Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National vs Hertz vs Avis recent comparison

Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I'm a National Exec member, recently Exec Elite but looking at comparing the loyalty program to Hertz and Avis. I was Exec Elite on National up until recently but noticed I can still get a car from the Exec Elite aisle and check out with no issue so it appears the main benefit of EE status is free rental after 5 credits, as opposed to free rental after 6 credits for plain Exec status.

I had 4500 Hertz points balance and recently cashed them in for a nearly free 4-day rental and got a Chrysler 300 which was great so it has me thinking if I should take a look at the 3 major rental car companies and take a fresh look at their loyalty programs.

I have no complaints with National but I don't like how i only get '1' credit for a multi-day rental. Whereas Hertz assigns points based on number of days renting.

Do any of you have any recent comparisons of the big 3 and pros/cons? Much appreciated
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:41 pm

I have a membership with all the major ones since why not since they are free.

National: Executive Elite
Avis: preferred plus

All others basic membership.

I do 98% national, 1% Avis and 1% other for my rental needs and I can compare Avis to national and I prefer nationals over Avis IMHO. Generally I find the cars better with National and the rates are most of the time better for the same class car. Avis promotes you can get a free day with 700 points but where I regularly rent from its not possible. Used like 2100 points for one day.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I'm a National Exec member, recently Exec Elite but looking at comparing the loyalty program to Hertz and Avis. I was Exec Elite on National up until recently but noticed I can still get a car from the Exec Elite aisle and check out with no issue so it appears the main benefit of EE status is free rental after 5 credits, as opposed to free rental after 6 credits for plain Exec status.

I had 4500 Hertz points balance and recently cashed them in for a nearly free 4-day rental and got a Chrysler 300 which was great so it has me thinking if I should take a look at the 3 major rental car companies and take a fresh look at their loyalty programs.

I have no complaints with National but I don't like how i only get '1' credit for a multi-day rental. Whereas Hertz assigns points based on number of days renting.

Do any of you have any recent comparisons of the big 3 and pros/cons? Much appreciated
There is no Executive Elite aisle. There's Emerald Aisle and Executive Aisle. Being Executive you can choose a car from either.

Ron.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
There is no Executive Elite aisle. There's Emerald Aisle and Executive Aisle. Being Executive you can choose a car from either.

Ron.
Well my membership level dropped one level and I could still grab a car from the Executive Aisle and have done this many times since. No one at check out has ever said anything about it. So the only difference I see in membership level with National is the number of credits needed to get a free day went from 5 days to 6 days but I can still choose any car from the Exec Aisle.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Well my membership level dropped one level and I could still grab a car from the Executive Aisle and have done this many times since. No one at check out has ever said anything about it. So the only difference I see in membership level with National is the number of credits needed to get a free day went from 5 days to 6 days but I can still choose any car from the Exec Aisle.
The aisle choice of cars is no different for EE and Exec. So, yes, you are still able to pick the same cars.

Another difference is the ability to use a free day for pretty much any reservable car. Not sure if you can use a free day and get a free upgrade to something from the premiere selection.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:49 am

2 things:

1) Hertz does not reward number of days. They award points per $ spent. If your company has low negotiated rates, it will take you a LONG time to get enough points for a free anything. National rewards by number of days, 1 credit each for rentals within various buckets.

2) Point redemption is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Any of National's free days can be used for expensive one-ways. Hertz points for one-ways are typically double the thresholds for roundtrip. Avis points can theoretically be used for one-ways, but with no published standards.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I rent with Avis as they are a corp partner. Avis rewards points based on dollar spent. Even with PC where I earn 50% more points, I believe I have earned about 5-10 free days, depending on which car class I book.

National works well for those who have short rentals as you earn 1 credit for every 4 days. The free days also do not have any restriction usually as EE, making them much more valuable. Stack that with 1-2 free and you can earn a lot of free days.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
The aisle choice of cars is no different for EE and Exec. So, yes, you are still able to pick the same cars.

Another difference is the ability to use a free day for pretty much any reservable car. Not sure if you can use a free day and get a free upgrade to something from the premiere selection.
Actually this is not true. There are 2 separate sections (at least at all the locations I've rented from). However I doubt that the checkout booth would say anything if you choose from the Executive Aisle while only being an Emerald Member. (In fact the booth agent probably wouldn't even know which aisle the car came from so they couldn't even challenge you).

In my experience the Executive Aisle usually has slightly better cars than the Emerald aisle but in fast moving locations at peak times where they can't stock either aisles fast enough this isn't always the case.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond

Here are some things you may want to consider ....

