Wiki Posts
Search

My rental car smells like weed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE
My rental car smells like weed

And not just a hint of weed. It smells like Tommy Chong had this thing for a week.

Picked up from National at BAN this week and didn't notice it when I got in, but when I hit the interstate and turned the AC on it was a like a flashback to the frat house in college.

Has this happened to anyone else and what should I do.

It's too much of a hassle to go back to the airport and change it out, but I swear I may fail a drug test after driving this thing for a few days.
iflymsy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
(1) Search the sh** out of that car. See if the previous renter left any of his stash behind. Under seats, console, glove box, etc. If you find anything, your call as to whether to dispose of it or spark up, but I doubt you want to be rollin' dirty any more than necessary.

(2) Don't get pulled over. Sounds like the smell is strong enough that the cop would be searching the car himself or calling for a canine unit. "It's the previous renter's weed" sounds like something Dewayne Bowe (or any of the other celebs/athletes who've been busted for weed) would say.
iflymsy and SouthernBanker like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:47 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I suppose it is easy for us keyboard warriors to be critical, but if the odor is that bad, how did you not notice when you picked up? Those odors are well embedded in the headliner, carpet, and upholstery. It shouldn't have taken the climate control turning on to notice it.

If you are not interested in doing a swap, it sounds like you have answered your own question. And, as the prior poster mentioned, by keeping it you do assume the risk for any paraphernalia or product left in the car as well, should you run into law enforcement.

If will say that if you do choose to exchange, I wouldn't expect any compensation or anything for it either. At this point you can't even prove it wasn't you who hotboxed the car.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernBanker
And not just a hint of weed. It smells like Tommy Chong had this thing for a week.

Picked up from National at BAN this week and didn't notice it when I got in, but when I hit the interstate and turned the AC on it was a like a flashback to the frat house in college.

Has this happened to anyone else and what should I do.

It's too much of a hassle to go back to the airport and change it out, but I swear I may fail a drug test after driving this thing for a few days.
Take it back to the airport. Last thing you want is to get pulled over.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Take it back to the airport. Last thing you want is to get pulled over.
Yeah. Literally unless you're dying and need to use the car to get to a hospital, there's no way I'd keep it as soon as I discovered that smell.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:14 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Assuming that you meant BNA Airport (Nashville). If so, take it back to the airport, ask for Carla, and explain the situation. She is a very nice and very understanding person and will get you taken care of.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE
Changed out the cabin air filter and solved the problem. I would rather spend the $12 out of pocket than the hassle of changing it out. Autozone a borrowed took kit from the maintenance guy at the hotel, 10 min of my time and we were good to go.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernBanker
Changed out the cabin air filter and solved the problem. I would rather spend the $12 out of pocket than the hassle of changing it out. Autozone a borrowed took kit from the maintenance guy at the hotel, 10 min of my time and we were good to go.

What hassle? Takes about 10 minutes to do it....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Yeah agreed with poster above. Never had any issues swapping out. Always in and out in 10 mins or less.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Just an FYI (too late now) but performing any sort of maintenance to a rented vehicle is a violation of the Master Rental Agreement.
ginmqi and SouthernBanker like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
California air freshener? Maybe a transferred car?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Just an FYI (too late now) but performing any sort of maintenance to a rented vehicle is a violation of the Master Rental Agreement.
Very good point.

I looked up the Master Rental Agreement and you're right.

Any sort of repair to the vehicle cannot be done without the permission of National:

6. Damage to, Loss or Theft of, Vehicle, Optional Accessories and Related Costs.

Except to the extent restricted, modified or limited by state or provincial law, Renter accepts responsibility for damage to, loss or theft of, Vehicle, Optional Accessories or any part or accessory occurring during the Rental Period regardless of fault or negligence of Renter or any other person or act of God.

Renter shall pay Owner the amount necessary to repair Vehicle or Optional Accessories.

Renter shall not have Vehicle or Optional Accessories repaired without permission from Owner.
The more you know.

Good clause as if someone were to put in shoddy/shade-tree mechanic work on a rental, and the next renter gets injured/accident due to the poor repair job, it will be a huge liability.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OP swapped out a cabin filter. Not like he installed a nitrous kit or something...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
OP swapped out a cabin filter. Not like he installed a nitrous kit or something...
Obviously it's a small maintenance item that likely would not affect the safety/functionality of the vehicle.

But still, I would rather go exchange the car rather than having to do the MORE hassle-filled event of going to an auto parts store, paying out of pocket for a part, get it installed, and all the while violating the MRA.

Of course, it is an open secret that the MRA is violated ALL the time. I'm in Honolulu currently, and when I was on the Big Island virtually all the cars on the Mauna Kea summit off-road are was completely filled with rental SUVs and Jeeps.

So most likely not a big deal at all. But just that if I were in this situation, I'd definitely want to exchange a car that smelled strongly of an illicit substance (thereby also risking traffic stop and potential huge legal issues) as soon as I discover it....UNLESS there is emergent reason for me to keep using that car in that condition.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:49 pm

Well, true, I would have car-swapped before trying to figure out the filter situation. In fact, I wouldn't have even thought of that. (I'm not a car guy.)

I'm still wondering if the OP found any bud somewhere in the car?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.