Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Way Rental Using Free Days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

One Way Rental Using Free Days

I already have a reservation made using my company's contract ID for a one way rental from EWR (Newark, NJ) to BNA (Nashville, TN) for 4 days - using my earned free days. With the free days and contract ID applied, the preliminary quote came out to be ~$35, which is just airport taxes and other costs for a full size rental.

However, since I have never done a one way rental before from National, I wanted to ask the group here a few questions because I could not find a solid answer in this forum or on the web:

1. I really wanted to reserve an SUV but I realized that my company's contract ID only allows for unlimited mileage up to a full size. If I reserved an SUV class, then I would be charged $.30/mile according to the quote estimate. With my contract applied in this reservation for this one way rental, if I were to just go down the Executive Selection Aisle (I'm EE) and find an SUV available, could I still choose the SUV rather than my reserved full size and still be honored the unlimited miles as part of my reservation since I'm allowed to still select cars in the Executive Aisle?

2. For this one way rental with the contract ID applied along with my free days, my total cost according to the preliminary quote is ~$35 which essentially is all of the airport fees and taxes. Is that what I should expect to pay by the time I return the rental to BNA? Or will there be other "one-way" rental fees charged on top of that, which is not part of the estimated quote? I don't want to be surprised by the time I drop the car off...

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: National EE
1. As an EE member when you get any car including SUV from the aisle you will get charged full-size/mid-size rate (depending on your reservation) with unlimited millage.

2. No, National won't charge you any extra fees such as one-way drop-off fee if your original reservation is a one-way rental. You will pay the same amount as indicated on your reservation.

Instead of using your company's contract ID you might wanna try to reserve a SUV using Emerald Club's contract ID and your free days to see if you get unlimited millage for the one-way rental (the cost would be the same; just airport fees and taxes).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matrixca7
1. As an EE member when you get any car including SUV from the aisle you will get charged full-size/mid-size rate (depending on your reservation) with unlimited millage.

2. No, National won't charge you any extra fees such as one-way drop-off fee if your original reservation is a one-way rental. You will pay the same amount as indicated on your reservation.

Instead of using your company's contract ID you might wanna try to reserve a SUV using Emerald Club's contract ID and your free days to see if you get unlimited millage for the one-way rental (the cost would be the same; just airport fees and taxes).
Thanks for the info!

So even though my reservation is for a Full Size with unlimited miles, I would still be able to choose SUV if available in the Executive Aisle and it'd still be unlimited miles for my one way rental?

As far as the extra fees for one-way drop offs, when does that come into play? My original (and current) reservation has me picking up from EWR and dropping off at BNA.

My company's contract ID also includes all inclusive-CDW, which I thought may be good especially for a long road trip from the northeast to southeast.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by matrixca7

This is 100% correct. If you book a mid-size for access to the aisle, you can pick up any vehicle on the aisle. SUV, van, truck, sedan.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Thanks for the info!

So even though my reservation is for a Full Size with unlimited miles, I would still be able to choose SUV if available in the Executive Aisle and it'd still be unlimited miles for my one way rental?

As far as the extra fees for one-way drop offs, when does that come into play? My original (and current) reservation has me picking up from EWR and dropping off at BNA.

My company's contract ID also includes all inclusive-CDW, which I thought may be good especially for a long road trip from the northeast to southeast.
That is correct. If your reservation is one-way, unlimited miles, and the total amount is $35 you can grab any car including a SUV from the aisle and you will pay $35 (no extra fees).

To ease your mind, ask for a copy of your contract at the exit booth to double check.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:34 pm

I already have a reservation made using my company's contract ID for a one way rental from EWR (Newark, NJ) to BNA (Nashville, TN) for 4 days - using my earned free days. With the free days and contract ID applied, the preliminary quote came out to be ~$35, which is just airport taxes and other costs for a full size rental.

However, since I have never done a one way rental before from National, I wanted to ask the group here a few questions because I could not find a solid answer in this forum or on the web:

1. I really wanted to reserve an SUV but I realized that my company's contract ID only allows for unlimited mileage up to a full size. If I reserved an SUV class, then I would be charged $.30/mile according to the quote estimate. With my contract applied in this reservation for this one way rental, if I were to just go down the Executive Selection Aisle (I'm EE) and find an SUV available, could I still choose the SUV rather than my reserved full size and still be honored the unlimited miles as part of my reservation since I'm allowed to still select cars in the Executive Aisle?

