Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

AMEX Plat for National Car renting price difference

Old Aug 19, 16, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Hello guys,

I am planning on renting a vehicle for 26 days and trying to find the best deal. I did a comparison on National Car Rental to see if I will save money and get the best vehicle option. The results were shocking. As non-member of National Car rental they are charging me roughly 650 dollars but when I applied my Amex Plat contract ID the cost went up to 720 dollars. I thought as a member of Amex Plat the benefits suppose to be saving up to 20% off rental not increasing the price. Any ideas? I have attached a picture for you to see.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 19, 16, 11:24 am

it varies by location and times. sometimes a contract ID will be better sometimes it wont. You have to play around with them.

You should be able to find a free day code since you are keeping the car over night Sat and over 3 days. that should help a bit.
Old Aug 20, 16, 11:36 pm

Yeah, the true % off base price contracts are getting harder and harder to find. Most that I've seen that truly fall in that category are 5-10%, with an occasional 15% that might not work at all locations.

Just for kicks though, I'd plug the AMEX Platinum contract ID into the reservations section of a third party car reservations website, just to make sure that National's website isn't having some sort of pricing issue.
Old Aug 21, 16, 7:00 am

for 25 days:
1. try cheaper areas (e.g. Hotwire points Ontario ONT right now)
2. Enterprise may be cheaper (what's the 10-15% off code, guys?)
3. throw into Autoslash.com

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Aug 21, 16 at 7:27 am
Old Aug 21, 16, 10:10 am

Programs: National EE
Also try Costco Travel. Their rates often beats other sites like Expedia.
Old Aug 21, 16, 11:02 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by matrixca7 View Post
Costco Travel doesn't let you reserve w/ National. Enterprise and Alamo, yes, but not National.
Old Aug 21, 16, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by matrixca7 View Post
if u do see attractive price on Costco site, then use their codes to reserve directly on rental company site. Two reasons:
1. cheaper
2. no middleman, so u r treated better during pick-up
Old Aug 21, 16, 10:04 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Yeah, the Plat "rate" is a freakin joke...it is almost always more that the straight online rate. Never have I gotten a cheaper rate using the Plat contract.

The fact that that rate is MORE than Joe Schmo renting off the street is what gets me....some "benefit"!
Old Aug 22, 16, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for their input, initially I want to rent at LAX but it is more expensive with all the airport fees. I guess I will have to shop around but if anybody have any information please let me know.
Old Aug 23, 16, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Emerald contract

I found the basic emerald contract works the best.

Old Aug 23, 16, 7:13 pm
JCN

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Emerald Executive
Does the Amex Plat contract come with any 'extras' like insurance? I noticed that my corporate rate is always higher but it includes insurance.
Old Aug 24, 16, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012 View Post
Costco Travel doesn't let you reserve w/ National. Enterprise and Alamo, yes, but not National.
I could of swore it does... I ended up booking directly with National anyways since I am an Executive but I was shopping around and could of swore I saw National part of it back in Feb 2016. Ended up booking LCAR for the week for $250 on National because it was just to good to give up. Ended up with a Mercedes C300 and <3 it lol

Search this Thread
Search Engine: