Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by m907
I was also disappointed in the Challenger. Drove one awhile back and found the interior ergonomics to be poor and it wasn't nearly as fast as I was expecting. The base model does 0-60 in 6.5 which is much slower than its competitors with base engines.
Agreed on the Challenger - it's a "big, bulky, but fast in a straight line" car that isn't actually fast in a straight line. That 6.5 seconds is notably slower than such legendary dragstrip monsters as the Accord Touring or Camry V-6, both of which are under six seconds.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by m907
I was also disappointed in the Challenger. Drove one awhile back and found the interior ergonomics to be poor and it wasn't nearly as fast as I was expecting. The base model does 0-60 in 6.5 which is much slower than its competitors with base engines.
To add insult, the one I rented didn't have a backup camera or sensors which made backing out a royal pain with the limited visibility.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
To add insult, the one I rented didn't have a backup camera or sensors which made backing out a royal pain with the limited visibility.
Someone should go to jail for the rearward visibility on the Challenger. Seriously.

The 2018 and later models have backup cameras, as required by law, but the display on the base models is about the size of an iPhone 4 - so it's of very little use.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Someone should go to jail for the rearward visibility on the Challenger. Seriously.

The 2018 and later models have backup cameras, as required by law, but the display on the base models is about the size of an iPhone 4 - so it's of very little use.
The Challenger is on my DNR list, period. I get that it's popular for some, heck, my good friend has the Hellcat Charger (very fun to drive), but the Challenger is an accident waiting to happen given the poor visibility.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Least favorite this year would be the Cadillac XT5 and the Dodge Challenger. The XT5 felt antiquated and loud, the Challenger had the worst visibility of any 2 door car I've experienced. Guess I'm growing old, and flat refuse to drive either vehicle again.

Favorites are anything large, including Tahoe, Expedition, but preferably not any Nissan/Infiniti product, as I've owned one and hated it.
Heh, try the current-gen Camaro - the Challenger’s visibility might not look so bad after that.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The BNA Gentleman
Some Infiniti hate? One of the fastest cars on the lot but I DO HATE the hatchback one and they try to make it a lux rental. Garbage car.
If your speaking to me, yes, I hate the Infiniti line. Worst alleged luxury car ever drive. Very fast, mine was a G37X, and after buying a new one, my wife and I avoided it like the plague. Rough ride, noisy, and frankly felt cheap. Friends disagree and think the product is solid, but after thinking I"d give it a second chance and renting a Q50 I've decided they are the same POS as I've experienced in the past. Acura is clear it's a glorified Honda, and Lexus makes an effort to distinguish itself from Toyota with the exception of the ES350, GX, and LX. They can sell what they want, but not to me. Infiniti belongs to the best dealership experience in history (Red Noland), but I won't buy because of the vehicle, not an issue with the dealership..
I have mixed feelings on Infinitis. I used to love the 2007-2008 G35s and G37s. I thought they were sleek and fast and a lot of fun. The current crop of Q50s which replaced them are a Maxima with an Infiniti badge. Nothing about them feels special or luxurious in a way the Nissan isn't. That said, I do like the Q60 3.0T coupes. I think those are fun cars to drive and actually feel like something I wouldn't mind owning.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: A few here and there
This weekend I had a red hard top convertible BMW 430. It might be the most disappointing luxury car I've driven at National. Driving position was terrible, no matter how I adjusted the seat I felt like I was at a table where the seats are too low. No luggage space whatsoever and the fit and finish was marginal at best.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
This weekend I had a red hard top convertible BMW 430. It might be the most disappointing luxury car I've driven at National. Driving position was terrible, no matter how I adjusted the seat I felt like I was at a table where the seats are too low. No luggage space whatsoever and the fit and finish was marginal at best.
Thank you! I thought it was just me! I did a paid upgrade last winter to get one of these off of the Premium line, and while I can't say I hated it, I definitely would pick a convertible Mustang or Camaro over that one every time. The other thing I noticed was that despite relatively long doors, I always felt cramped and awkward getting in & out - even with the top down.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Interesting. I had one of these at RNO this year and I actually really liked it. I agree on the luggage space issue but I enjoyed the car and the drive and the comfort. I think the Infiniti Q60 coupe with 3.0T is a better car but I had no qualms with the BMW.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
All the coupes like the 430i, Q60, or MX-5 feel really low to the ground and you feel like your legs are on the floor if you're used to driving SUV's or Impalas. That's just the way the cars are designed in order to get the low swoopy roofline. The 430i does feel quite heavy in turns because of the weight of the hardtop mechanism. The Q60 feels a bit livelier but has the same low seating position.
SoroSuub1 and ginmqi like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:56 pm

Yup, sporty cars are designed to be low to the ground with the driver having a lower driving position for the style and for the performance aspect.

The Q60 hasn't had very good reviews and honestly I wasn't super impressed with the 430i either.

I did love the new Miata though, super fun to throw around.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Gold
If your speaking to me, yes, I hate the Infiniti line. Worst alleged luxury car ever driven. Very fast, mine was a G37X, and after buying a new one, my wife and I avoided it like the plague.
Infiniti seems to be hoping that people only notice how fast the car is and nothing else. The rattles are absolutely unacceptable for a "luxury" car. Also the design is just dumb. Three different dashboard brightness settings!? Really Infiniti? You needed to have three separate brightness settings and you can't just have just one of them control all the screens? Am I really expected to go through that many settings when I'm trying to adjust the screen brightness when I'm driving on a dark highway? Spending that much time with eyes off the road is not only unsafe, but also just idiotic design. Also, you'll see the fuel economy on three different screens but you can only reset it one of the screens (good luck figuring out which one as it's not the one you would expect). This is downright dangerous if you're figure out how to do this while you're driving. Something as simple as a trip odometer reset requires going through several unnecessary and complex hoops that no other car maker does. You guys keep your fast car. I'll find a better one from some other company.
m907 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Always avoid:
Nissan Rogue - I'm not particularly tall but I feel like my head is in the ceiling and I can't see out of it.

Chevy Malibu and Impala - nothing screams "rental car" quite like these cars.

Chevy Camaro - rented one for a drive from PHX to Flagstaff and thought it would be a fun car for that drive. The visibility is poor which I kind of expected. But the handling wasn't great either.

Favorite:
Nissan Maxima - nothing spectacular about this car other than it's comfortable and relatively quick.

Ford Flex - it looks like a mini hearse but it is surprisingly nice to drive.

Dodge Challenger - despite its poor visibility it is otherwise fun to drive.

Last edited by MEABFlyer; Aug 29, 2018 at 9:59 am
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:24 am

I recently got stuck with a Chevy Impala and it was not as bad as I remembered. It has decent power and it looks alright. But it misses the mark in so many areas. Front wheel drive only so there's lots of torque steer. Infotainment is clunky. Interior is subpar. It seems like such a missed opportunity.

if they made one RWD or AWD that would be a game changer. But it's just disappointing now.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:10 pm

Drove a Nissan Maxima SV recently, and I realized how much better it is than the Q50 even though they're mechanical twins. The infotainment system on the Maxima is a lot better than the Q50's poorly implemented dual stack design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.