Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over-inflated tires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Over-inflated tires

Is it standard practice for National to way over-inflate their tires? I've had several rentals where I picked the cars up and found they were at 40-45 psi, when the requirement was 30-35.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
As far as I can tell, yes. No idea why.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Many (most?) cars ship from the manufacturer with overinflated tires. I have read that it is done to help prevent flat spotting the tires when parked for an extended time during transport. Especially when strapped down on a ship/train/truck, the tension on the straps significantly increases the static load on the tires. When a new car is delivered to a dealer, setting the tires to the proper inflation is supposed to be part of the "pre-delivery check".

I have noticed that a significant number of the rental cars I have driven were overinflated, and just assumed that they didn't check it.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Many (most?) cars ship from the manufacturer with overinflated tires. I have read that it is done to help prevent flat spotting the tires when parked for an extended time during transport. Especially when strapped down on a ship/train/truck, the tension on the straps significantly increases the static load on the tires. When a new car is delivered to a dealer, setting the tires to the proper inflation is supposed to be part of the "pre-delivery check".

I have noticed that a significant number of the rental cars I have driven were overinflated, and just assumed that they didn't check it.
That's interesting info. But I've seen cars that are not brand new be over-inflated. In fact I was at National recently and was about to pick a car when an employee took it away. The guy helping people on the lot said he was just going to inflate the tires. I waited for him to come back and he had inflated the tires to 45 psi. So it must be intentional.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Yes this has been my experience as well. Got Challengers on 50 PSI once...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by m907
Is it standard practice for National to way over-inflate their tires? I've had several rentals where I picked the cars up and found they were at 40-45 psi, when the requirement was 30-35.
The tire pressures shown on the driver's door jamb - for everything sold in the U.S. - are a recommendation, not a requirement. There are two requirements:

- that cold pressures not exceed the max molded on the tire's sidewall
- that pressures are adequate to carry the load of vehicle and cargo at expected speeds and ambient temperatures

40-45 psi might leave you with a stiff riding car. It may well not be outside of requirements.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:19 pm

Interesting as I had similar experience after renting at OGG. PSI were reading about 44-45 on all 4 tires on the infotainment screen.

I know higher PSI usually means better MPG in general. No idea why specifically they inflate to 40+....but I'm happy to get a bit more MPG out of it though
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Interesting as I had similar experience after renting at OGG. PSI were reading about 44-45 on all 4 tires on the infotainment screen.

I know higher PSI usually means better MPG in general. No idea why specifically they inflate to 40+....but I'm happy to get a bit more MPG out of it though
But (at a given load) higher PSI also means suboptimal wear and traction characteristics. It is surprising that they would willingly take on that liability.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
But (at a given load) higher PSI also means suboptimal wear and traction characteristics. It is surprising that they would willingly take on that liability.
I've never heard of a lawsuit (at least covered in Auto Rental News, anyway) against a rental agency due to overinflated tires, so I don't think the liability for traction is on anyone's minds. (That might change if a customer ever wins a lawsuit on that basis.) As for wear, the rental companies generally don't keep the cars long enough for that to be a factor--by the time it's even close to time to replace the tires, the cars are typically long gone from the fleet.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:15 am

That's interesting info. But I've seen cars that are not brand new be over-inflated. In fact I was at National recently and was about to pick a car when an employee took it away. The guy helping people on the lot said he was just going to inflate the tires. I waited for him to come back and he had inflated the tires to 45 psi. So it must be intentional.
They are absolutely not intentionally over inflating tires. There are so many variables, but National or any rental agency has no reason to purposely over inflate tires. Likely scenarios for over inflation are:
-Tires were over inflated from the manufacturer for shipping reasons, etc. and not corrected upon introduction to the fleet
-The porters added air to the tires and did not have a tire gauge and just visually check to make sure the tires look inflated. These people are paid close to minimum wage and have to move cars in and out very quickly and do not have time to make sure each tire's PSI matches what's listed on the driver's door
-The car came from a cold climate and the air expanded in the current warmer climate giving a higher PSI

It might be different in Europe, but rental agencies in the US aren't combing over rental cars before they put them in the fleet. Maybe they should, but I've certainly never had that expectation. If you watch the people turning over they cars, they just get them processed in as fast as they can.
jackal likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by tstad
-The porters added air to the tires and did not have a tire gauge and just visually check to make sure the tires look inflated. These people are paid close to minimum wage and have to move cars in and out very quickly and do not have time to make sure each tire's PSI matches what's listed on the driver's door
This is probably exacerbated by the tendency of correctly inflated low profile tires to look underinflated, in a lot of scenarios.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tstad
They are absolutely not intentionally over inflating tires. There are so many variables, but National or any rental agency has no reason to purposely over inflate tires. Likely scenarios for over inflation are:
-Tires were over inflated from the manufacturer for shipping reasons, etc. and not corrected upon introduction to the fleet
-The car came from a cold climate and the air expanded in the current warmer climate giving a higher PSI

It might be different in Europe, but rental agencies in the US aren't combing over rental cars before they put them in the fleet. Maybe they should, but I've certainly never had that expectation. If you watch the people turning over they cars, they just get them processed in as fast as they can.
Originally Posted by dtremit
This is probably exacerbated by the tendency of correctly inflated low profile tires to look underinflated, in a lot of scenarios.
in my case the attendant actually took the car off the aisle to inflate the tires then brought it back. This was on a Sunday night when it wasn't busy and the weather was fairly mild. The tires stayed stable around 45 psi during the rental so I doubt it was flat when he took it, and I didn't take it out of the metro area. It is possible it just looked underinflated to him but still doesn't make much sense to me.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:42 pm

This happens often with Hertz, I carry a small digital tire gauge for this reason.

One thing to note, while not good, overinflated tires are better to have than underinflated tires. Tires can easily handle an extra +10 psi over the recommended cold pressure amount, they’re not going to explode.

Handling will be a little weird and the tire will certainly wear out the tread faster, but it’s no where near is as bad as driving -5 psi or more under inflated.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiscoPants
This happens often with Hertz, I carry a small digital tire gauge for this reason.

One thing to note, while not good, overinflated tires are better to have than underinflated tires. Tires can easily handle an extra +10 psi over the recommended cold pressure amount, they’re not going to explode.

Handling will be a little weird and the tire will certainly wear out the tread faster, but it’s no where near is as bad as driving -5 psi or more under inflated.
What makes -5 underinflated worse than +10 over-inflated? Is it just gas mileage or actually dangerous?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:21 pm

What makes -5 underinflated worse than +10 over-inflated? Is it just gas mileage or actually dangerous?
Dangerous for sure. This article is a very interesting read: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.