Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Executive Elite Renting at Non-Emerald Aisle Location

Old Nov 12, 17, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Member, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Emerald Club

Good Day All,

I知 an EE and typically rent at major airports. Next week I値l be renting at a non Emerald Aisle location, AZA (Phoenix Mesa). I知 used to just booking a midsize car and taking what I want at most locations. In this case, if I book a midsize car, is that what I知 likely to end up with?

Thanks,

PTEM
Old Nov 12, 17, 5:57 pm

Why book midsized? Book Full at least since it's the same price. As far as what you'll get it depends. I've only rented at neighborhood locations in terms of non aisle locations and it ranges from a full size to a suv. Got a camery up to a Hyandai suv (forgot the name)
Old Nov 12, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
I rent at a fair amount of non aisle locations and it varies by location but generally I find it to be worse than Aisle locations. I always book full size and generally wind up with either that, or a midsize standard SUV like a rogue or pathfinder.
Old Nov 13, 17, 8:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I had a recent experience at a small hub airport location, and they just let me pick whatever car they had... ended up with a decent Mercedes.
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:10 pm

I usually pick cars at CHO, which is a small airport. I'm just a executive. Depends on the different staff, I pick from premium to the best car they have.
BTW I usually book premium, there is no big difference in price between miz-size and full-size.
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:02 pm

It all depends on who is working at the time and what they have in stock. For the non-aisle location, the expectation is to get what you reserved, but being courteous goes a long way in getting an upgrade.

At some of the smaller locations, some of their cars have a lot of wear and tear to them and selection is limited.
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I book full and just swap at the airport assuming that痴 the location is not a franchise.
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
I book full and just swap at the airport assuming that痴 the location is not a franchise.
How to do that? Just bring the car back to airport return and ask for a swap?
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:19 pm

Phoenix Mesa (AZA) actually has a virtual aisle (download the app). https://www.emeraldaisle.com/locations It's a corporate location co-located with Alamo, and since Mesa is an Allegiant hub, they are actually a fairly decent size operation. Most of their business is Allegiant Alamo leisure renters.

I agree with the other posters, at least reserve a full size (since as an EE you'll pay mid-size), or a premium if you can afford it. It may look more expensive initially while booking, but the mid-size price will show for a full size reservation on the last reservation screen. If you reserve a premium, you'd pay the normal full size price.

Last time I rented there I got in ultra late, so couldn't use the virtual aisle, and got a PCAR on a PCAR reservation as an EE, which I had to wait for while they got it from Enterprise. Be prepared to leave with what you reserved if they're busy. Rentals earlier in the day there seem to have a better chance of scoring an upgrade, as well as rentals on a non-busy day for Allegiant. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday pickup would be your best chances.

Last edited by NCLSEA123; Nov 14, 17 at 11:38 pm
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pppfrank View Post
How to do that? Just bring the car back to airport return and ask for a swap?
Just drive to the returns section of National. Tell the return agent that you want to swap the car for something different. Most airport locations will give you a paper form to hand to the exit booth agent.

I do this very often since the airport fleet always tends to be in lower mileage with better vehicles too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: