Wiki Posts
Search

Malfunctioning Vehicle Back on the Line

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Malfunctioning Vehicle Back on the Line

I picked up a rental off of the EC at LAX (BMW 430i Convertible) and the plan was to drop it off at ONT (Ontario, CA). However, 3 days into the rental, I was driving and the car displayed a red exclamation point with the following messages:
  • Passenger Restraint Malfunction! Contact Service Center
  • Dynamic Stability Control Malfunction! Contact Service Center
  • Supplemental Restraint System Malfunction! Contact Service Center
I drove the car to ONT and explained the malfunctions. The agent who checked-in the car noted the malfunction messages, as the manager did too. The manager shut the car off and then turned the car back on again, the messages still appeared.

They swapped me into a similar BMW 430i, but I saw the car that I was driving go to the service area, only to see it get washed and brought back to the line. When I asked if they did a diagnostic on the car, the manager said "no" and that it will reset itself eventually. While I was waiting for the new car to get cleaned, another customer got into the car that I had returned, turned the car on, turned the car off, and told the EA agent that the car had error messages.

Clearly this vehicle needed to be brought to a service center because something is seriously wrong with the car. Is this a common issue with National now?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fgirard
I picked up a rental off of the EC at LAX (BMW 430i Convertible) and the plan was to drop it off at ONT (Ontario, CA). However, 3 days into the rental, I was driving and the car displayed a red exclamation point with the following messages:
  • Passenger Restraint Malfunction! Contact Service Center
  • Dynamic Stability Control Malfunction! Contact Service Center
  • Supplemental Restraint System Malfunction! Contact Service Center
I drove the car to ONT and explained the malfunctions. The agent who checked-in the car noted the malfunction messages, as the manager did too. The manager shut the car off and then turned the car back on again, the messages still appeared.

They swapped me into a similar BMW 430i, but I saw the car that I was driving go to the service area, only to see it get washed and brought back to the line. When I asked if they did a diagnostic on the car, the manager said "no" and that it will reset itself eventually. While I was waiting for the new car to get cleaned, another customer got into the car that I had returned, turned the car on, turned the car off, and told the EA agent that the car had error messages.

Clearly this vehicle needed to be brought to a service center because something is seriously wrong with the car. Is this a common issue with National now?
I don't see how you can generalize that 1 issue with 1 location (or even just 1 specific manager) is National SOP. This has not been my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.