Smoker in car?

Old Mar 15, 16, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Smoker in car?

I was on the highway and noticed somebody was in a rental car from National/enterprise or Alamo since it had one of those blue stickers on the side and the Barcode sticker on the windshield. It was I'm traffic which is why I noticed it was a rental. Anyways the dude was on his phone blabbing and smoking a cig with the windows closed. I wonder though do the people at National or etc really clean their cars from the smell? I don't mind the smell if somebody smoked and is talking to me but no way I want to smell it in a car I am driving.
Old Mar 15, 16, 5:47 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
On the phone, smoking, and driving, all at the same time? Talented dude.

Hopefully he'll get hit with a substantial cleaning charge when he returns the vehicle.

Not sure how to get rid of the smell other than taking it out of service and airing it out or doing some sort of chemical cleaning, but I know that spraying lots of air freshener into the vents appears to be one way they deal with the residual odor (saw them do it to my Premium class Subaru Legacy).
Old Mar 16, 16, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qs933 View Post
On the phone, smoking, and driving, all at the same time? Talented dude.

Hopefully he'll get hit with a substantial cleaning charge when he returns the vehicle.

Not sure how to get rid of the smell other than taking it out of service and airing it out or doing some sort of chemical cleaning, but I know that spraying lots of air freshener into the vents appears to be one way they deal with the residual odor (saw them do it to my Premium class Subaru Legacy).
Yeah ... I couldn't do it. Maybe if it was in the traffic I was in perhaps.
Old Mar 16, 16, 7:27 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
A couple of times I've gotten into a car on the Executive Aisle which was clearly been smoked in, and poorly covered up with way too much sweet-smelling air freshener. Whenever I get that strong air freshener smell I pick another car, because it's usually a matter of a couple of hours and I'll start smelling whatever horrible odor they were trying to mask.
Old Mar 16, 16, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
A couple of times I've gotten into a car on the Executive Aisle which was clearly been smoked in, and poorly covered up with way too much sweet-smelling air freshener. Whenever I get that strong air freshener smell I pick another car, because it's usually a matter of a couple of hours and I'll start smelling whatever horrible odor they were trying to mask.
Yeah luckily I haven't been in a car like that and the places I have rented from like LGA, JFK and a garage location near me. Cars have been clean and smelt Clean I guess ill call it? I just don't think it's fair that some people think it's ok to smoke in a rental car, destroy the car or etc.
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:57 pm

I cleaned rental cars for a couple years when I was in college.

If the smoker was courteous enough to leave the windows open while smoking, then a good vacuuming and scrubbing of all surfaces (including windows.. you'd be amazed and how much smell the grime on the inside of the windows holds) would usually kill most of the smell.

But if they left the windows up, it was almost impossible to completely remove the smell. Air freshener works for a couple hours, but since the smoke gets into the cabin air filters, it's only temporary.

A seriously smoked up car - especially if it was marijuana smoke - about the only thing we could do is pull it out of service, bathe it in febreeze, and park it in the sun with the windows open for a couple days.
Old Mar 17, 16, 9:56 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I had to do a vehicle exchange on a recent rental and was handed the keys to a horribly smoky Buick LaCrosse. Ended up spending $5 at a car wash to vacuum it out (ashes were everywhere) and bought a bottle of Febreze which I liberally sprayed on the seats and headliner. What I don't understand is how, when the ashes are literally all over the console and dash, someone doesn't think to wipe them up before putting the car back out for rent.
Old Mar 17, 16, 11:49 am

It happens way too often, and I'm not convinced the car companies *ever* go after the people responsible for it. I wish they'd enforce their restrictions and hit them with the fines, and ultimately ban repeat offenders.

There is a spray you can get (i honestly don't remember the name of it unfortunately) that's supposed to be pretty good at getting rid of the smoke smell. I know someone that bought a car that had a pretty smokey smell to it and she found that it did a pretty decent job, especially after really getting it into the air vents. (Not febreeze, it's something else.)
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:08 pm

Programs: National EE
I often travel to Dubai on business and rent cars from National and Hertz. Both companies fine you AED 1,000 (about $350 Canadian dollar) if you smoke in the car. National mentions it on contracts while Hertz tells you verbally when collecting the car. Hertz even takes it one step further and charges you for cleaning if you return the car with dirty/messy interior. I saw customers trying to get those fines/charges waived when returning the cars but both companies are very strict about these policies and ask them to pay the fine.
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
It happens way too often, and I'm not convinced the car companies *ever* go after the people responsible for it.
The simple answer is no, they don't, because it's virtually impossible to prove in the absence of actual butts and/or ash. All the smoker has to do is claim the odour was pre-existing.
Old Mar 18, 16, 7:05 am

It happens way too often, and I'm not convinced the car companies *ever* go after the people responsible for it. I wish they'd enforce their restrictions and hit them with the fines, and ultimately ban repeat offenders.

There is a spray you can get (i honestly don't remember the name of it unfortunately) that's supposed to be pretty good at getting rid of the smoke smell. I know someone that bought a car that had a pretty smokey smell to it and she found that it did a pretty decent job, especially after really getting it into the air vents. (Not febreeze, it's something else.)
I do remember reading one story of someone rather furious with a rental car company for putting him on a "do not rent" list due to smoking. As I recall he did admit to the smoking. Also seems like he was renting weekly from one location for quite a while before he was 'banned' so maybe if you are really stupid you do get caught!
Old Mar 18, 16, 7:48 am

I am a smoker, I use a spray called Ozium Air Sanitizer, works really well, I buy it at Walmart, not cheap, like $9.00 a can. I also user cabin filters with baking soda in them. While I don't rent cars often, I can relate with non-smokers and I do not smoke in the rentals.
Old Mar 18, 16, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HardDriving_Gman View Post
I am a smoker, I use a spray called Ozium Air Sanitizer, works really well, I buy it at Walmart, not cheap, like $9.00 a can. I also user cabin filters with baking soda in them. While I don't rent cars often, I can relate with non-smokers and I do not smoke in the rentals.
Why can't people be more like you lol. I just think in general since its not your car you should treat it like a friends or whatever. I am not a smoker but if I was I would never smoke in a friends car or anybody else car.
Old Mar 18, 16, 10:39 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Every smoker that rents often could be found out if simple data science was applied just as how easy it is to find out if someone was skimming credit cards at restaurants.

Mark all the cars that have been reported as having a smoke smell - cross reference that against other cars that have had reported smoke odors as well then cross reference the renter list. Chances are, they'll see the pattern and find out who the repeat offenders are and ban them from renting again.
Old Mar 18, 16, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by HardDriving_Gman View Post
I am a smoker, I use a spray called Ozium Air Sanitizer, works really well, I buy it at Walmart, not cheap, like $9.00 a can.
I'm pretty sure this is the one that I was trying to think of.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: