Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

How does National calculate refueling charges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

If you don't fill up the tank before returning a car, how does National calculate how much to charge you for refueling: does the agent take the total number of miles you've driven and divide that by a standard number of miles per gallon, or another way?

I drove a car 75 miles recently and was short of time, so I didn't refuel. The fuel gauge still showed "Full", though. When I dropped off the car, the agent asked if I had refueled; I said, correctly, that I had not. I was charged for 2 gallons of gas. That's fair, but is my understanding of the process correct (so that I know for next time)? Or if I refuel the car part-way through the trip, can I be charged only for the amount that the fuel tank is short (rather than for all of the fuel that would have been used during a trip)?

Thanks.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:39 am

In general they look at the fuel gauge to the nearest 1/8 of a tank. They have the specs for each car's fuel tank size and multiply the number of gallons times the elevated price per gallon that they charge if you don't select the refueling option when you pick up.

For your example, my suspicion would be that they saw the gauge was full, but you stated you hadn't filled up so they did a guesstimate and charged you for a couple gallons which was probably fair.
ibrandsguest and jackal like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:58 am

They waive the fuel charges for any minor complaint. The employees are worried about bad feedback, and fuel charges frequently lead to customers leaving a bad rating when they get the survey call the next day.
Just say something like the aux port wasn't working and they'll waive the fuel charges. Don't do it too often though. I'd only do it if there actually was a legitimate complaint about the car, I'd return it empty knowing that there's a good chance they'll waive the fuel charges.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thank you both. I have to be honest (both about positive/negative experiences) and not refueling, so I'll gladly pay for the fuel. It just seems like there would be a lot of people who's scam the system by claiming that they refueled even if they didn't, if the gauge still says Full.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Many new cars have electronic sensors that show fuel level with greater precision than somebody eyeballing the gauge. These can be accessed via wifi. They know you didn't use 'zero' gas driving 75 miles.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reality is that, like you, most people are not crooks and tell the truth.

The estimate is just that and as noted above, the fuel guages are now much more accurate than in the past.

I've also had places which use the mileage on low-mileage rentals where I've confirmed I didn't put anything into the tank.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I've had a different experience where I filled up the tank at a gas station across the street from the facility right before returning the car and I was charged for fuel. Apparently the gauge of that car doesn't update immediately so it still showed below a full tank even though I filled it completely. As soon as I got a receipt that showed the charged, I talked to another representative in the booth and got the fee waived by showing the gas receipt. I wish a more accurate electronic sensor was used for me.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Many new cars have electronic sensors that show fuel level with greater precision than somebody eyeballing the gauge. These can be accessed via wifi. They know you didn't use 'zero' gas driving 75 miles.
Avis has the whole Connected Car thing going on and I think they may use that where it's available, but Hertz and Enterprise (and subsidiaries) most assuredly do NOT bother to access that information. They still use the fuel gauge to the nearest 1/8, and lower-end cars' gauges are still notoriously inaccurate and poorly calibrated, contrary to reports upthread.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If not full, the computers supposedly go by mileage but I still feel like employees just but a gallon estimate in. Note that these calculations do not go in your favor. Nor does the guesswork by the folks checking your return. I’m sure that’s how they skim money off most corporate rentals. Until there’s a class action of course...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Anyone knows how this works in the other direction? Out at 7/8, in at full, told I'd get a credit. Receipt agrees. How long does this take?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.