Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I loathe the Impala. I will drive anything else before taking one of those. Unfortunately FLL, which I frequent, just got a new delivery of a ton of brand new Impalas. Puke.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I loathe the Impala. I will drive anything else before taking one of those. Unfortunately FLL, which I frequent, just got a new delivery of a ton of brand new Impalas. Puke.

I actually have no issue with impalas as long as its the top trim. Premier which I currently have. Blind spot detection and Android auto makes it a good fall back option if that's what is there beside the Altima ( I would take a SL or a 3.5 SL), camerys ( though I do want to try the new one) and sonatas.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Least favorite cars: Sonata (steering feels disconnected to the wheels, zero effort required at any speed) and Altima (feels insubstantial)

Favorite rentals so far: Golf GTI, Miata with folding hardtop, Q50 3.0t, Explorer Sport, ATS

Favorite car usually on the aisle: Grand Cherokee Limited/Durango, Escape, V8 Camaro/Mustang/Charger

In general, the aisle has gotten less fun over the years. There used to be a lot more VW's and Mazdas,
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:02 am

Favorite practical car is a Chrysler 300C. It's comfortable, easy to use, and the fit/finish is nicer than most other common stuff you see on the aisle. The Nissan Maxima is a close 2nd for me.
Lease favorite is the Nissan Altima. The seat and headrest are easily make this the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven which is strange considering how popular it is.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by xienon
Least favorite cars: Sonata (steering feels disconnected to the wheels, zero effort required at any speed) and Altima (feels insubstantial)

Favorite rentals so far: Golf GTI, Miata with folding hardtop, Q50 3.0t, Explorer Sport, ATS

Favorite car usually on the aisle: Grand Cherokee Limited/Durango, Escape, V8 Camaro/Mustang/Charger

In general, the aisle has gotten less fun over the years. There used to be a lot more VW's and Mazdas,
I have always wanted to drive a Golf GTi. I so wish I had asked at LAS in april if I could have taken the one they had in the Alamo side. They could only have said no! Do National still buy them?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Looks like National should just keep pick up trucks off ES.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wadda
I have always wanted to drive a Golf GTi. I so wish I had asked at LAS in april if I could have taken the one they had in the Alamo side. They could only have said no! Do National still buy them?
Haven't seen them since I rented it in 2016. In fact, I've only ever seen it twice at National.

The car I wish i asked whether I could take but never asked is the Saab 9-3. That was the last time I ever saw a Saab at a rental agency.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Ford Fusions and Ford Escapes are great.

Mustang convertibles and BMW X3s are also amazing, yet rarer.
txviking likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Since I drive a 2013 Equinox LTZ at home, I always look for current model Equinoxes first, they're almost always silver with a black/grey interior, no leather but a rear camera and thus the better entertainment system. But they've been harder to find as National didn't seem to buy that many of the 2017s which I found interesting as it was the last year before the redesign. For a week-long rental, I'll ask a porter if there are any on the Alamo side they can bring over, regardless of the odometer reading. Last time I was in Raleigh, they had a 2018 Caddy CT5 version with 5 miles on the odometer on the Exec Aisle. That was about as close to my LTZ as I can get, although a bit smaller.

I need a lot of headroom, so most sports cars and convertibles are a non-starter for me. If I can't get an Equinox/Terrain, I'll try for a Grand Cherokee,or failing that move up to a Traverse. I don't like this generation of Ford SUV products.

The Ford Flex, however, is my favorite sedan/station wagon for long-distance interstate driving. It's like driving in a perfect recliner. Back in the day, maybe 10 years ago, some of the larger ES had the Volvo V70. That was a great car.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like the Hyundai Sonata. I find it very comfortable, no issues using my iPhone in their entertainment center and I like the gas mileage.

I really don't like the Nissan Altima. I consider it the example of generic rental car and I don't find it comfortable either.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
I assume Nissan Altimas are misplaced from the Emerald Aisle when I see them in the Executive Aisle.

Generally any higher end car will cause me to pick it - BMW, Audi, Infiniti (except the QX80 unless I really need the space), 300c, or Maxima.

I hate all of the Jeep SUVs because they are underpowered, archiac, and lack refinement. And ignore any of the minivans or pickups.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by flightrisk
I assume Nissan Altimas are misplaced from the Emerald Aisle when I see them in the Executive Aisle.

Generally any higher end car will cause me to pick it - BMW, Audi, Infiniti (except the QX80 unless I really need the space), 300c, or Maxima.

I hate all of the Jeep SUVs because they are underpowered, archiac, and lack refinement. And ignore any of the minivans or pickups.

The grand Cherokee underpowered? What you want a V8?

As far as altima goes it fits in the full size or higher category
kxc262, m907 and Gammur like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by aww3583

BMW 430Ci... Drove like a dream, but wildly impractical. With the top down, the trunk will not accept anything larger than a briefcase. Infuriating electronics... after turning the car off, if the doors are locked, you have to pull the door handle twice to open the door. Couldn’t maintain a Bluetooth connection.

My car, also German, does this so it wouldn't bother me and the BMWs I've owned in the past did as well. But it's an option. If you owned one, you could have it changed to unlock when the car is turned off. You also can set the MPH as which they lock themselves, all that good stuff.

My favorite recent car is definitely the Q50. I would love to get those more often. Love the recent Volvos, too.

Go-to is a Sonata just because it's easy, practical, good size, great MPG, and I've driven so many that I know them inside and out. Anything Volvo, even the XC will do since it really doesn't drive big and is super comfy.

Will never rent by choice... anything Chrysler, Camaro, Impala (even hate the new ones), any SUV or truck, anything Buick. Last Buick I had lasted one day before I dropped in the airport and traded that sucker in. I was on the first day of about a week-long trip with a ton of driving and just couldn't do it. I used to get Fusions a lot but their redesign of the info-tainment thing in recent years is such a pain. I get so tired of things being completely reliant on screens and taking effort to adjust while driving. I should be able to just turn the AC up or down or change the station with very minimal effort and distraction.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:51 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by aww3583
BMW 430Ci... Drove like a dream, but wildly impractical. With the top down, the trunk will not accept anything larger than a briefcase. Infuriating electronics... after turning the car off, if the doors are locked, you have to pull the door handle twice to open the door. Couldn’t maintain a Bluetooth connection.
After having one of these for a month, I found that the trunk is marginally larger than originally thought when the top is down. When you have the top down, there is an electronic button on the trunk lid that will raise the folded down top up and allow you to lift the plastic partition to place things underneath. With this, I was able to fit a couple of carry on sized bags underneath and still keep the top down.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Thumbs up

Favorite rental: Dodge Charger R/T
It had the V8 HEMI. I didn't realize that at first, having rented several V6 Chargers previously. But the V8 sound was unmistakeable. I drove this car from Seattle to Las Vegas (one way rental) and I had a lot of fun with that road trip.

I like big cars and big engines, but that is not the only reason I enjoyed this rental. Among others: A very good Apple CarPlay implementation; Comfortable ride; Well laid out dash; Plenty of luggage and passenger room (I didn't have passengers on this trip, but I had plenty of luggage); Few and small blind spots for a car this size. Finally, this may be inconsequential in a rental, but I think Dodge did a great job with the retro styling. The car simply looked good.

Bottom line, I had a great road trip and this rental car was a big part of the reason. I'm even pondering a Charger SRT for my next car, in no small part due to this rental.
jackal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.