/county/city/airport authority.

As mentioned, discussion goes back some years. Here's a six year-old article on SFO. https://blog.sfgate.com/dgreenberg/2...arging-20-fee/

jetsfan92588 Aug 12, 2018 8:36 am

Anyone know if it's possible to get refunds for amounts paid in the past? And how far can you go back?

m907 Aug 13, 2018 12:34 am

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 (Post 30073911)
Anyone know if it's possible to get refunds for amounts paid in the past? And how far can you go back?

Terms only allow it if you inform them at the counter at the time of the rental, so no.

m907 Feb 21, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm reviving this thread to see if anyone has ever successfully done this, and where (other than LGA as reported above). I've tried at the counter at PIT and DCA but they were just confused and had never heard of it.

@AutoSlash, do you guys know of any National locations that do this?

glostix Feb 21, 2020 3:32 pm

I have been dutifully paying these fees at SFO even though I am a local and have personally emailed SFO's executive contacts to clarify their stance, with a link to the news article posted above. Their PR person confirmed that the Airtran fee doesn't apply if you didn't get there via Airtran. I checked this several years ago, purely to satisfy my own curiosity, and never even bothered to ask for the fees to be removed because I'm too lazy to sort this out on a rental, or don't want to invite any further scrutiny of my low rental prices ;)

Someone probably should though, and set the precedent straight.

bocastephen Feb 21, 2020 7:26 pm

I've been refused at every airport I've tried this with - the exit agents just stare blindly not even comprehending the request, while managers claim "oh, it can't be done". I guess they don't have a way to filter out who arrived by what means since they owe the taxing authorities based on the outbound rental contracts, which is my assumption.

4aks Feb 22, 2020 2:21 am

Silvercar does this for me , it is off airport , the only thing waived is the tourist fee ... which is a few dollars - they have me sign a form saying I hadn't used the airport within 48 hours

BugsyPal Feb 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32099026)
I've been refused at every airport I've tried this with - the exit agents just stare blindly not even comprehending the request, while managers claim "oh, it can't be done". I guess they don't have a way to filter out who arrived by what means since they owe the taxing authorities based on the outbound rental contracts, which is my assumption.

Suppose it might just come down to nature of concession/airport fees and statue upon which based.

For LGA or even Kennedy airports it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out someone who lives in local area didn't arrive by plane.

Maybe those having difficulties should contact a local consumer news reporter, or maybe one of those online places that offer to resolve such issues. Failing this there is always reaching out to local district attorney or state attorney general to have them force Enterprise/National issue clear policies.

These concession fees and various taxes are cash cows for both car rental companies and local/state governments. So am not surprised one or both isn't eager to let consumers know there might be ways to save money. Yes, it may only be a few dollars per rental, but add that up over hundreds per week and we're talking about serious "money for nothing".

BSpeaker Mar 10, 2020 7:11 pm

This never crossed my mind. I just assumed the airport fees were there because the rental agency was renting space on the airport and using the airports roads. Interesting idea. My usual solution to the fees is to rent from an off-airport site if available, then arrange to return the car to the airport if it's more convenient. Thanks for the heads up!

m907 Mar 11, 2020 2:47 am

Originally Posted by BSpeaker (Post 32166943)
This never crossed my mind. I just assumed the airport fees were there because the rental agency was renting space on the airport and using the airports roads. Interesting idea. My usual solution to the fees is to rent from an off-airport site if available, then arrange to return the car to the airport if it's more convenient. Thanks for the heads up!

It seems very difficult to do outside of the NYC area and National's customer service won't provide any lists of locations that do it. If you have success, please report back here!