Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
What about on the regular aisle? I don't have access to executive.
Personally, I don’t have an outright “must avoid” on either aisle anymore. Even the basic sedans that run aplenty on the Emerald Aisle are fairly decent now. Depends what’s important to you. All Altimas have a smart-key. All 2017+ Corollas and Camrys have Toyota Safety Sense (auto-brake, lane departure warning, etc.). I’ve seen Malibus with panoramic roofs. Fusion Titaniums (and lower trims with the right package) have leather.

The only models I actively avoided were the Jeep Patriot and the previous-gen Jeep Compass, just because they seemed to be universally panned and were found in very basic trims in the fleet.
ginmqi and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:46 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Favorite rental is always the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd Limited once they got car play.

It's comfortable, capable if you need to go somewhere less than paved, good storage space, and all the gizmos. I learned to appreciate cooled seats when I moved to Phoenix and ended up with one on a recurring rental for over a year.

Im not a fan of some of the junk National has been buying lately so I take anything with leather, cooled seats, and apple car play...

Won't drive anything from Ford. The design sucks for tall or wide people since the left foot rest is up against the wheel well. It means during long drives my leg needs to be tilted to the right instead of directly in front of me... drives me nuts.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:06 am

I got a chance to drive the 2019 Ford Edge Titanium. It is improved over the '18. Seats seem nicer, Bang & Olufsen system sounds better especially in surround mode, and Ford's CoPilot system is pretty advanced, but you have to watch it closely because it's definitely not perfect.

But gas mileage is still too low for a 5-passenger SUV and throttle response is subpar unless you're in sport mode using the paddle shifters.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Had a brand new QX80 for the last 24 hours, wow that thing is junk.... no apple car play and all of the controls are confusing.

ORD tonight for an overnight and hoping for my Tahoe/suburban streak to start back up.

Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Originally Posted by Cloudship
What about on the regular aisle? I don't have access to executive.
Some normal aisles have F150s, the new ones have apple car play now, 2019+.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I got a chance to drive the 2019 Ford Edge Titanium. It is improved over the '18. Seats seem nicer, Bang & Olufsen system sounds better especially in surround mode, and Ford's CoPilot system is pretty advanced, but you have to watch it closely because it's definitely not perfect.

But gas mileage is still too low for a 5-passenger SUV and throttle response is subpar unless you're in sport mode using the paddle shifters.
I think that's a fair assessment. Car & Driver clocked the 2019 Ford Edge Titanium AWD's 0-60 in a surprising 6.8 seconds. Was not expecting an under 7 second run.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I think that's a fair assessment. Car & Driver clocked the 2019 Ford Edge Titanium AWD's 0-60 in a surprising 6.8 seconds. Was not expecting an under 7 second run.
I'm surprised at that too, because my daily driver is about 6.0-6.5 seconds and the Edge felt slower. But Car and Driver has professional drivers who are trained to do whatever it takes to get to 60 and I am not a professional driver.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:55 am

Location: Never far from an international airport, unless I'm far from home
Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
I think my favourite rental car depends on where I am.
Due to the lovely roads in BOS, a Lincoln Continental wins out here.
A Jeep Wrangler out of KOA, OGG, or HNL, a can be the more fun, and let you best take advantage of the weather, and scenery.
A Mustang GT out of LAX is wonderful if you're driving up the PCH.
A snazzy sports, or exotic car at MIA could be just the ticket for Miami Beach.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:47 am

I still have not seen a Lincoln Continental on a National lot.
supermoto1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
I still have not seen a Lincoln Continental on a National lot.
It was a first for me last weekend out of BOS. 1100 miles, new car smell, found myself liking it more than I thought I would.
SoroSuub1, ginmqi and m907 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Last Row Middle Seat
It was a first for me last weekend out of BOS. 1100 miles, new car smell, found myself liking it more than I thought I would.
Was it on the aisle or a paid upgrade?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:31 am

Was it on the aisle or a paid upgrade?
I actually booked luxury because it was only $10/day more than the aisle (and since it was a short trip, I wanted a guaranteed luxury) at time of booking.
A super-helpful lot attendant intercepted me as I was walking to the cars, asking if I was looking for anything in particular.
I asked what they had, and was asked if I had ever driven a Continental - it was pulled from the paid upgrades.
It was a nice car, aside from looking like every other livery vehicle (black on black), had Android Auto, panoramic moonroof, lane keep, adaptive cruise, and adjustable suspension.
I'd definitely drive it again.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Last Row Middle Seat
Always love getting into a car with a "new car smell"
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Favorites: Suburban, Tahoe (or GMC Yukon/XL equivalents), Mustang GT, Challenger, Charger. I either want something big or something that’ll go. I’m far less concerned with useless amenities like moonroofs.

Least Favorite: Impala, Malibu, Camry. I suppose at the very bottom of the list is anything Nissan. I’ll cancel my rental and go to Avis before driving a Sentra, Maxima or Altima.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:39 am

I agree. Nissan just seems really bad right now. I will go to the desk and ask them what they have that can be cleaned and brought up before I rent one. I've got two trips that actually require a lot of driving coming up so I hope I get something decent for each. My last longer distance rental did not go very well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.