Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

You can figure out how old a car is by its license plate number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

if you want to figure out at a glance which car is newer, you can see which one has the higher license plate number. Most states have sequential license plates, so ones with higher letters/numbers are on newer cars. For example, a car with Pennsylvania plates KDJ1973 is older than a car with KLR2859
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:14 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
This is not really a relevant metric with the rental fleets. As cars move around and get re-plated, oftentimes they change plates multiple times, even during the year or two they're in the fleet. I once rented a Fiat 500X that was on a Kansas plate, but in the glovebox were prior registrations from Utah and Florida. It seems as though as cars come off fleet and head to auction/sale, the station will remove the plates, and then recycle them to vehicles with expiring plates or new vehicles. For instance, I know the DTW station has a rotation of plates that all date back to the middle of the decade (2012/2013) but they just affixed those plates to brand new 2018 vehicles.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:54 am

The registration stickers will give a better indication won't they?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:58 pm

This also doesn't work in a state where you can transfer plates from one vehicle to another. My 2016 vehicle has the same license plate that my 2005 vehicle did before I traded up to the 2016.

It WILL tell you which license plate is newer, though.

Last edited by JMorgana; Aug 1, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
For the most part in Washington you can. The only cars the defies the odds are the suburus. those all come used but are plated like new cars. ?Right now the newer cars would start with BKE-BLC.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I haven't seen a car more than 3 years old in the aisle. And I haven't seen a 2016 model in the executive aisle in 2018. For the most part, you shouldn't see differences in license plate numbers for most states for just a 3 year period.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
From my experience, Fleet plates are often reused, how else can a brand new rental with less than 100 miles on it have plates that look beat up and worn? Back in the 80's, Colorado plates included the County, and it was pretty easy to tell the sequencing. The only Colorado plates that I'm aware of that give some sort of indication of registration date are the specialty plates such as the Colorado Ski Country USA plates. As luck would have it, 6 of us in the family switched to these within a 2 month span and have numbers very close to each other.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:44 pm

Look at the mileage on the dashboard?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Look at the mileage on the dashboard?
It's faster to look at the license plate numbers and pick whichever one is higher
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:45 pm

Yeah, picked up at CMH today...first 6 cars had plates from 6 different states...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010

It's faster to look at the license plate numbers and pick whichever one is higher
Not if I rented that car before you! 😄 I tend to put on a lot of miles on my rentals
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
How about looking at the manfacturer's plaque in the door jamb showing the month/ year of production for the vehicle when you first enter the unit ?
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.