Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National wouldn't let me use my credit card. What?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I were at DAL last week, where we picked up our Emerald Executive Aisue car. We proceeded to the checkout and I handed my CC and was told it couldn't be used.

My wife was the name on the reservation because I can't drive due to a physical disability. But I reserved using my CC and have - for years - used my CC to pay upon checkout.

I was a bit peeved I couldn't use my Sapphire Reserved for the points and had to use a non point-earning AmEx as it was the only card in my wife's name on her.

Is this a new policy or just a bad employee? Anyway around this crazy policy?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Simply change the payment method upon return. You will be able to use your card.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
National's T&C say: The credit card must be presented with available credit, in the renter's name. If you still have a valid license then you could be the renter with your wife as a second driver but, as far as I know, this is an old policy.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
National's T&C say: The credit card must be presented with available credit, in the renter's name. If you still have a valid license then you could be the renter with your wife as a second driver but, as far as I know, this is an old policy.

Yes but he can't drive. Tbh I would put your name on the res which would make life easier. Under your circumstances I think it's allowed.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Yes but he can't drive. Tbh I would put your name on the res which would make life easier. Under your circumstances I think it's allowed.
But can he have his name on the reservation without a driver's license? He should certainly be able to pay at the end with the card of his choice but would forfeit the insurance during the rental (if that is significant) by using a different card at the start.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
But can he have his name on the reservation without a driver's license? He should certainly be able to pay at the end with the card of his choice but would forfeit the insurance during the rental (if that is significant) by using a different card at the start.

If I remember the terms if he is disabled he can have the res in his or her name and have a driver in this case his wife.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:50 pm

Surrogate Drivers

Customers with disabilities who do not have a driver's license can still rent with National when accompanied by a surrogate driver who presents a valid driver's license. Minimum age restrictions and other normal rental qualifications apply, but there is no additional charge for the surrogate driver and the surrogate driver need not produce a credit card or otherwise be required to meet our financial underwriting requirements.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:57 pm

That seems to be the definitive answer!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer

Surrogate Drivers

Customers with disabilities who do not have a driver's license can still rent with National when accompanied by a surrogate driver who presents a valid driver's license. Minimum age restrictions and other normal rental qualifications apply, but there is no additional charge for the surrogate driver and the surrogate driver need not produce a credit card or otherwise be required to meet our financial underwriting requirements.
Oh wow this is a great find. Thank you everyone!

I've never had this issue before. I'll log in and update my profile to have my name as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.