Status above Executive Elite?

Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_C._Taylor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_C._Taylor
https://www.forbes.com/profile/jack-taylor/ (and https://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/54...mily_Q8FL.html)

Family of Taylors already get better-than-VIP status...whenever anyone even remotely connected to the Taylor family arrives at an Enterprise location, they're treated with a level of worship usually reserved for deities.
FWIW, the VIP level has existed well before the Enterprise "merger" with Vanguard (then-parent company of National/Alamo). VIP was exclusive to National for years (as an official, then offical level), and only after the brands consolidated under 1 umbrella was VIP officially recognized by Enterprise, Alamo and (briefly) Europcar.

The FoT factor (I'm told) is very, very limited - and has nothing more to do with National's VIP level than Doug Parker's family's special treatment on AA that stands apart from Concierge Key.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:05 pm

Dang must be nice....but then again if you're the head of a multi billion dollar company....you pretty much will expect billionaire-like treatment.

Certainly their day to day lives are going to be drastically different than most of us plebians and definitely no surprise that they get extra special treatment than "regular" VIPs....
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Dang must be nice....but then again if you're the head of a multi billion dollar company....you pretty much will expect billionaire-like treatment.

Certainly their day to day lives are going to be drastically different than most of us plebians and definitely no surprise that they get extra special treatment than "regular" VIPs....
real billionaires and otherwise very rich folk dont care about National VIP. This program is primarily for those that work in purchasing and control or can influence large purchasing decisions. What has always surprised me is that at FBOs the selection of cars is generally awful. Impalas and vans and non lux suvs Like expeditions or Tahoes. My two data points of an Amex black holder requesting a specific vehicle were denied (one was National Exec and one was Hertz Platinum). The response was a flat out no unless it was requested two weeks in advance although they offered to let you go to a specific location and swap it yourself but these were NOT free upgrades. I should note these werent major airports, they are more willing to accommodate if its a major airport and they can send someone to the otherside of the airport to pick something up from commercial side. But again, when you are a real vip showing up in a jet its hard to get free upgrades for the same reason that someone living in a mansion is probably going to get higher prices from a plumber that might have to fix the same issue in a $100k house. I think thats called trickle up economics.

I will also note that each time you roll up at an FBO regardless of status they have the car immediately pulled up next to the plane and thats pretty VIP but I think each time the person doing that was an FBO employee, not rental car employee.
jackal and ginmqi like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jackal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_C._Taylor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_C._Taylor
https://www.forbes.com/profile/jack-taylor/ (and https://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/54...mily_Q8FL.html)

Family of Taylors already get better-than-VIP status...whenever anyone even remotely connected to the Taylor family arrives at an Enterprise location, they're treated with a level of worship usually reserved for deities.
Originally Posted by ucfjoe

real billionaires and otherwise very rich folk dont care about National VIP. This program is primarily for those that work in purchasing and control or can influence large purchasing decisions. What has always surprised me is that at FBOs the selection of cars is generally awful. Impalas and vans and non lux suvs Like expeditions or Tahoes. My two data points of an Amex black holder requesting a specific vehicle were denied (one was National Exec and one was Hertz Platinum). The response was a flat out no unless it was requested two weeks in advance although they offered to let you go to a specific location and swap it yourself but these were NOT free upgrades. I should note these werent major airports, they are more willing to accommodate if its a major airport and they can send someone to the otherside of the airport to pick something up from commercial side. But again, when you are a real vip showing up in a jet its hard to get free upgrades for the same reason that someone living in a mansion is probably going to get higher prices from a plumber that might have to fix the same issue in a $100k house. I think thats called trickle up economics.

I will also note that each time you roll up at an FBO regardless of status they have the car immediately pulled up next to the plane and thats pretty VIP but I think each time the person doing that was an FBO employee, not rental car employee.
Interesting and makes sense. I can see how if you are person in your company that can bring a LOT of business to EHI then you'll be treated at a level even above executive elite.

