Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SuperPickyNationalExecElite
I usually just lurk on these national forums, but felt compelled to create and account and ask a question:

I have noticed quite a variance in aisle availability/stocking depending on station and time of day. Some stations do well at night with availability and selection, and others do horrible. At the beginning of my switchover to National I chalked it up to flight banks and airport congestion. For hinstance, I figured that NYC would see an influx of rentals at the early AM due to redeyes arriving, and a different window for west coast. But I have unfortunately been discovering that in reality there is not a method to depletion, or an optimal window to arrive, with the exceptions of MCO and CLT...

That being said, has anybody noticed midnight availability and selection at SEA? I haven't had to arrive at midnight in SEA before, and I am seeing a lot of vans and SUVs posted as being in the aisle most recently... I hate them both! What should I expect to see on the aisle on a Thursday night past 1130pm? I am staying hopeful for a good selection since the app is showing the SSAR for cheap, and the Ghibli available to confirm.

I always grab an SSAR or prem.

Also, how friendly are they to requests to check the storage lots and how frequently have you been able to get requests fulfilled?

On a side note, in CLT last week I was offered Audi/BMW/Infiniti SUVs as EE, as well as Range Evoque and some other prems for free... went with Challenger R/T with 5 miles on it. Haven't seen any RTs until recently, and didn't think national would get them. Same with MLB last month, was offered a new 17 Camaro SS convertible all black at no fee (used to be prem). Is anyone else Exec/EE experiencing these awesome comps lately? Is national REALLY REALLY trying to make us happy or something?
Have noticed premium cars being given with no upcharge or hassle a lot lately for EE. Hope it continues. Flying into CLT Sunday so I hope I can get a BMW
​​​​​/Audi
Old May 30, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, AA ConciergeKey (Former US Chairmans...), Lufthansa HON Circle, JAL JGC Diamond
Just an update to my SEA question...

upon my connection in DFW that evening, all of AA went into the toilet for the Northwest, so I ended up taking PDX confirmed with upgrade over SEA standby. Called Natl (app failed) and they changed to PDX no issue, and $2-3 cheaper per day. I was shocked to see a light aisle in PDX in the dead of night (my mind says down time should allow aisle restocking and pulling from the back lots, but this usually is not the case), and I spoke to the agent who greeted me and asked about pulling another car/what they had. He asked if EE, I said yes, he initially offered me a 4-series if they had it "just come back and see me if the aisle is no good"... walked the aisle to appear like I am making an attempt, and hadn't already identified all of the crap (ICARs FCARs and SUVs/Trucks) from a distance. I returned humbly and asked very kindly for him to grab the 4 for me, but then he said "oh we don't have any, just wanted you to know if we did, I'd give it to you..." I was disappointed, but maybe I just misheard his initial statement. We made conversation, and I left with yet another V6 Challenger (and the ONLY SSAR on the lot )... don't get me wrong, I love a Challenger and the way it looks, but I have gotten SO many lately that I may soon auto exclude them like I now do the Mustang (I am so tired of even seeing them on the lots!). What made it even more unappealing is the fact that the previous challenger I had in ATL was a V8 R/T with at least a fun sound. When I mean that was it for PDX, THAT WAS IT! No indulge/upgrade or any alternatives offered. I guess I should feel lucky that there was at least 1 SSAR for me... (darn the Northwest with its love of SUVs!!!)

Anyhow, ultimately I was destined for YVR, so I stopped in SEA around 3am with the guarantee in my mind of a better selection for an exchange.... WRONG! SEA WAS BARE BONES! 1 SSAR Camaro that had been abused and was unappealing, and 0 upgrades, and almost 0 vehicles at all. A few more ICAR/FCAR/SUVs... I was shocked and could seriously feel my Hertz or Avis status match becoming necessary... what was truly shocking about this extreme depletion was the fact that in the app I could've reserved a Ghibli for SEA outright for that very night and time in advance. What would've happened if I would've confirmed a Ghibli in SEA and it wasn't there?? (I AM a spoiled brat... poor me... first-world problems)

Well for giggles, the next day in YVR I stopped in to see an OVERFLOWING lot, BMWs everywhere, Challenger SRT with scat and Shaker, Maserati, etc etc... even ALAMO had a C7!?!? My eye was on a BRAND NEW 530i (never driven that engine variant on the 5) and was told they received their shipment from BMW early! All were beautiful, AND had M-packs on them. I went in to the counter, was brought directly to a member of management, and proceeded to start an exchange... He informed me I was ineligible due to my challenger having USA plates!?!?!? How is that a customer issue, and not a company issue? So I searched the conversation for alternatives, only to remain disappointed, and he even seemingly mocked me with a "I have a grand caravan with USA plates if you want" comment. I politely thanked him and left.

