Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Dodge Charger R/T Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

2016 Dodge Charger R/T Ride Report

FCAR
- Avis rents them as Specialty vehicles, so if you can find at National on the ES, then congratulate yourself for saving some money.

Distinguished by blacked-out front end, 20-inch wheels, R/T badging.

Interior includes 8.4" touchscreen, but no rearview camera.

V8 engine

Conclusion: an interesting variation, but at the end of the day it's still a Charger and I don't like Chargers. V8 was fun to drive though.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Are those cloth seats?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: National Emerald, Avis Preferred Plus
Why do I feel not at all impressed by that interior? *

* - Poster is biased against Chrysler products, so this may have something to do with it.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kxc262
Are those cloth seats?
Yes, cloth seats, but they seemed more buckety than on SE.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Would probably be fun for a day, but it'd be low on my list for any longer amount of time or higher mileage rental.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:42 pm

We get them in SXT Plus trim in Canada as an FCAR. I was surprised at first as the same car is YF (specialty fullsize) at Hertz and usually requires an upcharge. In any case, the SXT Plus trim has a rearview camera and leather seats with the V6 VVT. The Charger is probably my favourite fullsize sedan due to the Uconnect system.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Schweden
We get them in SXT Plus trim in Canada as an FCAR. I was surprised at first as the same car is YF (specialty fullsize) at Hertz and usually requires an upcharge. In any case, the SXT Plus trim has a rearview camera and leather seats with the V6 VVT. The Charger is probably my favourite fullsize sedan due to the Uconnect system.
I'd take your SXT Plus trim over this lower-trim R/T for anything but a short rental, but if I had the selection you do I'd probably take a Genesis every single time it was available over pretty much anything LCAR and below.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'd take your SXT Plus trim over this lower-trim R/T for anything but a short rental, but if I had the selection you do I'd probably take a Genesis every single time it was available over pretty much anything LCAR and below.
I have never been able to find a Genesis on the ES. Usually, the only PCARs or higher on the ES are the Maxima, Taurus, Impala, and 300S. I'd still probably take a Charger SXT Plus over the Taurus.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:45 pm

I'd probably put the SXT Plus on-par with the other PCARs listed (assuming the Maxima was the new model and the Taurus had the nav SD card) which, for many booking FCAR, would make the Charger the better value. That said, my PCAR rate is exactly $1 more than FCAR (with Exec Elite class-of-service discount), so I usually book PCAR regardless.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta SM. National Executive. Priortiy Pass. Marriott. Hilton.
I had this car from CLE to SDF, put about 1,000 miles on it. Really enjoyed the HEMI V-8 in sport mode. That made a huge difference for me. No built in NAV which was a bummer. Great car to rent. Do not get it w/o the HEMI, I have seen those at LAS.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by burgy77
I had this car from CLE to SDF, put about 1,000 miles on it. Really enjoyed the HEMI V-8 in sport mode. That made a huge difference for me. No built in NAV which was a bummer. Great car to rent. Do not get it w/o the HEMI, I have seen those at LAS.

Actually there is a few reasons why the non V8 SXT model is better.... If you want to drive a sporty looking 4 door family hauler and require it to be a sedan. You live in say Canada and need AWD. Gas milage is also another reason. Also if your choice is an SXT and a Toyota camery I will pick the SXT. Also the V6 isn't that bad. I am currently renting the Durango GT and it has the same 3.6L V6 and it's adequate for the job. The HEMI would be great but I like the V6.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The V6 is plenty to make the Charger a comfortable cruiser with a little bit of kick. A bit more fun to drive than the other FCARs on the lot... and with an 8 speed transmission, 31 mpg highway. Does it have all the punch a V8 will? No... but keep in mind this is a full size sedan. If you want pure performance, it's not just a V8 you should seek, but also a smaller, lighter package...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.