Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: National Rental Car
Originally Posted by dabeags
I've had a CX5 GT 3 times in a row now and am liking it quite a bit if it is just going to be myself. Has radar cruise control and in sport mode it is quite fun to drive. I also think the interior feels like it is pretty premium. Still would choose a Jeep GC Limited over it every time, but the CX5 seems like it is becoming far more common that the GC.
This is exactly how I feel. I still like the JGC Limited (provided it has a sunroof) but the CX5 GT does have a premium feel to it.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:59 am

Rentals

Dislikes: Kia, Fords minivans and Prius.

I also dislike cars with odd colors, smell like smoke, smell like chemicals covering up smoke and baby diapers..

ironically I only own Japanese cars but don't rent them. Rental companies believe Asiam cars are premium and charge that way even as American cars are bigger.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:22 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by supermoto1
Dislikes: Kia, Fords minivans and Prius.

I also dislike cars with odd colors, smell like smoke, smell like chemicals covering up smoke and baby diapers..

ironically I only own Japanese cars but don't rent them. Rental companies believe Asiam cars are premium and charge that way even as American cars are bigger.
Ford hasn't made a minivan since about 2007; I don't think you'll be finding any Freestars in any National fleets these days.

Can't say I agree with your comment either. In fact, the opposite is true: the trend seems to be anything with a "luxury" badge gets an upcharge while better equipped domestic/Asian cars get put out on the Aisle/ES for no additional fee. I'd rather take a Ford Fusion Titanium, Toyota Avalon, or Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited than pay an upcharge for a stripped-out Mercedes CLA250 or BMW X3.
bocastephen, strickerj and m907 like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Ford hasn't made a minivan since about 2007; I don't think you'll be finding any Freestars in any National fleets these days.

Can't say I agree with your comment either. In fact, the opposite is true: the trend seems to be anything with a "luxury" badge gets an upcharge while better equipped domestic/Asian cars get put out on the Aisle/ES for no additional fee. I'd rather take a Ford Fusion Titanium, Toyota Avalon, or Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited than pay an upcharge for a stripped-out Mercedes CLA250 or BMW X3.
Agreed - while some of the Cadillacs and Lincolns have a decent share of nice equipment, they are still on par with a Fusion Titanium or GC Limited. I've found over the past few years, the nicer the car brand, the worse the equipment package and luxury feel. The Titanium Hybrid I drive 99% of the time has a better Sony sound system and nicer real leather seats than the Mercedes, BWM or Audi cars I tried - most of which have vinyl/plastic seats, and absolute base model equipment. I am so over these fancy cars, I just ignore them if they show up on the aisle while other customers are tripping over each other to get to the door first.

The only "luxury" car I've been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get my hands on is the 2018 Volvo XC60, and only because we are interested in buying the plug-in hybrid model and want to test the gas model to see how it rides and the interior space....so it's more of a test drive than anything else.
m907 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Fave:
Dodge Durango GT (fun car to drive with lots of room)
Ford Explorer Limited
Nissan Maxima
Lincoln MKX
Hyundai Tucson (really good in gas)
Chevy Impala
Infiniti QX70

Dislike:
GMC Acadia
Chevy Tahoe
Chevy Malibu
BMW 4 series (if I take more than a carry-on bag with me)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Nissan Pathfinder
Ford Escape
Hyundai Sonata
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Exec
Favorites:
-Suburban
-Expedition
-QX80
-Explorer
-Jeep Grand Cherokee

Agree with the sentiment that a loaded American car beats a stripped entry level European luxury car.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:00 am

How are the Korean SUVs (Small and midsize) and minivans? Would you take one for a long road trip?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814
How are the Korean SUVs (Small and midsize) and minivans? Would you take one for a long road trip?
In my experience they tend to be basic trim levels with cloth seats, no navigation, etc. But they are very capable and usually good on gas. Interestingly enough most of the Kia and Hyundai models are actually built in America.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:59 am

My favorite car lately has been the Ford EcoSport. Decent fuel economy, about 25 mpg average, factory nav, and a spectacular audio system. Hopefully the b&o play system will make it to the Ford Edge Titaniums next.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
My favorite car lately has been the Ford EcoSport. Decent fuel economy, about 25 mpg average, factory nav, and a spectacular audio system. Hopefully the b&o play system will make it to the Ford Edge Titaniums next.
I've been seeing them pop up in National lots lately. The interiors do seem nice but they are so tiny, I worry about safety. I haven't found any crash test ratings yet. And they are made in China so there's bound to be issues.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by m907
I've been seeing them pop up in National lots lately. The interiors do seem nice but they are so tiny, I worry about safety. I haven't found any crash test ratings yet. And they are made in China so there's bound to be issues.
What model(s) of Ford are made in China currently?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:20 am

I haven't observed any issues. Fit and finish seems fine.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by thedeeg

I believe the NA version of the EcoSport is built in India.

Ron.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by thedeeg

I was mistaken, newfbc was right, it's made in India. I was confusing it with the Buick Envision.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:02 am

I was mistaken, newfbc was right, it's made in India. I was confusing it with the Buick Envision.
I rented both the EcoSport and Envision from National. Thought fit & finish were great in both vehicles. No usual panel gaps compared to North American assembled vehicles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.