Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National Executive Elite Hype??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Agree, it just plain respect and general attitude you have toward the staff. Hell, I hadn't been at LGA for a couple months and I was personally approached by 2 staff member (a hug by one) and the manager. I frequent the location and have always been nice and polite to them and they have always taken care of me, almost 100% without my asking.

I would never pull a DYKWIA and show the app showing my 25+ National rentals or 25+ Hertz rentals already for the year. That's just distasteful, and if I were a staff member, I probably wouldn't upgrade you unless you were genuinely a nice individual as well.

Back to the hype topic. No hype. As mentioned, no real benefit other than faster free days and the capability to have a car delivered to a private airport. Big benefit in my eyes is using the Free Days on any vehicle. When on vacation and using free day certificates, I typically book a luxury SUV and that pretty much gives me pick of the lot wherever I am.

Plus one. I frequent LGA as well and gotten to know a few of them and they are way nicer than the people at JFK with the exception of a few people there. Depends on the people at LGA as well but I have driven out in a Q50 on a lux res there without a fee. As far as nyc goes I find they are more stringent on giving people upgrades but I have gotten good deals on the upgrade.

I've gotten a MB C300 on a lux res, Volvo S60 and a S90 even ( premium elite which is the S90 is classified as). The S90 is even nicely equipped with a few options which I'm going to do a ride report on.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I'm genuinely curious, why would you be showing them your rental history constantly? Kind of seems a bit "dykwia" ish.

All of my upgrades have been from showing politeness and respect. If I need something a certain size, I'll just ask if they have anything and if not I'll make do. I've been rewarded, even if they have to pull from Enterprise side where a manager once told me they hide some goodies there.
No, I never come in with a "dykwia" attitude. I show them, just to establish credibility that I am a big fan.

I am always polite and respectful... I've been on the other side as a bartender and front desk agent in high end properties.

I don't ask for the impossible yesterday, but have been well treated always.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by LPCJr
So how does this work? ORD is an aisle, when I get there I go to the aisle. I've never gotten any special treatment. In other words, how would an Exec Elite upon arrival know that there was a car reserved for them? There's no Hertz board.
I make it a point to meet the station managers and point out employees who have delivered great service. These are locations where I am a frequent renter. This usually yields a card and an email address and an offer of: "Let me know when you are coming back next."

National does not have the Hertz type board, but does have VIP sections in the aisle.

I give honest feedback which managers seem to appreciate.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
I fully agree that politeness and respect can go a long way.

But in many cases you just can't talk your way into a more luxurious/exclusive product no matter how nice you are because business is business. (And obviously there are exceptions....)

Again not to take away from you and I do think it's VERY important to always be nice and respectful.

For him who is a very loyal and business-generating customer for National, it may seem a bit pretentious to show his history but it helps his case to get a nicer car as long as he does it nicely, lol.
Showing the history sometimes works, but also I am not always looking for a freebee. When I want a specific car, I also offer to pay happily for an upgrade. Then the usual reply is if they can do it under their rules its free or I will pay. That offer always was respected, when in the cases where I would pay, they did their best to offer the best car or deal.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
Showing the history sometimes works, but also I am not always looking for a freebee. When I want a specific car, I also offer to pay happily for an upgrade. Then the usual reply is if they can do it under their rules its free or I will pay. That offer always was respected, when in the cases where I would pay, they did their best to offer the best car or deal.
^

I have similar sentiments. I'm going to accrue alot of rental days after my work assignment here in HNL is done so I'll also look forward to some nice upgrades if possible, but just as you said I'm not gonna be DYKWIA about it and I'll happily pay for any upgrades and of course if I really wanted a specific car I'll go ahead and reserve that ahead of time!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:29 pm

It doesn't live up to the hype. If you frequent a location and they know you, you get treated better. Just like anywhere else. Many times there is nothing but junk in the aisles. If you go to a place often enough you know which days are better and which are miserable (ironically miserable days where the aisles are empty are actually better, because they are often willing to pull up something for you. Whereas if the aisle is full of full-sized sedans and pickup trucks you are out of luck).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
It doesn't live up to the hype. If you frequent a location and they know you, you get treated better. Just like anywhere else. Many times there is nothing but junk in the aisles. If you go to a place often enough you know which days are better and which are miserable (ironically miserable days where the aisles are empty are actually better, because they are often willing to pull up something for you. Whereas if the aisle is full of full-sized sedans and pickup trucks you are out of luck).
I think the part about frequenting the location and potentially getting better treatment is true but it is also true that some National locations treat their customers very well (and some are just average). However I have found in my experience that most National (corporate) stations (i.e. big airports) treat you well.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by neo_781
I think the part about frequenting the location and potentially getting better treatment is true but it is also true that some National locations treat their customers very well (and some are just average). However I have found in my experience that most National (corporate) stations (i.e. big airports) treat you well.
This. Also, ask. And be courteous.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:53 pm

I've definitely gotten away with some "upgrades" that I got because of my status. One time I picked a Suburban out of the Indulge section because it was parked right next to the Executive aisle. An honest mistake. The person at the checkout was going to charge me extra. A manager was nearby and he said "he's exec elite, let him have it"
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I have a hard time believing that you consistently get low mileage luxury cars for the price of a Corolla from Hertz as a PC member. The whole reason I left Hertz was their stinginess with PC members, rarely even giving out the "Guaranteed" one class car upgrades. And a lot of high mileage worn down garbage. That was several years ago and maybe things have changed for the better with their new choice program, but I don't miss them.

Once in a while I do rent from Hertz, when I don't think the price premium National charges is worth it (and this seems to be happening more and more). And I'm usually reminded why I left.

Finally, there is no "Hype" to EE. It barely has any benefit over Exec. Slightly easier to earn a free day, free days are good for almost any car class, and guaranteed availability.

I find the customer service to be better overall with National as well.
bedeve and DJ_Iceman like this.

Last edited by SNA_Flyer; Mar 14, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer

I find the customer service to be better overall with National as well.
this is the biggest one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.