I guess I'm just overall shocked at the horrible condition of the selection in the Northwest. I mean, PDX/SEA can't HONESTLY be devoid of a back lot or two of additional vehicles?

Rant complete

I will be returning to SEA on the same routing next week, lets see what happens. I will seriously switch to Hertz for my Northwest travels if this continues...
Old May 30, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Midweek and especially at night, National doesn't have much of a selection in SEA. All the good rentals are gone for the week.

If you think National SEA is bad, Hertz isn't much better. The selection of Hertz SEA is the reason I'm renting with National.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, AA ConciergeKey (Former US Chairmans...), Lufthansa HON Circle, JAL JGC Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Midweek and especially at night, National doesn't have much of a selection in SEA. All the good rentals are gone for the week.

If you think National SEA is bad, Hertz isn't much better. The selection of Hertz SEA is the reason I'm renting with National.
That's disheartening to hear, especially since the I will be through SEA quite a bit in the coming months...

What do you usually select?

After reading your earlier post, they must have an additional holding lot for other vehicles?
Old May 30, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I usually choose a nice SUV in SEA. My preferred car is a Explorer Limited or top of the line RAV4.

I spend the majority of my time in Seattle, which has heavy and slow traffic in rush hour. Given how it rains all the time, I don't see the point of driving premium cars here. I can't even book LCAR on my corporate rate in SEA.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:39 am

So I'm collecting a car from SEA on a Sunday morning next month. Booked a PDAR as the Premiums usually have more luggage space than most SUVs (4 adults plus baggage). Is this time/day a good time to get a decent choice at SEA? FYI we're not remaining in WA after collecting the vehicle, but heading into OR and traveling onto Boston ultimately.
Is there any advantage in getting to the rental place (Alamo) early?
Old May 31, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Tues evening late (around 11pm) was all IFAR/MVAR on ES and EA was almost empty. For LCAR res I was given choice of waiting for them to bring one up or taking something from VIP... choices were a couple of MKS, an X3, and a '17 Navigator... I took the Navigator.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I usually choose a nice SUV in SEA. My preferred car is a Explorer Limited or top of the line RAV4.

I spend the majority of my time in Seattle, which has heavy and slow traffic in rush hour. Given how it rains all the time, I don't see the point of driving premium cars here. I can't even book LCAR on my corporate rate in SEA.
I can somewhat agree, however I ultimately end up in Vancouver on my SEA travels, and enjoy nice vehicles there and along the ride. Also, I'm just a sports car fanatic lol.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Tues evening late (around 11pm) was all IFAR/MVAR on ES and EA was almost empty. For LCAR res I was given choice of waiting for them to bring one up or taking something from VIP... choices were a couple of MKS, an X3, and a '17 Navigator... I took the Navigator.
Hey,

thank you for the update. I have got the same class res as you in July, so I do appreciate the info a lot.
I had to smile when I read your post, the Navigator would have been way to big a thing for me. But hope you were happy with it. Would've taken the X3 or asked for a different Sedan. MKS's exterior/face is just too ugly. Looks like my wife's depilator...

Cheers and safe travels

(Any other info by FT community on VIP at SEA is immensely appreciated)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I mainly went for the Navigator because I just got an Expedition back home and, honestly, I'm still getting used to the size and figured I'd continue the aclimation process. I was also hoping it would have Android Auto, but it didn't have the update. Otherwise I would have taken the X3 as well.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:54 am

I mainly went for the Navigator because I just got an Expedition back home and, honestly, I'm still getting used to the size and figured I'd continue the aclimation process. I was also hoping it would have Android Auto, but it didn't have the update. Otherwise I would have taken the X3 as well.

Really? Sync 3 does support it and it would be weird for a luxury mode to not offer sync 3 as standard.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:12 pm

Premium at SEA

So I've booked a PDAR for a Sunday morning at SEA. Is there likely to be a better choice at this time?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Really? Sync 3 does support it and it would be weird for a luxury mode to not offer sync 3 as standard.
It has Sync3 but plugging in my phone (with Android Auto installed) didn't launch it, and it wasnt present under "Apps" either. Is there something I'm missing? I assumed it required a dealer update which it didn't receive being fleet.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:10 pm

It has Sync3 but plugging in my phone (with Android Auto installed) didn't launch it, and it wasnt present under "Apps" either. Is there something I'm missing? I assumed it required a dealer update which it didn't receive being fleet.

I would go check settings. Will have options for Apple Carplay and Android auto
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:13 pm

There's a setting somewhere that will disable android auto. Don't know whether it comes that way by default for some reason, but I've seen it before (I know my wife complained about it on a rental she had once, and it took us a bit to find it). Should be an Android Auto preferences under Settings somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.