Recently read a personal experience/comment of someone who rubbed shoulders (worked under them, he himself wasn't super rich) with the ultra wealthy and you're right these "VIP" programs are probably not even on their radar or care at all. It's like living two different worlds and time/service is of utmost importance.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:39 pm

Avis is garbage.

you can rent a car for 365 days of the year and you will still not get into Avis's secretive club. And yet, "fat cat" Joe who has never rented from Avis but pulls out his Amex black centurion card gets a limo rental with chauffeur. True story.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I was status matched to Avis's President's Club. Nothing recommendable about it. I use it infrequently when I have to be somewhere that has a particularly awful National location (e.g. SLC)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Recently read a personal experience/comment of someone who rubbed shoulders (worked under them, he himself wasn't super rich) with the ultra wealthy and you're right these "VIP" programs are probably not even on their radar or care at all. It's like living two different worlds and time/service is of utmost importance.
If anything, VIP status with a car rental company would benefit the person's assistant, since they're the one actually doing all the mundane stuff like picking up the car (or calling black cars), checking into the hotel, etc.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Reserved car type in aisle at PHL...?

Hi. I noticed the other day that several cars (not premium/luxury) were in the Executive aisle but had the doors locked and a reserved sign on them. The staff indicated that some VIP renters are able to pre-select a specific car that would normally be in the aisle to guarantee the car choice. Is this a new benefit? I rented a car from National 238 days in 2017 and on track for a similar amount of days this year. Typically rent for 3 week rentals out of EWR so because I am not there every week the staff doesn't generally recognize me.

How can I request this out of Newark?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:06 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Going to merge this with your other thread you started about VIP status earlier this year.
-dwbf11
National Mod
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Going to merge this with your other thread you started about VIP status earlier this year.
-dwbf11
National Mod
Not sure its completely relevant to merge. One was about higher secret status levels, one is about the ability to reserve a car in the aisle...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Your post is asking about a benefit of VIP status, which is the same topic explained extensively in this thread; I think having the two combined makes sense. If you feel strongly about it or would like to discuss further, feel free to send a private message.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by JCrew7384
Hi. I noticed the other day that several cars (not premium/luxury) were in the Executive aisle but had the doors locked and a reserved sign on them. The staff indicated that some VIP renters are able to pre-select a specific car that would normally be in the aisle to guarantee the car choice. Is this a new benefit? I rented a car from National 238 days in 2017 and on track for a similar amount of days this year. Typically rent for 3 week rentals out of EWR so because I am not there every week the staff doesn't generally recognize me.

How can I request this out of Newark?
I would just call and see.

Because for one thing...if you have to ask to get on their VIP list...you probably don't qualify.

I rented over 250+ days last year and will have 365 days of rental this year (heh) and trust me....unless I know a location's manager well....I'm not holding my breath for any kind of VIP service at all.

BUT to be fair the HNL staff is absolutely wonderful and just recently I was able to get the exact kind of car I wanted (Prius) on my long-term rental (since I change out cars every so often).

Many of national locations have great service, and if there's a specific kind of car you're looking for, never hurt to give them a call and see if they can get it for you. But again for those pre-selected/VIP type of renters....we're not in the same league as those customers.....

Last edited by ginmqi; Jul 19, 2018 at 6:37 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I would just call and see.

Because for one thing...if you have to ask to get on their VIP list...you probably don't qualify.

I rented over 250+ days last year and will have 365 days of rental this year (heh) and trust me....unless I know a location's manager well....I'm not holding my breath for any kind of VIP service at all.

BUT to be fair the HNL staff is absolutely wonderful and just recently I was able to get the exact kind of car I wanted (Prius) on my long-term rental (since I change out cars every so often).

Many of national locations have great service, and if there's a specific kind of car you're looking for, never hurt to give them a call and see if they can get it for you. But again for those pre-selected/VIP type of renters....we're not in the same league as those customers.....
At 365 days this year, how could you NOT be in the same league?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JCrew7384
At 365 days this year, how could you NOT be in the same league?
Haha, I know right. But there are other posters here who report they have 200+ days/year for many years of rental and they don't get the VIP treatment. Merely EE. Even though I rent that much this year, I'm still probably a small fry compared to people who have the power to bring in hundreds/thousands of renters to EHI (ie high networth, high level execs and travel coordinators for big companies....)

I think it has been discussed already in this thread, but VIP likely have much higher influence/power/wealth/income than me. Or it's people who have power over travel contracts for large coporate accounts that can bring in lots of business to EHI.

But with that said, with a long term rental out of one location you do develop a relationship with the staff and they do go out of their way to really help you out get the car you want (within reason). I was able to request a Prius specifically and just got into one on a exchange.

Obviously I know better than to ask for that BMW 7-series at the premium selection spot with my midsize-rate rental contract....lol
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ucfjoe

Genuinely rich folks don't care about National VIP because they aren't picking up rental cars. They either have a local car service picking them up, or their personal driver is either driving to their destination and meeting them, or flying out ahead of them and meeting them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.