Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using EC for Enterprise?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Using EC for Enterprise?

I rent a couple times a month from enterprise local for single weekend days. This has been going on for the past couple of months and should continue for the foreseeable future. All 1 day max 2 day rentals. I have 5 rentals thus far and my 6th reserved for a couple of weeks from now which should net me Silver in Enterprise+, and putting me on track to gold. With that said, not much value I can gather in the program and have not seen any visible benefits vs avg Joe one time renter.

I just got the new Sapphire Reserve, which has Executive status with it for National. I can book Enterprise with my National number. I cannot find any info on if that status means anything at Enterprise, though I doubt it does.

Any comments or thoughts on which program I should keep accruing these rentals under is most appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
I use my Emerald Club membership when I rent from Enterprise -- so far, the main benefit I'm aware of has been that the rentals count towards National Exec status and rental credits for free days (also at National).

The Enterprise agents are able to see the EC membership, but it doesn't provide any sort of benefit at the counter. I got upgraded once (ICAR to FCAR) reportedly because of the EC membership (the agent said he was going to be short of ICARs anyway, so he'd upgrade me because I was an Emerald Club member), but that was a one-off experience.

Since I rent from National more than Enterprise, and because I don't have a credit card that automatically gives me Exec status (so I have to re-qualify every year) it makes sense for me to consolidate my Enterprise rentals under National's loyalty program.

I'm not very familiar with Enterprise's loyalty program, but if that's where you rent the most from, it may make sense to earn points there so you can redeem them for free days at Enterprise.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: National EE
With Enterprise Plus you can get points and use them for free rental days. If I remember correctly it was 550 points for a free rental day.Also with Silver and Gold status you collect more points for each paid rental plus you get "free upgrade" certificates.

If you mostly rent from Enterprise I'd collect points with Enterprise Plus. However, considering your new Executive status at National if you can divide your rentals between National and Enterprise I'd collect points with National which has newer cars and better upgrades than Enterprise.

EDIT: I just saw Enterprise's $9.99 promotion (100 miles a day for Compact and Economy cars for weeknds) started from August 19 for US and Puerto Rico. It's perfect for weekend renters like OP.

Last edited by matrixca7; Aug 29, 2016 at 5:05 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by matrixca7
With Enterprise Plus you can get points and use them for free rental days. If I remember correctly it was 550 points for a free rental day.Also with Silver and Gold status you collect more points for each paid rental plus you get "free upgrade" certificates.

If you mostly rent from Enterprise I'd collect points with Enterprise Plus. However, considering your new Executive status at National if you can divide your rentals between National and Enterprise I'd collect points with National which has newer cars and better upgrades than Enterprise.

EDIT: I just saw Enterprise's $9.99 promotion (100 miles a day for Compact and Economy cars for weeknds) started from August 19 for US and Puerto Rico. It's perfect for weekend renters like OP.
That $9.99 promotion from Enterprise is only valid at participating locations. New York City locations (at least Manhattan) are not honoring the scheme. Not sure about the airports....
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:30 am

Prefer National in that it is easier to rack up points and redeem via EC than Enterprise, but that is just my observations. For instance Enterprise does not have a "One-Two-Free" promotion like National.

Since National has so few locations left in Manhattan, NYC while Enterprise is all over tend to use them for one day rentals. Vastly prefer National however for overall quality and selection of vehicles.

Also National (at least in my experience) is far more generous with free upgrades than Enterprise. If my local National places are short of vehicles and thus don't have the class you reserved, anything is on the table. Have been offered anything from a full sized SUV to "luxury" vehicle on a ICAR or even compact reservation because that was simply all they had in the garage.

So far it seems Enterprise does not give up nothing. Having reserved an ICAR on a few occasions and the place being short of vehicles was only offered something smaller for the same (or less) price. When pointed out several vehicles sitting but were from classes above ICAR, the response was "I can't give you that for the same rate..."

It does also seem to me Enterprise will play games with the rate. Things like the rate quoted online isn't the same as when the contract is printed out at time of pick-up. This or when you bring the vehicle back and during check-out the rate jumps to something different. This happened to me a few times but was able to pull the printed out copy of original reservation so that was that.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like the rewards on enterprise rentals carry more value at National even though the status at National means nothing at Enterprise. Here in SAN Enterprise is very stingy and act as of it would be the end of the world if they upgraded a repeat customer even one class. I watched them downgrade somebody from an f to an I last time I was in there when there were several Chrysler 300bases sitting there. They insisted on an up charge to p despite not having his requested car. Seems to be the norm at Enterprise
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by harleyn
Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like the rewards on enterprise rentals carry more value at National even though the status at National means nothing at Enterprise. Here in SAN Enterprise is very stingy and act as of it would be the end of the world if they upgraded a repeat customer even one class. I watched them downgrade somebody from an f to an I last time I was in there when there were several Chrysler 300bases sitting there. They insisted on an up charge to p despite not having his requested car. Seems to be the norm at Enterprise
I just got upgraded from full size to standard SUV while renting at Enterprise last week and I'm a National Executive Elite. Sometimes it pays to be nice to the agent and over 6'4". Typically my company only reserves compacts at Enterprise, so since the agents feel bad for me, I get an upgrade at Enterprise around 70% of the time for free.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by matrixca7

That promo has been run before and I could never get it for me at any NYC location...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer
That promo has been run before and I could never get it for me at any NYC location...
I've searched several dates and the promo never was able to be applied in any of the local SAN Enterprise Locations.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by harleyn
I've searched several dates and the promo never was able to be applied in any of the local SAN Enterprise Locations.
Yeah...it Sucks. I generally stick with National because I am an Executive with them and prices are usually cheaper even when they share he same location at non airport locations. I would use enterprise if they offered this in my city . Don't get why not even one offers it
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I also use the EC number just to accrue credit. I will never switch to Enterprise as my primary program unless they introduce a profile preference that says, "Just shut the heck up and give me my car already. I didn't come here to chit chat. This is taking forever."
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I also use the EC number just to accrue credit. I will never switch to Enterprise as my primary program unless they introduce a profile preference that says, "Just shut the heck up and give me my car already. I didn't come here to chit chat. This is taking forever."
What gets me is after being asked several times upon return "how was your rental???) Enterprise still sends an email survey.

Believe in customer feedback as much as the next person, but how much do they need?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Am convinced it is a policy for Enterprise and its owned companies such as National to void all special promotions for certain urban areas.

OTF coupons are not good in Manhattan, but you can use them at local airports. Various free weekend or whatever promotions also from National are not good in NYC.

As previously mentioned the $9.99 weekend special from Enterprise isn't good for NYC either.

Suppose we should be grateful National changed policy several years ago and began allowing EC free days to be redeemed on NYC non airport rentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.