Wiki Posts
Search

Additional driver with executive aisle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Additional driver with executive aisle

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to book a rental using the exec aisle. When I use the "add a driver" feature during checkout, it all works, and on my confirmation page and email it says "Proceed to the executive area to choose your vehicle". Although when I check the status of my booking through the website, it says "Proceed to counter". I'm using a corporate code (which I'm entitled to) that includes additional drivers for free. Is there anyway to get around the counter visit? For what it's worth, rentals in the past without an additional driver always just said "proceed to executive area".

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:02 pm

First, check whether you need to notify National beforehand for that driver at all, or if they're an automatic authorized driver. For example, with Hertz, if I'm on a corporate rental any other employee of the company is allowed to drive it. And for a personal rental under Hertz Gold, my spouse is an authorized driver, without having to designate her. In several states that's true for spouses by law for all rentals.

If not automatic, they you will likely have to go to the counter for the additional driver's license to be verified.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. This person is not a co-employee and doesn't live with me. I was just hoping to skip the counter by inputting all that information on their website. It's the same info they asked me and allowed me to bypass the counter from my first rental.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:14 pm

Anytime you have an additional driver, you need to visit someone to verify the additional driver information. I always get that I need to visit the counter, but always take care of it at check out. You will not be able to use Emerald Checkout on the app. Just use the aisle service as always and have the drivers license of the additional driver ready at check out.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:40 pm

I added an additional driver at the gate last time I needed to. Never went to to counter at all.
TXJeepGuy and Moneymill4569 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:23 pm

In my experience you just need the additional driver with you at the booth when you leave. It's easier if you add the driver online before you pick it up so the attendant can just check the license.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I’ve got similar questions. I’m having to rent two vehicles for myself and 7 staff members. Obviously at least one employee is going to have to drive, I was going to add two just in case.

Executive member due to AMEX platinum benefits. I’m incorporated, 100% owner, everyone else is an employee
I use the Chase Ink Business cc for the primary insurance benefit for me and qualified addl drivers.

i noticed only one reservation said Emerald Aisle. Does that mean for the second vehicle we can’t use the Emerald Aisle? Also, if we are for both can I just check out, identify the addl driver with me, and have the other addl driver check out behind me(maybe I’ll have to get out and go back to booth)?

will I have to pay for addl drivers as an executive member?

Lastly, I’ll be in Houston and will take the toll road. They have Fast Track. How does National treat this? Assume I can go through and be charged? Do they add big surcharges?

I really don’t want to have to go to the counter but maybe no choice?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:05 pm

The person the reservation is under (i.e. you) has to be driving when you go through the exit booth. Everything else, your authorized drivers can do. What I would do is grab a car, drive out with one of your authorized drivers, then after you're out of the lot have them take that car while you head back in and rent the second car.

Additional driver fees depends on the contract/account number you booked under. The default "Emerald Club Members" contract includes up to 9 additional drivers free. You can add them at the exit booth, but they have to be in the car with you and present their ID. I believe you can also go back later and add them at the counter, or you can just go to the counter and add them there to begin with.

​​​​​​​Tollpass is $3.95 for each day that you go through a toot booth, up to $19.75 max pre rental agreement. https://www.nationalcar.com/en/support/car-rental-faqs/use-toll-lanes/other-state-toll-options.html
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Additional drivers are free if your using the standard Emerald Club Contract.

What I personally did last month, was to have the second vehicle right behind me at the check-out booth. Explain to the agent that you are renting both vehicles and that you have already added the authorized drivers to the reservation. I was out the gate in 30 seconds, with a thank you from the agent for making her life easier by having filled out the authorized users beforehand.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Additional drivers are free if your using the standard Emerald Club Contract.

What I personally did last month, was to have the second vehicle right behind me at the check-out booth. Explain to the agent that you are renting both vehicles and that you have already added the authorized drivers to the reservation. I was out the gate in 30 seconds, with a thank you from the agent for making her life easier by having filled out the authorized users beforehand.
thanks so much. You mention filling out the authorized drivers info. Do you mean at the rental counter? Trying to get on the road ASAP so if there’s a way to do it online that’s what I’d like to do. I can’t see a way how, on app or online. Or, if no way online, is there a kiosk in the lot I can do that?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by missingcolours
The person the reservation is under (i.e. you) has to be driving when you go through the exit booth. Everything else, your authorized drivers can do. What I would do is grab a car, drive out with one of your authorized drivers, then after you're out of the lot have them take that car while you head back in and rent the second car.

Additional driver fees depends on the contract/account number you booked under. The default "Emerald Club Members" contract includes up to 9 additional drivers free. You can add them at the exit booth, but they have to be in the car with you and present their ID. I believe you can also go back later and add them at the counter, or you can just go to the counter and add them there to begin with.

Tollpass is $3.95 for each day that you go through a toot booth, up to $19.75 max pre rental agreement. https://www.nationalcar.com/en/suppo...l-options.html
thanks for this info. When I booked the second I could chose Emerald aisle as usual for car type. But the second reservation doesn’t seem to indicated Emerald aisle looking at it after the fact. Is this just how it looks. Are you saying book a new reservation or go forward using my existing one and grap a car, exiting and adding the driver there?

​​​​​​​thanks for toll info, last time we were here we scrambled for change, multiple times.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds

thanks so much. You mention filling out the authorized drivers info. Do you mean at the rental counter? Trying to get on the road ASAP so if there’s a way to do it online that’s what I’d like to do. I can’t see a way how, on app or online. Or, if no way online, is there a kiosk in the lot I can do that?
Use the old site to create the reservation. They haven't implemented it with-in the new site for some reason. The option to add additional drivers will appear on the final page before you confirm the reservation.

https://legacy.nationalcar.com/en_US...ntal/home.html
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Xu Guan
Anytime you have an additional driver, you need to visit someone to verify the additional driver information. I always get that I need to visit the counter, but always take care of it at check out. You will not be able to use Emerald Checkout on the app. Just use the aisle service as always and have the drivers license of the additional driver ready at check out.
Is this true even when the additional driver is an Emerald Club member themselves?

I added their drivers license number to my reservation and got the "upon arrival, go to counter" - but maybe I mistyped their license number, or shouldn't have typed the leading zeros, or something.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Is this true even when the additional driver is an Emerald Club member themselves?

I added their drivers license number to my reservation and got the "upon arrival, go to counter" - but maybe I mistyped their license number, or shouldn't have typed the leading zeros, or something.
Old thread but noticed it wasn't ever resolved. Have the same issue myself. My original reservation says proceed to Exec Aisle. Then I added additional driver online, and now the updated reservation says to go to counter. Everyone I asked says to just ignore that and select the car anyways from the Exec Aisle as before and go to exit gate and just show both IDs at that time.

I guess like someone said above you could just leave them off and add them manually at the exit gate too.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:45 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
What happens if the additional driver is not present? I will be flying to MCO and will be added as an additional driver, but the other person arrives earlier in the day and will pick up the car. We are both Executives and during the reservation process the website said we were allowed up to 9 additional drivers for free.

Can I just stop by the National counter at my departure airport and be added to the contract?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.