I think you need to look at how fast you earn enough points at Hertz versus 1 rental credit at National. Just because you earn more points for longer rentals doesn't mean you ultimately earn more free rental days.

Additionally, one major decision point for me is that National rental cars allow you to reserve Premium (or is it luxury - I forget) cars with their free day although some locations are starting to block this ability. With Hertz I believe its more points for a higher car class.

Also I find with National I generally have the ability to select a nicer car than what Hertz assigns. This applies when using points or paying cash.

Finally, don't forget the 1-2-FREE (which is starting up again soon).

A plus on the Hertz side is that the points don't expire (may require some activity) whereas the National credits expire on 12/31 the year after they are earned and the 1-2-FREE credits have a shorter shelf life (I think around June, 2018).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by neo_781
Actually this is not true. There are 2 separate sections (at least at all the locations I've rented from). However I doubt that the checkout booth would say anything if you choose from the Executive Aisle while only being an Emerald Member. (In fact the booth agent probably wouldn't even know which aisle the car came from so they couldn't even challenge you).

In my experience the Executive Aisle usually has slightly better cars than the Emerald aisle but in fast moving locations at peak times where they can't stock either aisles fast enough this isn't always the case.

Being just an emerald member is different than being exec which is minimally different than being EE. Exec and EE get to choose from the same areas. Plain emerald members do not get to choose from ES, but may be able to pick from the EA depending on the reservation.
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights folks. I just checked my National free rental day balance and noticed 2 days expire end of this December, I was not aware of that.

I do notice that the Exec Elite aisle of cars are usually slightly better than the normal Exec aisle. In many places that can mean a Chrysler 300S or if you are into it, a F-150 or Dodge Ram pickup. I also see the occasional Dodge Challenger in the EE aisle or Camaro/Mustang.

I think I will stick with National for now and I just enrolled in the 1-2 Free promo so that will be nice as well. Usually, I don't like expiration dates but I have had excellent service from National so no reason to change at this point.

Originally, about 2-3 years ago I moved off of Avis because they were so far behind on their loyalty program and ability to integrate earning points. I think they have caught up now but I'll stick with National until there is some compelling service or loyalty program reason to change.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the insights folks. I just checked my National free rental day balance and noticed 2 days expire end of this December, I was not aware of that.

I do notice that the Exec Elite aisle of cars are usually slightly better than the normal Exec aisle. In many places that can mean a Chrysler 300S or if you are into it, a F-150 or Dodge Ram pickup. I also see the occasional Dodge Challenger in the EE aisle or Camaro/Mustang.

I think I will stick with National for now and I just enrolled in the 1-2 Free promo so that will be nice as well. Usually, I don't like expiration dates but I have had excellent service from National so no reason to change at this point.

Originally, about 2-3 years ago I moved off of Avis because they were so far behind on their loyalty program and ability to integrate earning points. I think they have caught up now but I'll stick with National until there is some compelling service or loyalty program reason to change.

Meh avis is generally more expensive than national in terms of rates and the points are crap for me. Takes around 1,000 points for a free day on a full size and I'm preferred plus. Plus haven't got am upgrade as a plus vs regular which I actually got upgraded all the time lol.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

National customer service is consistently better than hertz.
Did an experiment last weekend at SMF- both hertz pc and ea aisles had generic sedans (spouse booked h as pc I booked n as exec). Hertz: that's all we have. National: let me find an SUV for you.
It was very appreciated on a weekend out with kids... Same in OGG a few weeks earlier.
ptownca likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Originally Posted by neo_781
Here are some things you may want to consider ....
Additionally, one major decision point for me is that National rental cars allow you to reserve Premium (or is it luxury - I forget) cars with their free day although some locations are starting to block this ability. With Hertz I believe its more points for a higher car class.
You cannot reserve anything with a free credit (have executive elite). It does depend on location. But you can get premium suv and stuff like that.
Most places wouldn't know you are executive elite vs executive, and don't treat you any differently. If you are a regular at a place they may, but they know you anyway and would treat you better regardless.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by azepine00
National customer service is consistently better than hertz.
Did an experiment last weekend at SMF- both hertz pc and ea aisles had generic sedans (spouse booked h as pc I booked n as exec). Hertz: that's all we have. National: let me find an SUV for you.
It was very appreciated on a weekend out with kids... Same in OGG a few weeks earlier.
Then Hertz must have some damn awful customer service.

Had to contact National because my rewards preference (Enterprise) did not yield Enterprise points. Not only did they refuse to help, the CS rep (and his manager) constantly talked over me to give information that didn't even apply to the situation. Unsurprisingly Enterprise was not able to fix it either. Must be the corporate culture over there at the parent company. I use Avis almost exclusively now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.