2. For this one way rental with the contract ID applied along with my free days, my total cost according to the preliminary quote is ~$35 which essentially is all of the airport fees and taxes. Is that what I should expect to pay by the time I return the rental to BNA? Or will there be other "one-way" rental fees charged on top of that, which is not part of the estimated quote? I don't want to be surprised by the time I drop the car off...

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Why do you need your company's contract ID if you're using free days? Shouldn't Emerald Contract ID include unlimited miles in general? Is it providing LDW? Under 25 coverage?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: British Airways non-rev, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Recommendation if you're using free days for one-ways: if you are driving to the destination in less time than booked (e.g., the original poster has a four-day rental, but might arrive at the destination after two and then drive locally for two), you should consider using the free days for only the enroute portion, and pay local rates for the remaining two.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by simairlinenet
Recommendation if you're using free days for one-ways: if you are driving to the destination in less time than booked (e.g., the original poster has a four-day rental, but might arrive at the destination after two and then drive locally for two), you should consider using the free days for only the enroute portion, and pay local rates for the remaining two.
Good suggestion I've never thought about it. Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Triggerhappy
Why do you need your company's contract ID if you're using free days? Shouldn't Emerald Contract ID include unlimited miles in general? Is it providing LDW? Under 25 coverage?
Yes, my company's contract ID provides LDW.

Thanks for the info Matrixca7! Yes, my reservation currently is showing as a one way rental from EWR to BNA currently for a full size. If I do see an SUV in the Executive Aisle, I'll plan to pick that up and expect to only be charged the original $35 that was quoted from my reservation - which are the airport fees and taxes.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by simairlinenet
But then you're at the mercy of the destination station who, if they so choose, could theoretically take the shiny SUV you scored at your start, and then hand you the keys to a Camry (if they're not an aisle location) or point you to the aisle where you can have your choice of Camry Camry or Fusion.

High chance of this happening? No. But it's greater than 0.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Beware of pitfall of included LDW

Yes, my company's contract ID provides LDW.

Thanks for the info Matrixca7! Yes, my reservation currently is showing as a one way rental from EWR to BNA currently for a full size. If I do see an SUV in the Executive Aisle, I'll plan to pick that up and expect to only be charged the original $35 that was quoted from my reservation - which are the airport fees and taxes.
If this is a personal rental, (coupons) many contracted rates include LDW for business rentals only, and if it's a personal rental, LDW is often excluded.

The risk in this scenario is that should you incur a loss and you did not specify personal use for your rental, you may end up between a rock and a hard place since National will not provide coverage, and your own insurance or credit card may not cover you because the contract will say LDW is included!

Really, the best idea is to book the SUV on a regular Emerald Club rate, apply your coupons, and go! The net cost will be the same as using your employer's rate, your own insurance or credit card coverage will apply, and you'll get the vehicle you really want with unlimited mileage.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
I want to drive from ORD to YYZ in April using EE free days, but the system wont let me book anything. Not even a paid reservation.

Can I book an ORD-ORD res, but just return the car to YYZ and expect to pay only the $2-3 using the EE free days?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by lardiop
I want to drive from ORD to YYZ in April using EE free days, but the system wont let me book anything. Not even a paid reservation.

Can I book an ORD-ORD res, but just return the car to YYZ and expect to pay only the $2-3 using the EE free days?
No one-ways are permitted into Toronto, and most likely all of Canada. I'm sure it would be very expensive to try and do an unauthorized drop as well.

YMMV
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lardiop

No, I strongly suggest not to do it as you would face a huge one-way drop off fee when you return the car in YYZ.

Try the App instead of the website or change your drop-off location to Wellington or Yonge-Bloor (if you don't fly out of YYZ after drop-off), and if it still doesn't work call the customer service and book it on the phone.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:35 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Don't quote me on it, but I believe the system blocks you from the cross-border one ways except within a certain radius of the US/Canada border. I've done DTW-YYZ before for the $2.00, and the site lets me dummy book other nearer-to-the border stations like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Boston, and New York City. The site blocks cross-border rentals originating from stations further away, such as Miami, Chicago, or Denver.

So, OP, your best bet is do a one way to Detroit and then another one way from Detroit to Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.